How many hours of overlap are you scheduled?

Spatchman

I'm more interested in the following major carriers: AA, DL, AS, UA, HA, WN, B6, F9, NK, FX, 5X...

How many hours are you contractually scheduled for? And subsequently, how many hours do you end up working day to day?

I've heard rumors that:

1) AA has 1 hour of overlap and even though they are scheduled 9 hours, they end up going home after 8.

2) WN has .5 hours of overlap and even though they are scheduled 8.5 hours, they end up going home after 8.

So... what's it look like for the rest of you at Delta, Alaska, United, Hawaiian, Frontier, Spirit, JetBlue, FedEx, and UPS?

Asking because the Dispatch Pay Spreadsheet does not account for this.

There’s an annual hours worked section on the spreadsheet for some of them. You’ll probably get mixed responses since it kinda seems like this is one of the few remaining secrets within the profession.

I'm more interested in the following major carriers: AA, DL, AS, UA, HA, WN, B6, F9, NK, FX, 5X...

How many hours are you contractually scheduled for? And subsequently, how many hours do you end up working day to day?

I've heard rumors that:

1) AA has 1 hour of overlap and even though they are scheduled 9 hours, they end up going home after 8.

2) WN has .5 hours of overlap and even though they are scheduled 8.5 hours, they end up going home after 8.

So... what's it look like for the rest of you at Delta, Alaska, United, Hawaiian, Frontier, Spirit, JetBlue, FedEx, and UPS?

The AA 1 hour overlap started at the beginning of the pandemic. It is not contractually guaranteed. It is subject to change. I wouldnt make career decisions on it.

The AA 1 hour overlap started at the beginning of the pandemic. It is not contractually guaranteed. It is subject to change. I wouldnt make career decisions on it.

Solid advice.

Also +1 for @flynryan692 putting together that pay spreadsheet (with community info). Even if it doesn’t have well defined scheduling details, it’s still solid to see a good enough picture to aid with decisions.

UAL is 0 min overlap, but there's a gentleman's agreement to come in 15 early for turnover. For example, morning shift ends at 1400 and afternoon shift starts at 1400, but the afternoon guy should come in at 1345 for the pass down

Last edited:

I've heard rumors that:

If everyone on this forum is smart, they're not going to divulge this information to you.

For WN:

Scheduled for 8.5, work 8. Overlap is technically 30 minutes, but it's expected that you show up early. Ex. AM guy scheduled to leave 1430, PM guy scheduled to come in at 1400. But PM spatcher shows up to ~10 early around 1350 so AM spatcher can get out of here by 1400. There are a few :59er's. But there's no penalty against them, formal or informal.

If everyone on this forum is smart, they're not going to divulge this information to you.
Why wouldn't we share? We share any and all aspects of our contacts and culture at each airline. We're too small and too connected to hide anything. We have an entire spreadsheet dedicated to pay and hours already. Sharing this information will only help us all when it comes to contact negotiation. Just remember, rising tides raise all ships

A friend at Delta got back to me for anyone that's interested:

It seems they have several different rotations and are scheduled for either 9 hours or 10 hours depending on the line... but when it comes down to brass tax it sounds like they go home 15 minutes early - so 8hr45mn and 9hr45mn shifts when all is said and done.

Why wouldn't we share? We share any and all aspects of our contacts and culture at each airline. We're too small and too connected to hide anything. We have an entire spreadsheet dedicated to pay and hours already. Sharing this information will only help us all when it comes to contact negotiation. Just remember, rising tides raise all ships
Because the hidden "freebies" aren't part of any of our contract, and no one should base their decision on which company to go to on turnover times and whether or not you get to leave early. I agree this small community should support one another in regards to negotiations, but that's not what I'm referring to at all here. Companies do read these forums, so if you want to divulge your group's inner-most workings, go ahead. I just hope no one knows your username.

Because the hidden "freebies" aren't part of any of our contract

But they are a function of how we work and what is expected of us at each airline... so they are highly relevant to our quality of life and our effective compensation

and no one should base their decision on which company to go to on turnover times and whether or not you get to leave early

This is your opinion but people base their decisions an all sorts of things... including which bars are nearby or what the average temperature is in July

I agree this small community should support one another in regards to negotiations

Then you agree with sharing this information :)

You want to make sure the flights you are handing down are legal and the other dispatcher is willing to accept them without any changes to the plan.

This cracks me up. I’m imagining someone getting an offer from a major and it hits most of the marks for QOL…. but they work 9.5 hr shifts.

“Dear Hiring Manager, I appreciate the offer but… TBNT. Waiting for the offer where I’m only scheduled for <8.5 hours per shift.”
Would you rather take over a desk with illegal ALTS on every flight or they are legal but were all ran MINF so everyone is gliding out of the sky towards their listed alt or random C70 station after being told hold for 15-30 minutes. Pick your poison. This is why good turnovers are key.

This cracks me up. I’m imagining someone getting an offer from a major and it hits most of the marks for QOL…. but they work 9.5 hr shifts.

“Dear Hiring Manager, I appreciate the offer but… TBNT. Waiting for the offer where I’m only scheduled for <8.5 hours per shift.”

Right, the scenario you described is laughable...

But now imagine the very real scenario in negotiating with your company to achieve a better quality of life...

Flights planned per shift...
Annual hours worked...
Compensation...

It ALL becomes relevant when we're negotiating for the best possible contract to benefit our selves and our colleagues...

Anybody here want to see their friends and families less often?

Well, use this information when you're fighting for what you deserve to have.

Right, the scenario you described is laughable...

But now imagine the very real scenario in negotiating with your company to achieve a better quality of life...

Flights planned per shift...
Annual hours worked...
Compensation...

It ALL becomes relevant when we're negotiating for the best possible contract to benefit our selves and our colleagues...

Anybody here want to see their friends and families less often?

Well, use this information when you're fighting for what you deserve to have.

This went from the opening curiosity/rumors, to then part of the decision making in accepting an offer and now to organized bargaining. I agree with what you’re saying. If you’re actively pushing for this within your shop, that’s great.

What you’re describing isn’t entirely new. I’m sure many dispatch groups within the industry are working towards better QOL conditions, including time worked, every chance they get on that negotiation table.

I support it. Maybe the times are just that good now where people can also decline offers from majors because of too many hours worked. This will lead to change. Can’t attract talent? Time to sweeten it up. That’s outstanding. Also, I’m for less time at work too.
I love my job, but love my time off more. :bounce:

Back