How many hours of overlap are you scheduled?

Ha! It’s the Big Ben’s. Suddenly they make me available as well.
Ah yes, the big money

43475279-young-happy-businessman-holding-a-big-dollar-bill-successful-finance-concept-successf...jpg

This cracks me up. I’m imagining someone getting an offer from a major and it hits most of the marks for QOL…. but they work 9.5 hr shifts.

“Dear Hiring Manager, I appreciate the offer but… TBNT. Waiting for the offer where I’m only scheduled for <8.5 hours per shift.”
Would you rather take over a desk with illegal ALTS on every flight or they are legal but were all ran MINF so everyone is gliding out of the sky towards their listed alt or random C70 station after being told hold for 15-30 minutes. Pick your poison. This is why good turnovers are key.
If you and your colleagues are scrambling at the end of your shift to add alternates and such, might I suggest flight following a bit closer? You shouldn't be having these issues very often. If this happens once in a blue moon, that's the job and you stay over your time to clean up your desk. If this happens often, you have more problems than a turnover time.

But they are a function of how we work and what is expected of us at each airline... so they are highly relevant to our quality of life and our effective compensation

This is your opinion but people base their decisions an all sorts of things... including which bars are nearby or what the average temperature is in July

Then you agree with sharing this information :)
The funniest part to me about this thread is y'all being overtly concerned with the free time on the company dime you get but trying to say it's for turnover, quality of life, and negotiation reasons. I'm sure that's what you're concerned about.

The company pays you for x hours. Y'all shouldn't be concerned about how many of those you can steal by quickly turning over and going home... because that's what it is when it comes down to it... stealing. I can guarantee that no mainline operates with less turnover time than most regionals (30+ mins) which is adequate for most operations. You will have the off chance that you work over your time for operations reasons but it's not the norm. They are mainlines and highly coveted positions for a reason.

There was no overlap at my regional, at least how it is being discussed here. The shifts overlap but they don't passdown to each other. When the shift was over you usually send two passdowns, one to somebody already a few hours (at least) into their shift containing everything on the ground, another to a dedicated "passdown" desk that flight followed whatever you had in the air. Desks were structured so that you shouldn't have very much to passdown at the end of the day, in the event of an IROP a bigger passdown could be coordinated. They accept the passdown, move the flights to their desk and you go home. No desk take over, or overlap, or any of that. It worked well imo.

The funniest part to me about this thread is y'all being overtly concerned with the free time on the company dime you get but trying to say it's for turnover, quality of life, and negotiation reasons. I'm sure that's what you're concerned about.

This is why I was cracking up too. It went from curiosity+rumors, to QOL, and then collective bargaining. If OP was asking for bargaining leverage at their shop, that's good on them.

There was no overlap at my regional, at least how it is being discussed here. The shifts overlap but they don't passdown to each other. When the shift was over you usually send two passdowns, one to somebody already a few hours (at least) into their shift containing everything on the ground, another to a dedicated "passdown" desk that flight followed whatever you had in the air. Desks were structured so that you shouldn't have very much to passdown at the end of the day, in the event of an IROP a bigger passdown could be coordinated. They accept the passdown, move the flights to their desk and you go home. No desk take over, or overlap, or any of that. It worked well imo.
It was like that at my regional as well where the shifts overlapped. At my last airline we took each others' desks but there was 30 mins for turnover. I've personally never heard of less than 30 mins turnover except for outside of 121 ops.

It was like that at my regional as well where the shifts overlapped. At my last airline we took each others' desks but there was 30 mins for turnover. I've personally never heard of less than 30 mins turnover except for outside of 121 ops.

I said there was NO scheduled overlap at United. For example, the overnight shift is scheduled until 6am and the morning shift is scheduled to start at 6 am. In order to have a turnover without the prior shift staying late, the oncoming shift has to come in before the start time

I'm more interested in the following major carriers: AA, DL, AS, UA, HA, WN, B6, F9, NK, FX, 5X...

How many hours are you contractually scheduled for? And subsequently, how many hours do you end up working day to day?

I've heard rumors that:

1) AA has 1 hour of overlap and even though they are scheduled 9 hours, they end up going home after 8.

2) WN has .5 hours of overlap and even though they are scheduled 8.5 hours, they end up going home after 8.

So... what's it look like for the rest of you at Delta, Alaska, United, Hawaiian, Frontier, Spirit, JetBlue, FedEx, and UPS?

Asking because the Dispatch Pay Spreadsheet does not account for this.
What's "overlap"?

This cracks me up. I’m imagining someone getting an offer from a major and it hits most of the marks for QOL…. but they work 9.5 hr shifts.

“Dear Hiring Manager, I appreciate the offer but… TBNT. Waiting for the offer where I’m only scheduled for <8.5 hours per shift.”
That makes perfect sense from a getting along amongst friends standpoint. Still, lines are drawn and defined for good reasons. If they don't hold, then they're not really well ... lines, then are they?

My favorite modern creep is ATC admonitions not to get within five miles of the edge of a TFR. Ok, so you defined and published an edge at 30nm and drew it on a map. If you want the edge to be 35nm, publish 35nm and draw that on the map.

Dear Chief Pilot, I know Vmo is .83, but I thought I'd be really valuable to the company and fly .86

Last edited:
What's "overlap"?

Most dispatch contracts have between 8.5 to 10 hour shifts. In a 24 hour operation, you cant run a desk continuously unless you have three 8 hour shifts. Different ways are used to manage this but at several companies for operational flexibility, the desks are run as 8 hours shifts even though the dispatcher is scheduled and paid for 8.5 or 9 hours. Thus the dispatcher can leave work much earlier than they are scheduled and being paid for. Example would be AM shift is scheduled for 8AM to 5PM and PM shift on the same desk is scheduled for 4PM to 1AM and the midnight shift from 12AM to 9AM.

I said there was NO scheduled overlap at United. For example, the overnight shift is scheduled until 6am and the morning shift is scheduled to start at 6 am. In order to have a turnover without the prior shift staying late, the oncoming shift has to come in before the start time
I read that first line wrong. But you just said you had overlap after saying you didn't. Passing to two people, one of which has been there for a couple hrs, would still be an overlap, yes? Not a desk overlap, but a different shift overlap so that you still have adequate time for passdown. That type of overlap between different shifts allows the workforce to expand or shrink depending on the scheduled demand.

I read that first line wrong. But you just said you had overlap after saying you didn't. Passing to two people, one of which has been there for a couple hrs, would still be an overlap, yes? Not a desk overlap, but a different shift overlap so that you still have adequate time for passdown. That type of overlap between different shifts allows the workforce to expand or shrink depending on the scheduled demand.

That would be overlap, but that isn't the case. There are no overlapping shifts or overlap on different shifts

Back