Housing prices

View: https://youtu.be/meDpNwem0Vo?si=Qj0bjdrN1jEB6Cp9

Written in 1972.

Seriously, dude. That's got nothing to do with it. SoCal is a desert, always has been. It's a LITTLE wetter than Arizona, and it happens to have more access to water from the hills. Water has always, always been the limiting factor in that part of the country, even when it was first settled in the 1800s.

That being said, if you're going to have more people there than is the extant supply because, hey, unrestricted growth = good, then you need to do something else about it. Distillation or osmosis plants. Takes a LOT of power. But, hey, no nukes, and carbon bad, so, good luck with that while trying to figure out how to charge your Tesla at night or when the wind don't blow.

Fusion is the answer, but it's a horserace to see what happens first.

I think people don’t realize just how much of California looks more like Arizona/Nevada than LA/San Fran/Sacramento.

Until you cross the last verticals mountain range, California is just as hot, harsh, and uninviting as the rest of the South West. Makes me wonder why anybody would put up with the cost of living/taxes/etc to live in Palmdale or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View: https://youtu.be/meDpNwem0Vo?si=Qj0bjdrN1jEB6Cp9

Written in 1972.

Seriously, dude. That's got nothing to do with it. SoCal is a desert, always has been. It's a LITTLE wetter than Arizona, and it happens to have more access to water from the hills. Water has always, always been the limiting factor in that part of the country, even when it was first settled in the 1800s.

That being said, if you're going to have more people there than is the extant supply because, hey, unrestricted growth = good, then you need to do something else about it. Distillation or osmosis plants. Takes a LOT of power. But, hey, no nukes, and carbon bad, so, good luck with that while trying to figure out how to charge your Tesla at night or when the wind don't blow.

Fusion is the answer, but it's a horserace to see what happens first.

I think people don’t realize just how much of California looks more like Arizona/Nevada than LA/San Fran/Sacramento.

Until you cross the last North/South mountain range, California is just as hot, harsh, and uninviting as the rest of the South West. Makes me wonder why anybody would put up with the cost of living/taxes/etc to live in Palmdale or Ridgecrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So the entire west coast will be waterless? Thanks liberals! ;)

On a serious note, what’s the solution? What does it look like 30-40 yrs from now?

I'd read the book. It's a good read and will probably give you a better outlook on where to live. Basically the West was settled during a very wet geological period. The author has documented 100 year and 1000 year droughts. It's hard to predict the timing but at any time we could start one of those cycles.

LAX, PHX and LAS are all dependent on lake Mead. It's a geologically unreliable water source. When the water runs out it's going to be bad.

I don't say it out loud too often but I think buying land with a water source east of the Cascades could be a really fantastic investment.

One thing our not so dearly departed was right about is that we need to double and triple down on figuring out mitigation strategies and incentivize people to move away from places that are either going to be out of water or under it. I mean we can let the insurance companies do it but that doesn’t seem to be going great at the moment.

Find your own inspector. See if you can make a few thousand back on a 'request for repairs.'

The roof is done for. 1990 original wood shake (oh I got words to say about that!) roof. Getting roof quotes $25-36k. I'm gonna try and ask for half that amount as seller credit.

Since agent is double dipping, he's gonna give $3,500 to both parties in closing costs.

There's a potential drainage issue I'm trying to get quotes for, but companies are booked a month out. How am I supposed to negotiate without work order estimates to back me up? Its damn nearly impossible to find a contractor to give me an estimate in the 17 day contingency window.

Some cool features too, like the top floor has its own AC compressor, heater unit, wall control; the bottom floor has its own AC compressor, heater unit, wall control. It's a 3,1xx sq ft house so it will be nice to turn air on where we need it most by floor, if needs be.

I mean, overall it's a good house. Most of it is minor stuff (sheath missing, electrical outlet within 4 ft of shower tub, garage door does not have kid-friendly reverse up sensors [that kinda is important], etc. etc.). I don't want to sweat the small stuff. I can get a general contractor to fix minor issues and not make a big deal of that in the inspection request for repair/credit.

I am open to opinions of course. :)

What kind of stuff did you guys send to the seller for a repair request or seller credit when you bought your homes?

The roof is done for. 1990 original wood shake (oh I got words to say about that!) roof. Getting roof quotes $25-36k. I'm gonna try and ask for half that amount as seller credit.

Since agent is double dipping, he's gonna give $3,500 to both parties in closing costs.

There's a potential drainage issue I'm trying to get quotes for, but companies are booked a month out. How am I supposed to negotiate without work order estimates to back me up? Its damn nearly impossible to find a contractor to give me an estimate in the 17 day contingency window.

Some cool features too, like the top floor has its own AC compressor, heater unit, wall control; the bottom floor has its own AC compressor, heater unit, wall control. It's a 3,1xx sq ft house so it will be nice to turn air on where we need it most by floor, if needs be.

I mean, overall it's a good house. Most of it is minor stuff (sheath missing, electrical outlet within 4 ft of shower tub, garage door does not have kid-friendly reverse up sensors [that kinda is important], etc. etc.). I don't want to sweat the small stuff. I can get a general contractor to fix minor issues and not make a big deal of that in the inspection request for repair/credit.

I am open to opinions of course. :)

What kind of stuff did you guys send to the seller for a repair request or seller credit when you bought your homes?

Basically, report everything and try and get credit for it. All is fair in love and war.

Without a contractor invoice/quote, am I just guesstimating the cost of the fix?

It's probably a lot more difficult to get a professional to get you a quote than the two times I have been through the process. All pre-covid. I'd lean on the realtor to actually earn their money at this point. Usually they have contacts but it sounds like in your case there might be a conflict of interest. Can't hurt to start calling roofers and see if they will get you a quote. Won't hurt to support them either with the job but I could see this being hard to do considering the state of the trades these days.

It's probably a lot more difficult to get a professional to get you a quote than the two times I have been through the process. All pre-covid. I'd lean on the realtor to actually earn their money at this point. Usually they have contacts but it sounds like in your case there might be a conflict of interest. Can't hurt to start calling roofers and see if they will get you a quote. Won't hurt to support them either with the job but I could see this being hard to do considering the state of the trades these days.
I have no idea about anywhere else but up here the last few years every builder/contractor is booked a year plus out and good luck getting any of them to call you back much less actually meet with you or finish giving an estimate. Pretty much have to know someone or physically corner them.

“S*** anyone wanna trade this high credit 3 day for their SE 2 day? I have some books I gotta turn back into the JNU lib. Please text before you grab”
I am thinking of trying to get a SEA library card while I’m down there, not so much because I think I’ll have time/brainpower to read more during training, but for once I’m on line having access to audio books for those junior reserve transcons

Roofers I got several quotes. That's not the issue. They seem hungry for business. It's the outside drainage experts and general contractors. Booked/busy.

As for the roof request, I know I'm not buying a new home. That said, a dead roof is a structural/safety issue. I'm thinking of asking for half roof value (eg, ask for 50% as seller credit). That's about 15k.

$25k for a roof is chump change. A roof in Florida is going to set you back $50-65k.

That was without the roof deck. Based on the current condition of the plywood, it's due for a new roof deck.

Singles new roof with roof deck, gutters, vent = $36k

Spanish tiles with roof deck, gutters, vent = $52k

You guys live in the wrong place(s). I'm in a 113 year old four-square, something like 1,000 - 1,100 sq. ft. floor plan, and paid less than 10K for a new roof just last month. That includes the replacement of rotted areas not covered by the initial quote. I didn't go with the low bidder, either. :cool:

ETA: Shingle roof. The house originally had slate, but the previous owner made the switch. Slate = $$$

EETA: Complete new roof deck is another level...

Back