Housing prices

It's crazy the stuff they come up with. I had an tribe two counties away require a 5K survey to be done in case there might be artifacts on my property. I plead my case to the county commissioner and they backed down.

We have tested 15 sites on the property. One came back at just above the detection limit for motor oil. Probably some • did an oil change and just spilled it. We removed a lot of soil and we did another test. Probably should have results today or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have tested 15 sites on the property. One came back at just above the detection limit for motor oil. Probably some • did an oil change and just spilled it. We removed a lot of soil and we did another test. Probably should have results today or tomorrow.

God forbid your neighbor has a low spot in his yard where puddles form. You’ll get block from putting up your tool shed because it’s a wetland.

Long overdue IMO.

I understand seller agents. They have to stage your home, list it, hold open homes, do showings, take offers.

What the eff does a buyer agent do?

We can all use realtor, zillow, redfin, etc, and find homes. I'm the one who finds the home. I'm the one who goes to the open house. The few times I've asked a buyer agent, how much should I bid? I NEVER got an answer that was market-specific and competitive, it was always a "the highest you feel comfortable with." Some of them even allowed me to bid list price, knowing they had offers at or above list price (what's the point?!). So I'm the one who found the home, went to the open house, and decide what price to bid.

The ONLY thing the buyer agent will do is submit the standard California Association of Realtor purchase offer form (16 pg document) with my offer numbers, a proof my downpayment, and a pre-approval letter. That is it!

After that, the next "tough" thing a buyer agent can do is negotiate on your behalf for seller repairs/credits after the home inspection.

THAT. IS. IT.

Everything else, the seller agent and the escrow office can handle. I just have to sign, sign, sign.

For this home purchase, it was listed at 1.375m. Knowing the market, I felt it was purposefully underlisted to drive more bids. So I decided to use the seller agent directly and told him, YOU be my buyer agent and as the seller agent, you tell me the price that would win this place and make the seller very likely to accept offer, and not have any bidding war situation. He is the one who suggested (well, directly said) that 1.425m would be a winner. To me, that still seemed underpriced for this house. I asked him if he was sure? He said yes. Offer accepted.

In the end, my first buyer requests for repairs/credit was accepted by the seller at full value (all 18,437 I asked for). There was no negotiation here. Had I used my own buyer agent, this would have been the same result.

So what good would a buyer agent have done for me? I was ready to offer 1.5m to 1.550m for this home. And my buyer agent would have been ABSOLUTELY thrilled to submit that offer. After all, they get 2.5% of that value.

The sellers are happy. I offered nearly 50k above, their father is dead, the house is empty, and the adult children are all getting their windfall. Why would they say no? I'm sure they aren't happy giving me back 18.5k to my closing costs, but the dollar signs are still too high for them to truly care. They still got 50k - 18.5k = 31.5k over their asking price.

And this seller agent said that since he's representing both sides, he would gift both sides, each 3.5k towards our closing costs as his way of saying thanks.

Looking at the paperwork, it looks like the agent commission is 64,125. On a 1.425m house that is 4.5%. I know per the listing the buyer agent fee is 2.5%, which means the agent only took a 2% seller commission (one of the lowest I've seen here). Usually, seller agents take 3-3.5%.

Last edited:
I have some books I gotta turn back into the JNU lib. Please text before you grab”

I know a guy that would rent RedBox movies for $1 while on a trip and return them to another location 2,000+ miles away for no other reason than they can. Never even watches the movie. They'd rent Eat, Pray, Love or something in VNY then return it in TEB the next day. Or Vice-Versa. Pilots are weird.

I know a guy that would rent RedBox movies for $1 while on a trip and return them to another location 2,000+ miles away for no other reason than they can. Never even watches the movie. They'd rent Eat, Pray, Love or something in VNY then return it in TEB the next day. Or Vice-Versa. Pilots are weird.

Haha this is up there with joining nextdoor app for a neighborhood thousands of miles away, and s***posting in it

Most people don't like a holes, but I can at least appreciate the creative ones

Amazing anyone has that level of energy for such random dickery.

I think people don’t realize just how much of California looks more like Arizona/Nevada than LA/San Fran/Sacramento.

Until you cross the last verticals mountain range, California is just as hot, harsh, and uninviting as the rest of the South West. Makes me wonder why anybody would put up with the cost of living/taxes/etc to live in Palmdale or something.

A lot of people don’t realize that CA isn’t a monolithic state.

Like I’m from the “Iowa” of California. Or aka as the “WAT?! This is California?” Region

It’s generally hotter than Arizona and most of the winter is in the 40’s and under a mixture of overcast and/or valley fog. At least Arizona is warmer and much more sunny than the area I’m from.

Like I’m from the “Iowa” of California. Or aka as the “WAT?! This is California?” Region

It’s generally hotter than Arizona and most of the winter is in the 40’s and under a mixture of overcast and/or valley fog. At least Arizona is warmer and much more sunny than the area I’m from.

Likewise Colorado.

A whole 1/3 of the state is essentially “West Kansas,” and then you suddenly and joyfully find yourself in the mountains after driving for 2 hours thinking John Denver was full of crap.

Likewise Colorado.

A whole 1/3 of the state is essentially “West Kansas,” and then you suddenly and joyfully find yourself in the mountains after driving for 2 hours thinking John Denver was full of crap.

I spent a week driving through Colorado. This is spot on. The eastern part of Colorado is essentially the same as Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming.

As for the rest, it ain't all Aspen or Steamboat...at ALL. Not even close.

They tightened up the codes in Florida somewhat after Andrew, but after the storms in the naughties, they really clamped down. Everything has to be windproof. Change out that ugly back door one weekend afternoon? Nope, the replacement has to be impact rated, even 20 miles inland. You got to pull a building permit, get a rated door, get a place that is certified to install it and then the county has to come out and inspect it in person. You're talking 3-4 grand, easy. For a door.

Places won't repair old windows, and if you replace them, yup, its gotta be impact glass. Doing a whole house is $80k, easy, if you do the sliders.

Roofs are more of the same. Everything has to be engineered, strapped down, oversized this and that. Do anything on the roof other than emergency repairs, and yup, pull a permit and everything has to be brought to code. Oh yea, good luck changing anything on it without HOA approval.

Part of the reason I won't be sad leaving.

When we were selling Kristie's dad's house down in The Villages (giggity) a lot of purchasers thought we were idiots and were trying to make those modifications as a condition of the sale.

"Sure, Ted, here's the price, no inspection, fast closing, take it or wait, sorry, another offer came in"

Likewise Colorado.

I see the visual!

Colorado is Mountain Nebraska.

I spent a week driving through Colorado. This is spot on. The eastern part of Colorado is essentially the same as Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming.

As for the rest, it ain't all Aspen or Steamboat...at ALL. Not even close.
This describes all the mountain west. My wife is from southeast Montana and we met and have lived off and on in Billings. When I tell people that they get all starry eyed and gush how much they love the state and the show.

Then I tell them we’re in the industrial east and while pretty in some places and ways it isn’t at all what they are thinking.

I see the visual!

Colorado is Mountain Nebraska.
Yes now back to California or Texas you imposters!

1699129828990.gif

Me hiding that I was born in Iowa and raised in Missouri…

Likewise Colorado.

When your fuel planning from BLV-APA was really tight, the last spot to land a high performance fighter jet anywhere in between is SLN. If you don't make the decision then, your life will get a lot worse quickly :)

Are you sure? I spent a bit of time at Shafter. It was mostly fields as far as you could see unless the Tule fog came in, driving required local knowledge or experience (this was before GPS and when a Thomas Guide was how you navigated). I remember driving up there to deliver some sort of a warbird prop with my boss/best friend at the time in our companies little flat bed Toyota going up the 99 at 20mph hoping a big rig wouldn't crush us from behind. We made it eventually and suddenly the sun came out. We did what anyone in that circumstance would do and stayed for the BBQ. It was a different time.

Are you sure? I spent a bit of time at Shafter. It was mostly fields as far as you could see unless the Tule fog came in, driving required local knowledge or experience (this was before GPS and when a Thomas Guide was how you navigated). I remember driving up there to deliver some sort of a warbird prop with my boss/best friend at the time in our companies little flat bed Toyota going up the 99 at 20mph hoping a big rig wouldn't crush us from behind. We made it eventually and suddenly the sun came out. We did what anyone in that circumstance would do and stayed for the BBQ. It was a different time.

Completely sure, it’s where I grew up.

$44k for a kitchen remodel (plus appliances) sound about right? Changing tube lights to recessed lighting, new cabinets, countertops, backsplash, sink, under cabinet lighting, and appropriate holes in the wall for gas range exhaust and water line.

I wish I had the skill and patience to do this kinda crap myself. But with three young ones, I have zero desire to get my hands dirty for anything right now.

Back