Housing prices

nibake

Powder hound
Am I the only one feeling like we are due for a recession, that a quarter million is a crazy figure for the median house price, and that maybe this isn't such a good time to buy a house?

Am I the only one feeling like we are due for a recession, that a quarter million is a crazy figure for the median house price, and that maybe this isn't such a good time to buy a house?

Depends upon where the house is. Home prices are probably tied more to interest rates than recessions.

There aren't a ton of inflation adjusted home price indexes, the Case Schiller would say they aren't cheap though: Case Shiller Home Price Index

Despite the fact that this is under "investment" I'm asking more for the purposes of a dwelling than an investment, although those is some crossover.

I am in the process of trying to buy a house. Don't know where you are, but a quarter-million will not buy you something you really want in a lot of markets. In some markets, 250,000 won't buy you a 1 bedroom condo.

To @drunkenbeagle's point - it depends entirely on where you are.

Are we due for a recession? Maybe. But the fact is that real estate is an excellent place to park money, and there is a LOT of money out there looking for places to park.

We sold our house in the Denver area last fall when we moved to Asia. I did consider renting it, but I really think that particular area is very due for a correction. The median house price in Denver is now over $400k, and this is for absolute crap that needs a lot of work. I don’t regret selling it at all, and we’re staying out of the market for a few years until some sanity returns.

Are we due for a recession? Maybe. But the fact is that real estate is an excellent place to park money, and there is a LOT of money out there looking for places to park.

I will disagree the real estate is an excellent place to park money. It has a negative carrying cost (you pay taxes and insurance) to own it. If it has great cash flow, for instance if it is rented for considerably more than those costs - it can be good. Or if you live in it for a cost less than renting. But owning for the sake of owning? Lots of other assets can outperform real estate.

I will disagree the real estate is an excellent place to park money. It has a negative carrying cost (you pay taxes and insurance) to own it. If it has great cash flow, for instance if it is rented for considerably more than those costs - it can be good. Or if you live in it for a cost less than renting. But owning for the sake of owning? Lots of other assets can outperform real estate.
Yep, own because you want to own, or because you can make good cash flow on rent. Not because “it’s a good investment!”

Yep, own because you want to own, or because you can make good cash flow on rent. Not because “it’s a good investment!”

Using myself as an example - my house sounds great in the last 7 years. Definitely worth more than I paid for it, but I've forked over $80,000 in interest, and $75,000 in taxes and insurance for the "investment." That's about the premium it would sell for over what I bought it for. Had I just bought it and not lived in it, it would be a substantial loss in real dollars. It's been a nice place to live though.

Using myself as an example - my house sounds great in the last 7 years. Definitely worth more than I paid for it, but I've forked over $80,000 in interest, and $75,000 in taxes and insurance for the "investment." That's about the premium it would sell for over what I bought it for. Had I just bought it and not lived in it, it would be a substantial loss in real dollars. It's been a nice place to live though.
When punjab isn't over drinking all your beer.

It's nice having control over my housing costs. With renting those go up without getting any of the benefit of appreciation.
Sure if things always appreciate or if you plan on staying in the same house for the duration. I just don't want to get caught in a house i don't want to live in forever and have the market tank. Been there done that.

Sure if things always appreciate or if you plan on staying in the same house for the duration.

And, you know, the transaction costs of selling. Which are quite a bit more than zero. Renting a house in my neighborhood is currently cheaper than owning.

Sure if things always appreciate or if you plan on staying in the same house for the duration. I just don't want to get caught in a house i don't want to live in forever and have the market tank. Been there done that.
You first have to make a purchase before the market has hyperinflated. My total holding costs with utilities and repair reserve is $1,000. No way I would find similar to rent for under $1,500.

You first have to make a purchase before the market has hyperinflated. My total holding costs with utilities and repair reserve is $1,000. No way I would find similar to rent for under $1,500.
Ok but what if you want to move in the current environment.

Back