Hotel strength training

Xcaliber

El Chupacabra
Here's something I've been having issues with for a loooong time. I do plenty of aerobic stuff while on the road (running outdoors or treadmill, elliptical, bike, swimming if the pool is big enough, etc), but I've found strength training to be rather difficult to do consistently. Hotel weight machines range from none to 30 year old pieces o' crap to a full on modern gym.
Let's give ideas with the end goal of finding a workout routine that gives consistent full body strength training, using only bodyweight and/or the items and space that can be found in an average hotel room, plus maybe some easily packed items like resistance bands.

Body-weight training for arms, chest, and core is easy:
- Pushups of various sorts
- Bicep, tricep curls, and shoulder raises (using bands, suitcases, or other weighted objects around the room).
- Crunches, planks, wall sits, etc.

Legs are a bit more difficult, but still possible:
- Squats
- Plies
- Burpies
- Lunges
- Calf raises

Back workouts seem nearly impossible without a pullup bar. Any ideas on hitting both the upper and lower back?

Gold star:
- Finding ways to increase weight above just bodyweight as you get stronger. As an example, squats:: I can do them, but I have to do 25-30 reps before I feel anything. I'd really like to find a way to get my reps down to around 8-10. I've tried pistol squats, but I lack the flexibility necessary to do them all the way, plus I don't feel the work the whole leg as well as regular squats.

How heavy is your suitcase?

I have used free weights for years to add extra weight to my normal body weight exercises. While a suitcase might not be tons of weight it can still add some weight to the routine. Just as a thought out side of the box.

I can never get a good weight workout in a hotel gym, they are all a joke. I just leave it to cardio and isometrics at the hotel.

Let's give ideas with the end goal of finding a workout routine that gives consistent full body strength training, using only bodyweight and/or the items and space that can be found in an average hotel room, plus maybe some easily packed items like resistance bands.

Look for videos that feature functional fitness and HIT to pick up a good series of exercises to add, they are generally going to be body weight only, calisthenic, and isometric focused, no or minimal gear needed - some might show stretch bands.

Here's a few I do regularly.

For back, try single leg glute bridges, table tops (down on all fours but face up), scrambles, dive bomber pushups...also I'm not sure what they are called, but go face down on all fours (not knees) then lift and hold up opposite arms and legs, so you only have one hand and foot on the ground. Also, holding in a pushup position do dumbbell rows.

For legs, wall squats/electric chair, sumo squats, rapid air squats, lunges, lateral lunges, ice skaters, single leg squats reaching across body with opposite hand to touch the ground outside your planted foot (good for leg strength and balance).

I like dumb bells for a lot of this, maybe the water filled dumb bells would work in a travel kit? dunno haven't tried them.

google convict conditioning. The book is real easy to find for free in pdf format. Requires little to no equipment and has a clearly defined progression for each exercise group.

Pushups, burpies, Russian twists, lunges. Takes about 30 minutes to do a circuit of 4 sets each. Easy, no equipment required. In better hotels, supplement with weights in the fitness room. The prison yard workout, however, I prefer, because it's fast and you don't have to rely on the hotel's equipment, which is usually either decrepit or downright dangerous.

Try changing the position of the squat, lunge ect. By changing the angle you go, ie. go at a 45 degree or side lunge, deep squat, calf raises with your feet pigeon toed. You will feel the burn!! Go for a run if able around the hotel find a park bench, do tri dips, incline/decline push ups, and step ups with a knee raise.

Looks good I think...try something like this, each set is 20 secs on and 10 sec off...so no rest between exercises. Here is a example 18 min plan:

Jumping Jacks - 8x (20s-on/10s-off)
Push-ups-4x
Body weight squats-6x
Burpee's-6x
Lunge jumps-4x
Running Hi-knees-8x

I've had a lot of success with resistance bands. If the resistance isn't enough, get a tougher band or wrap it a couple times.

Alternatively: yoga.

I just get a ride to a Planet Fitness. Paying the extra $10 / month is better than the hotel weight rooms.

I just get a ride to a Planet Fitness. Paying the extra $10 / month is better than the hotel weight rooms.

That's what I used to do also...except it was Anytime Fitness. Depending on what caliber of hotels you stay in, they sometimes will have day rates/passes for the guests at local gyms. It never hurts to quick ask the front desk on check in.

Kind of raising this thread from the dead since I want to start doing something other than sitting on my ass (you can totally say that here) all day, every day, and the fact I'm living in hotels. Can anybody suggest a good schedule for this kind of stuff? Not what amount of days for starting out but how many reps/sets are a good start? Obviously it's going to depend on a few factors but any suggestions would be cool.

Probably the only thing I miss about being a ramper is I definitely feel scrawnier now that I'm not chucking bags 10 hours a day. :D

Wow, I don't know how I missed most of these responses. I'm definitely going to have to check out that convict conditioning.

Kind of raising this thread from the dead since I want to start doing something other than sitting on my ass (you can totally say that here) all day, every day, and the fact I'm living in hotels. Can anybody suggest a good schedule for this kind of stuff? Not what amount of days for starting out but how many reps/sets are a good start? Obviously it's going to depend on a few factors but any suggestions would be cool.

Probably the only thing I miss about being a ramper is I definitely feel scrawnier now that I'm not chucking bags 10 hours a day. :D

It depends on what you exercises your doing, as well as your goals, but in general*:
- When you're first starting out (about a month or so), do 3-5 sets at 15-30 reps each. Obviously, you'll be using fairly light weights. Focus on form and body positioning. The goal is to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly and forming muscle memory, not to build strength.
- After you're comfortable with doing things correctly, then move towards strength building. Do 3-5 sets at 5-8 reps each (heavy weights). Don't do this for too long (no more than a month), or you'll get muscle imbalances.
- After that, it's on to whatever your goal is. If it's to build mass, keep lifting, but eat a lot :D If your goal is more for quick movements (think football or basketball), incorporate plyometrics or calisthetics. If you just want to look good, make sure you're doing cardio, and bring the weight down and do 2-4 sets at 10-15 reps. That makes for a good general workout.

Some general guidelines
- Proper form is everything.
- Use free weights when you can, instead of machines, as free weights use a lot more of the small and stabilizing muscles in your body that machines don't hit.
- Separate strength training sessions by at least 48 hours, your body needs time to recover.
- If possible, try not to get into a "routine" in the weight room. What i mean is, don't always do the same pushups. Do, wide, narrow, regular, diamond, etc, just to work different muscle groups. Do burpies, squats, plies, leg presses, etc.
- One thing I was taught, is to do push-pull exercises, or work opposite muscle groups at the same time. For example, do a set of bicep curls, then do a set of tricep extensions. This allows the opposite muscle group (biceps) to rest while you're focusing on the other one (triceps). It also has the advantage of not wasting time in the gym. You don't have to sit and wait between sets.
- Always do core work (sit ups, wall sits, crunches, planks, etc).
- Never swing! I see people doing this all the time. Use your muscles to move weights, not momentum. Otherwise, what's the point in doing it at all?

* I am in no way a health or lifting expert, so take this as you will. Get some instruction from a certified personal trainer.

Tacfit Commando 2. Just started doing it. It's kinda cornball with how it's laid out (three levels, Recruit, Grunt, and Commando), along with three "missions," but I can attest that the workouts are intense as hell. Can easily be accomplished with bodyweight only in an area no larger than a yoga mat.

It's laid out well, and is based on the 20/10 Tabata protocol on the moderate and high-intensity days. 6 exercises, 8 sets each (24 minutes total). @bunk22 laid out something similar in his post above, but I like having a good program to work along with.

Looks like good stuff and yeah, it's difficult to work out at some hotels.....very limited facilities. I like the Tabatta stuff but often, I would just do 150 burpees...about all this again body can handle sometimes. Younger, do more.

Back