A day in the life of an American 737 FO

m13dr-phil.jpg

I remember back in the blasted, hateful days of the 99, I'd drive at rotation speed to get in front of anything airline (with the exception of SWA, obviously).
Even SWA is god awful slow now to be honest. But I have come to an agreement with you. The 99 is the worst airplane I've ever flown. What a gigantic piece of crap.

My motto for my trips are now..."whatever, I'm here until _____(the end of my four day)". Basically I don't work my self up over gate agents who don't list me for PS, maint not showing up in a timely manner, rushing around. If they don't see the urgency then neither do I. Like I said, I'm here till whenever. Now on day 4 it is a whole different ball game.

And some buy into it more than others! :)

Well, I mean they said thanks for all that we do! Plus, they give us Acey Day and Aceypalooza and Mini-Indy and....my God...let me get my composure over my excitement...The ExpressJet Film Series! I mean they love us! And although we face challenges, it's important to be cost competitive for our mainline partners. :bounce:

Seriously, though, the best advice I got before I switched from one mainline partner to another (based in a city, by a lake with lots of wind) was that no one up here that works or runs this operation give an excrement, so for your mental health don't give an excrement either. Best advice I've ever gotten. Like the AA guy, I admit it was very hard at first to break the habits of wanting to fix everything. Over time, though, I've gotten pretty good at it. Yelling, getting red in the face, pushing your blood pressure though the roof, stomping your feet, etc is not going to make a ramper or gate agent move any faster. You called for it or asked for it. Just sit and wait for it to happen. You (as the Captain) control the parking brake. Don't release it until you get what you need. Very hard concept for some.

Wow really? So if you dont get on do they get you a hotel, roll your day off and you get junior manned then following day?

My experience a few weeks ago was this - the night before we were delayed and returned to IAD in time to see our original deadhead flight leave. Deadhead #2 is delayed by 2 hours for mx, we board up, taxi out and sit at the end of the runway for another 2 hours (ATL ground stop) before the flight cancels. Deadhead #3 pushes back as I'm running up to the gate. Deadhead #4 (last flight, would have been a 16+ hour day) is oversold and I get bumped. Get an overnight at the Hampton Cascades and try Deadhead #5 in the next morning successfully for min-day pay. For my trouble the day before I barely get over minday credit and had to fight tooth and nail to even get that.

My understanding of the UAL/L-ASA positive space policy is that if scheduling does not confirm a spot on the flight before it is oversold, we get bumped off. If I had know that, I could have jumpseated on DAL and been home.

I was deadheading the other night on AA. Headed to RDU for an overnight. Absolutely beautiful evening there. Calm winds, dry, 65 degrees. We landed on 5L and juuust managed to make B8 before a 10 minute taxi to the gate just off T6.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1210/00516AD.PDF

Was probably one of the most comfortable landings I've ever felt. :)

I find it funny how management is throwing the pilots under the bus and blaming all the recent delays and cancellations on them. Gee, I wonder who was making it work so well until recently? Take away everything but their jobs, all they're going to do is exactly what the job says to do. I absolutely stand behind the AA pilots.

I think we can all take a lesson from this... Maybe when the PILOTS, the guys that really do keep everything moving, stop caring management will figure it out... maybe.... Then again, after watching the GB game last night, I am beginning to wonder if that would even make a difference.

There is a slight difference. The NFL didn't go under, waiting for the refs to get through IOE and so far, the NFLs quality and enforcement department (FAA) isn't pink slipping refs at the same rate the FAA would if new Checkairmen suddenly had to train 98% of a pilot group of new pilots. IF any airlines would survive the same scenario, that's what you would see.

Wow really? So if you dont get on do they get you a hotel, roll your day off and you get junior manned then following day?
I would view it as a tacit admission of "everyone commutes" — well, except for me of course...

(Does not make it any less crappy.)

Back