Hom much for helo private?

n57flyguy

Generally speaking, how much does it cost to earn your private helo rating? How many hours do you need? JUst curious to know because you hear about fixed wing training as 7-8k, but not much about helos. I know there must be some things in price differences such as the model helo and school you train at. Any help eould be much appreciated. Thanks

Paul, helo pozer:p

I think the average is 10- 14k. Most schools train in the R-22. With an add-on you can expect about 30hrs or more. The reason for this is SFAR 73 to part 61. You have to have 20 hrs of dual in a Robinson to recieve your solo endorsemt

Yeah the reason for the dual is high time airplane pilots were jumping in the 22 and killing themselves. Its not that the 22 is a bad aircraft it is just finicky sometimes.

Yeah, the engine failure that is a non-event in an airplane at altitude is a life-altering experience in a helicopter.

Originally posted by ChinookDriver
Yeah, the engine failure that is a non-event in an airplane at altitude is a life-altering experience in a helicopter

You can say that again (unless you have a multiengine helicopter). You just seat back and relax; file your nails, fold the newspaper and say "#1 eng failed"

1. Collective - adjust as required to maintain RPM R.
(2) External cargo/stores - jettison if required.
3. Establish single engine airspeed
4. Land as soon as practicable.
5. pick up the news paper again.:D

UH60driver said:
You can say that again (unless you have a multiengine helicopter). You just seat back and relax; file your nails, fold the newspaper and say "#1 eng failed"

Im down with that:rawk: Helos must be easy to fly:sarcasm:

UH60driver said:

Well, number 2 becomes a bit tricky if your cargo is internal and you're at max gross. I'm not at liberty to say who did this, but I know of an aircraft that started chucking ammo and MREs off the ramp while *trying* to cross a 12,000 foot pass in Afghanistan. ;)

ChinookDriver said:
Well, number 2 becomes a bit tricky if your cargo is internal and you're at max gross. I'm not at liberty to say who did this, but I know of an aircraft that started chucking ammo and MREs off the ramp while *trying* to cross a 12,000 foot pass in Afghanistan. ;)

Come on? how much was thrown out to make a difference in a CH-47? But hey, gotta do what 'cha gotta do.

Back