Hiring boom in ~5 years?

Quick questions for those blaming Age 65 for the dilemma of the youth at the airlines:

1. Since seniority is the name of the game at the airlines, shouldn't what those senior to you....ala staying with their job vs going when the law allows for it now.....shouldn't they have that right since they theoretically "earned" it, and are ahead of you? To use the title of the other thread here......haven't they "paid more dues" than you?

2. If the roles were reversed, would you be willing to leave for the sake of some co-pilot far down the list saying you should since he feels his career is stagnating?

Just curious........
Its all about me Mike, I thought you knew :D

Quick questions for those blaming Age 65 for the dilemma of the youth at the airlines:

1. Since seniority is the name of the game at the airlines, shouldn't what those senior to you....ala staying with their job vs going when the law allows for it now.....shouldn't they have that right since they theoretically "earned" it, and are ahead of you? To use the title of the other thread here......haven't they "paid more dues" than you?

2. If the roles were reversed, would you be willing to leave for the sake of some co-pilot far down the list saying you should since he feels his career is stagnating?

Just curious........

1. Yea, well now they have the right to since this asinine law was put into place. Can't blame them for that.

2. If the roles were reversed I absolutely would have been fine leaving at 60. 60 years old will have put me at 38 years in the airline business. If by then I am still struggling paycheck to paycheck that I got to stick it on five more years thats my own fault. Unless some kind of life altering event happened but you can't use that excuse for the 98% of over 60ers that are sticking around.

1. Yea, well now they have the right to since this asinine law was put into place. Can't blame them for that.

Better get used to it... you're going to see more and more ICAO stuff coming on in the future. Do you know how to read ICAO equipment codes for aircraft? We're not going to have /Q forever to indicate RNAV+TCAS or whatnot....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Might want to check this out: http://www.age60rule.com/

What about the "English Proficient" on your certificate? ICAO!

Get used to it... check out the ICAO annexes.... things that you see in there that aren't in the US.... aren't there "yet".

Better get used to it... you're going to see more and more ICAO stuff coming on in the future. Do you know how to read ICAO equipment codes for aircraft? We're not going to have /Q forever to indicate RNAV+TCAS or whatnot....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Yeah, that is coming. Just like everything else adopted, from airspace to WX reporting. Ugggh.

What about the "English Proficient" on your certificate? ICAO!

What's funny is that the FAA stamps "English Proficient" on new cert cards without even knowing if said person is, in fact, english proficient!

Yeah, that is coming. Just like everything else adopted, from airspace to WX reporting. Ugggh.

What's funny is that the FAA stamps "English Proficient" on new cert cards without even knowing if said person is, in fact, english proficient!

I'd love to see a change to the PTS guides that provides for the examiner to determine whether the applicant is English proficient.... speak, read, write, and understand it!

I'd love to see a change to the PTS guides that provides for the examiner to determine whether the applicant is English proficient.... speak, read, write, and understand it!

New part of the PTS should have to now have the applicant write an essay in English, to be graded by the examiner; have the student/applicant read several passages from FAA selected novels to prove english reading competency, as well as have a conversation in english.......in any dialect the examiner deems necessary :D

Nook nook clack Nick nook Nick click clack proficient cluck nook engrish cluck nook clack cla k...

We'll go thru a boom, we'll go thru another bust. Some people are able to hit the sweet spot pre-boom and when it eventually (realistically) go bust, there are some people who are going to be on the street.

DO NOT choose aviation because of the talk of a "hiring boom" -- besides, the "hiring boom" might not be at a career level that where when things go bust, you may not be able to sustain yourself at that point for an extended period of time.

The danger in considering getting hired at a regional with 300 hours as a fantastic time to get into aviation is a double-edged sword. When the economic hammer swings the other direction, which it always does, you don't want to find yourself on the bottom of a shrinking seniority list with 800 hours, 500 hours of jet while still not being able to meet the basics of IFR part-135 PIC which is where a lot of people got burned in the past year because you have few options.

Consider the time from commercially rated until roughly 1500 hours and pre four year degree like the airspeed from VR to your first red line in a beat up DC-6 with radial engines overdue for a major overhaul.

I believe the new rest requirements may effect some carriers that aren't properly stafffed. It would atleast bring some of the furloughed pilots back. That will bring you one step closer to being inside the cockpit of a carrier.

Every pilot working and on furlough right now can thank every pilot over age 60 that continues to fly that made this profession for us (what is left of it thanks to the regionals we all work for). Also I thank the business cycle that I even have a deep reserve job on a shiny jet. I'm also so lucky to have a job that I'd never complain about the age 60'ers.

Some typos up there. Fixed them.

Unless some kind of life altering event happened but you can't use that excuse for the 98% of over 60ers that are sticking around. Of of I'm just joking when I make statements like this. I fully know how dumb I sounds saying something like this and would never try to characterize someone desire to continue working to possibly pay bills or help that retirement package that I paid for and was robbed from me. I mean really guys, I don't mean to sound dumb, I'm just saying some things off the cuff and I really have no idea what I'm talking about.:rawk:

Couple more typos.

Just got word CAL will furlough 308 this fall if they can't get enough oldtimers to retire early....this Age 65 rule is KILLING the youth in this industry. Who's bright idea was this? I don't ever want to hear pilots blaming joe six pack or management for their problems. You want to point the blame, take a look at the person sitting next to you on the flightdeck. Pilots are, and will ALWAYS BE, their own worst enemy.

ick

Just curious........

That is the union mentality. Get the the top and piss on everyone below you.

Some typos up there. Fixed them.

Couple more typos.

1/5 of riddle either (When I was there)

Multiquote, FTW.

That is the union mentality. Get the the top and piss on everyone below you.

Seems like Trip7's mentality is "get out of my way old man, shouldn't you be in a home!?"

Any of those 60-65'ers get in this biz with 300hours? Just seems to me there is a lot of assumption that these guys got paid big bucks for 30 years and its someone elses turn. As much as I hate getting into spreading the wealth discussions with folks online, a reminder should be sent out to some folks in the form of their childhood "banky" and bottle with momma's milk in it.

Maybe I'm the only one embarrassed reading this shlock. Much like a train wreck, however, I can't turn away.

Absolutely true. The hiring boom they speak of actually started in 04-05 and ended abruptly middle of last year due to the Age 65 rule. If age 65 never happened it would be a whole different story right now.

Every pilot on furlough right now can thank Every pilot over age 60 that continues to fly.

I'm sorry, that's the most absurd piece of garbage I've ever read.

I guess every pilot age 60+ is the reason for the economic downturn, and a decrease in air travel, right?

What caused this problem were the airlines themselves, and all the zero-to-hero pilots who felt that they were entitled to go into an RJ with 250 hours and a BS 5 hour RJ course. If anyone should have a right to entitlement, its the 60+ pilots who have worked their entire lives in this industry.

If you wanna know where to place the blame, take off the aviators, try to stop styling your hair for a minute, and take a good, long look in the mirror.

1 thing I know is that this industry is VERY unpredictable.

10 years ago a differnt picture was at hand.

Then again we might be seeing an evolution of this industry like or not tha's what were seeing.

1 thing I know is that this industry is VERY unpredictable.

10 years ago a differnt picture was at hand.

Then again we might be seeing an evolution of this industry like or not tha's what were seeing.

And at that, a VERY different picture!

Back