Hiring boom in ~5 years?

For the OP, finish college and start saving your money now for flight training either concurrently with college or after.

There will be hiring imho for the reasons stated above, but build the foundation first, not the roof. There will be doors shut if you don't have the degree, if the hiring goes crazy and you want to change, there is always the ATP type outfits that can take you zero to hero in 6 months.
Goodluck:D

It's rough seeing STL, PIT etc... friggen ghost towns. Granted I think STL was done in by more than just twa.. as was PIT... but it's sad to see such nice facilities sooooo empty.

Well, if y'll just stop watching CNN and reading USA today, you’ll find out that this current administrations "Change" Initiative involves heavy focus on infrastructure... So what you ask yourselves? This means the creation of improved railway systems. Ok, what’s my point? The point is that if you look at www.whitehouse.gov or state government websites you’ll see that the purpose of improving railway systems is so that people do not have to fly (which causes more pollution and is not environmentally friendly :) ) to neighboring cities. WITHIN A 500 MILE radius. So as basic Microeconomics suggests this will eliminate the NEED for Regional Routes around LA as a result eliminate the SUPPLY for airplanes/routes, in return delete DEMAND of people to fly them, service them, maintain them, handle them. Of course this is only from California's website, but I’m very sure this is the same direction other states with major cities will want to take in order to jump start our economy again.

"Picture a modern high speed rail system which would eliminate the need for short haul flights of less than 500 miles."

http://www.investininfrastructure.o...nfrastructure/Images/BAF Principles Final.pdf

http://gov.ca.gov/issue/strategic-growth/

So those of you guys who complain flying RJ's making $20,000 a year you may just make more being the Captain of a rail car since it seems that is what the current administration seeks to accomplish.

FYI...in aviation there is not such thing as a hiring boom, only a hiring burp, cough then its over. It happens so fast that its over by the time it starts. The sweet spot of course is to train and network while the industry is down so you will be prepared for future aviation related abuse. :insane:

Regional flying has risen exponentially since 2000. The logjam at the regionals is here to stay. As someone already said, the big carriers will cease to exist if things stay the same.

Well, if y'll just stop watching CNN and reading USA today, you’ll find out that this current administrations "Change" Initiative involves heavy focus on infrastructure... So what you ask yourselves? This means the creation of improved railway systems. Ok, what’s my point? The point is that if you look at www.whitehouse.gov or state government websites you’ll see that the purpose of improving railway systems is so that people do not have to fly (which causes more pollution and is not environmentally friendly ) to neighboring cities. WITHIN A 500 MILE radius. So as basic Microeconomics suggests this will eliminate the NEED for Regional Routes around LA as a result eliminate the SUPPLY for airplanes/routes, in return delete DEMAND of people to fly them, service them, maintain them, handle them. Of course this is only from California's website, but I’m very sure this is the same direction other states with major cities will want to take in order to jump start our economy again.

"Picture a modern high speed rail system which would eliminate the need for short haul flights of less than 500 miles." Thats about more than LAX-SFO.

http://www.investininfrastructure.or...es Final.pdf

So those of you guys who complain flying RJ's making $20,000 a year you may just get your wish and make more being the Captain of a rail car since it seems that is what the current administration seeks to accomplish. :p

Well, if y'll just stop watching CNN and reading USA today, you’ll find out that this current administrations "Change" Initiative involves heavy focus on infrastructure... So what you ask yourselves? This means the creation of improved railway systems. Ok, what’s my point? The point is that if you look at www.whitehouse.gov or state government websites you’ll see that the purpose of improving railway systems is so that people do not have to fly (which causes more pollution and is not environmentally friendly ) to neighboring cities. WITHIN A 500 MILE radius. So as basic Microeconomics suggests this will eliminate the NEED for Regional Routes around LA as a result eliminate the SUPPLY for airplanes/routes, in return delete DEMAND of people to fly them, service them, maintain them, handle them. Of course this is only from California's website, but I’m very sure this is the same direction other states with major cities will want to take in order to jump start our economy again.

"Picture a modern high speed rail system which would eliminate the need for short haul flights of less than 500 miles." Thats about more than LAX-SFO.

So those of you guys who complain flying RJ's making $20,000 a year you may just get your wish and make more being the Captain of a rail car since it seems that is what the current administration seeks to accomplish.
Which will also take decades, and billions upon billions of dollars to build. The next administration, after inheriting astronomical debt may not choose to continue the project due to lack of cash'ola.

Or this Pax Americana could lead where the Romans went and there may not even be a United States of America (How did Boris get in my head, my tinfoil hat is on tight)

Just saying.....predicting the future is silly

They said the same thing to me 9 years ago when I first went to UND. It's just the same old song and dance to get you to come.

=Jason-

So those of you guys who complain flying RJ's making $20,000 a year you may just get your wish and make more being the Captain of a rail car since it seems that is what the current administration seeks to accomplish. :p

That will take 10-20 years to take over regional flying. Here is a study from MIT:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/35881/regional-jet-operations.pdf?sequence=1

I am pretty sure Europe has an extensive rail network Yet they still fly planes over there. Rail will not be the death of aviation. Rail will cost more than the anyone can imagine.

Just got word CAL will furlough 308 this fall if they can't get enough oldtimers to retire early....this Age 65 rule is KILLING the youth in this industry. Who's bright idea was this? I don't ever want to hear pilots blaming joe six pack or management for their problems. You want to point the blame, take a look at the person sitting next to you on the flightdeck. Pilots are, and will ALWAYS BE, their own worst enemy.

Just got word CAL will furlough 308 this fall if they can't get enough oldtimers to retire early....this Age 65 rule is KILLING the youth in this industry. Who's bright idea was this? I don't ever want to hear pilots blaming joe six pack or management for their problems. You want to point the blame, take a look at the person sitting next to you on the flightdeck. Pilots are, and will ALWAYS BE, their own worst enemy.

You can thank ICAO. We're basically adapting the FAA NAS to become more like ICAO rules. METARs/TAFs, thank ICAO; Airspace, I'm pretty sure you can thank ICAO. Age 65.... ICAO. etc.

Ah yes...the elusive hiring boom.
"OMG the WWII pilots are retiring!!!!1111"
"OMG the Vietnam pilots are retiring!!!!111"
"OMG age 65 pilots are retiring!!!!!!111"
The truth is (like everyone else said) it depends almost entirely on the economy.

They said the same thing to me 9 years ago when I first went to UND. It's just the same old song and dance to get you to come.

=Jason-

Don't know if you noticed, but there was a HUGE hiring boom, and it really just ended last year . . .

At the UND Aerospace camp I just got back from, a few of the speakers said that there will be a hiring boom in around 5-7 years because the older pilots will be retiring.
Its a shame that internet forums such as this one have only been around for the last ten years or so. If forums like this had been around for the last hundred years, then a quick search for the term hiring boom would reveal that Wilbur actually convinced Orville to help him develop the airplane because there was going to be a big hiring boom in a couple of years due to all the railroad engineers who would be retiring.

Whenever someone tells you there will be a hiring boom in a couple of years because of x, that someone is probably trying to sell you something. There will be a rise in airline hiring in the future. No one knows when it will be or how long it will last but if past trends are any indicator (and they usually are) airline hiring ebs and flows constantly and will therefore likely to continue to do so in the future. While you're looking at trends, you might also want to look at the trend of pilot salaries/benefits/schedules/retirement packages over the last twenty or forty years. Then do the same for ATC and a few other career paths. That way you'll have a better idea of what to expect from your chosen career path whatever it ends up being.

I would say about 75% of those regional guys that were hired during the boom are either furloughed right now, or have it coming soon. It was a false boom.
and a lot of that artificial boom was due to lowering requirements, rather than raising incentives. there were plenty of qualified pilots that chose not to apply.

Don't know if you noticed, but there was a HUGE hiring boom, and it really just ended last year . . .

:yeahthat:Thanks Age 65!
So it was all due to the age 65 rule? Good to know. For a while there I was worried that things like consumer spending levels and personal income levels and unemployment rates might actually effect how many customers the airlines have which might in turn actually effect how many pilots the airlines need. Nice to know that all that technical stuff has nothing to do with it and its all just because one group of pilots decided to work a couple of extra years. Hallelujah, happy days will be here again just as soon as those old goats decide to hurry up and die.

Back