Hey kingair pilot Tom Clements book is cheap.

Yeah, that, "Hop on Pop", and "The Cat in The Hat". Provided they can read, which seems unlikely.

As a former King Air guy, OH NEVERMIND

kingairderp.jpg

The MU-2 book is called "Don't bother reading this, there is nothing you can do to save yourself"

That's not entirely true. They pared the Mitsi book down to like 28 pages from several hundred so as not to be held responsible for the Stupid Pilot Tricks of idiots who jumped in to one out of something with training wheels like, oh, I dunno, A KING AIR? That said, 28 pages still suggests that the pilot is literate, so King Air appliance-operators probably still can't handle it. They need pictures. Preferably in crayon.

So is it like "a thing" that King Air pilots are dumb?

As a half-ass King Air pilot I need some good dumb King Air pilot jokes.

While I have flown moar modern, moar complicated and moar faster airplanes. I will say the KA200 was by far the easiest airplane I have ever flown. Before my first charter trip as "el capitan" I was a bit nervous and I confided my weakness in one of the super stud jet pilots that happened to work with scum such as myself. He had thousands of hours in king airs and all he said was "don't worry that airplane is the cradle, it will take care of you."

This sadly does not stop people from doing really dumb things in king airs. My favorite being the guys who depressurized the airplane when the windshield cracked without donning masks. Even those guys lived. While I wouldn't spend a penny on aviation I can see a few endearing qualities about reading a book on king airs.

Boris will still laugh at you though.

Boris will still laugh at you though.

Hey, a 99 is just a Kingair with a Roman Nose. And aside from breaking all the time, I will agree that it was an incredibly forgiving airplane. Almost criminally easy to fly, with no bad habits other than being stupifyingly slow and inefficient.

But herein lies the danger! If you're flying the damned thing all night, you WILL GO TO SLEEP AND CRASH AND DIE, because there is no FEAR to keep you awake. Flying a Kingair is like watching paint dry in your living room with your slippers on at 23,000 feet. Yeah, it's boring and safe, but you're still at 23,000 feet.

* Unless it really is a 99, in which case you'll be awake because you'll be moving the trim button every ~2 seconds.

Last edited:
Back