When the Terrorists take out GPS...

Don't most airliners have inertial nav? I would probably get even more lost if I tried to learn how to fly with an octant through a book.

For anyone wondering about this, yes it is legit. Fascinating subject.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about Ed Yung's choice of book Title, or the cover illustration, but his effort is sincere. The joint NASA/Aurora Aviation project is openly projecting a continual lowering of pilot value as pilots are replaced by flight automation "attendants." Yung is a Professional Engineer and pilot with 4000+ hours and a stack of ratings, with a special devotion to IFR. Yung is one of the few trying to document some of the old old old forgotten skills, and introduce some newly developed ones that have languished with no commercial support. Some of these mental/manual navigation techniques (something like Zen) actually far surpass the capabilities of modern avionics, but the industry trend is to rely increasingly on avionics and hire less expensive, automation trained "pilots" to simply monitor the avionic/computers.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are more modern initiatives to bottle these latent instinctual abilities, but not for pilots.....for drones mainly. One example is a $4.5 million grant by the Office of Naval Research to New York University’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. They're doing R&D into latent animal instincts (including some thought to have human histories) that permit animals (like birds and sea turtles) and humans to navigate using senses we refer to as "instincts." Right now they're just working to master the sense of vision, but magnetic and other senses are scheduled to follow.

The "instinct programs" will run on a new type of computer chip that uses a “dataflow” architecture. Dubbed NeuFlow, the new chip will enable Convolutional Networks and other computer perception algorithms to run on very small and lightweight devices hundreds of times faster than a conventional computer. The ONR grant brings together seven researchers (mostly from MIT, CMU and Harvard) from diverse fields that include machine learning, computer vision, planning and control, aerodynamics, computational neuroscience, and the study of bird flight.

http://phys.org/news/2011-04-bird-plane-nyu-grant.html

]

There's alot of study that goes into countering GPS jamming by an enemy player, something that would be localized, and would affect aircraft in certain areas. But someone actually hacking or attacking GPS as a system, and either taking it offline, or causing MIJI (Meaconing, Intrusion, Jamming, Interruption) problems with it.....mainly the M and I portions of it; is something I don't know if we're prepared for. Now would this necessarily be catastrophic? I don't think necessarily so, but with the severe reliance we have on GPS for many things military, aviation, as well as everyday life; it would be interesting to see what could happen with full interruption. With Meaconing, it could also be interesting for military and aircraft ops.

And just where have you been hiding lately. Place has been kinda dull without you, ya know.

Thanks. I'm here. Some of these thread topics have a technical side to them that gets so complex (or tedious depending on a person's point of view), or is so controversial, that we move our discussions into PM, email or phone chat and let the thread itself go on without us. Frankly, I move to PM/email as soon as possible on some threads.

This OP interested me though. It strikes at the heart of a topic I hear in R&D circles as to why pilots, along with wages, are being de-emphisized in favor of automation. R&D nerds get giddy at the idea of the ultimate achievement, replacing the pilot. As strange as the book title and cover art is on this book, I don't blame Murdoughnut for presenting the book as a joke. It might look like one. But I happened to know who this guy Yung is and, in his own way, he's campaigning to make pilots more relevent to employers. Some advanced military instructors are worried about the same thing....too much reliance on automation. Yung's pitch, or hook, is that GPS and other technologies can be knocked out, not by terrorists, but by EMP, star wars technology, etc., and probably will be someday. Ed, who is also an avid glider pilot, wants to see the training industry hang on to instinctual piloting methods that are going dormant.

But I have to wonder what he was thinking with this book cover. This is Ed Yung and his 1960's era family. Maybe his plan was to get Murdoughnut's attention with the weirdest aviation book cover in history. If so, it worked. He's on JC, but off to a rocky start. Don't judge this book by its cover. Yung has something to say about piloting, and navigation in particular.
Yung cover.jpg

Thanks. I'm here. Some of these thread topics have a technical side to them that gets so complex (or tedious depending on a person's point of view), or is so controversial, that we move our discussions into PM, email or phone chat and let the thread itself go on without us. Frankly, I move to PM/email as soon as possible on some threads.

This OP interested me though. It strikes at the heart of a topic I hear in R&D circles as to why pilots, along with wages, are being de-emphisized in favor of automation. R&D nerds get giddy at the idea of the ultimate achievement, replacing the pilot. As strange as the book title and cover art is on this book, I don't blame Murdoughnut for presenting the book as a joke. It might look like one. But I happened to know who this guy Yung is and, in his own way, he's campaigning to make pilots more relevent to employers. Some advanced military instructors are worried about the same thing....too much reliance on automation. Yung's pitch, or hook, is that GPS and other technologies can be knocked out, not by terrorists, but by EMP, star wars technology, etc., and probably will be someday. Ed, who is also an avid glider pilot, wants to see the training industry hang on to instinctual piloting methods that are going dormant.

But I have to wonder what he was thinking with this book cover. This is Ed Yung and his 1960's era family. Maybe his plan was to get Murdoughnut's attention with the weirdest aviation book cover in history. If so, it worked. He's on JC, but off to a rocky start. Don't judge this book by its cover. Yung has something to say about piloting, and navigation in particular.
View attachment 20226

I don't even think it was the picture - I think it was more the whole doomsday style intro - "An attack on GPS will happen - that's a fact!" (I'm paraphrasing)

And I guess I understand the overall point, but most airliners don't rely on GPS, right? And most GA aircraft can't legally navigate with just GPS. Other than causing middle aged women to get lost on the way to a garage sale, I'm not sure what the threat is.

Back