Hawaiian Window Opening (Feb 8th)

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Hawaiian is opening their hiring window up again from February 8th (9am HST) to March 1st. Not sure of the total hiring numbers for this year but they are saying this is to refill the pool which has been drained over the last few classes. The memo says to apply again even if you have already applied and/or interviewed in the past.

The good news is that applicants who are invited to interview will receive confirmed (not sure if it's an actual ticket or space available) travel on Hawaiian, a hotel in Waikiki and "meals" (not sure if that's just during the interview or during the entire time). Additionally, if you get invited back for Phase 2, sessions will be available in Honolulu, LA and New York and again, transportation and accommodations will be provided.

This is a huge improvement over the previous hiring process.

Things to know...

Honolulu is the only domicile. While there are constantly rumors of reopening west coast bases, there is nothing announced. Many guys (about 25% of the pilot group) commute, but you will be sacrificing QOL to do so as the mentality is still geared towards non commuters (no commuter clause, one direction segment trading is rare, there aren't a lot of crashpads etc etc).

First year pay is low. It isn't expected to go up much with a new contract. Year 2 and onward pay is livable but below the rest of the industry. Hopefully that gets resolved in the new contract. Living in Hawaii is expensive. Know your financial situation and ability.

The 321 NEOs are delayed 3 months and now EIS is January 2018 (instead of "fourth quarter 2017"). This may slow the hiring down a bit but they haven't made any announcements about that. Currently there are vacancies in the 330, 321 and 717. There may be 767 vacancies as well but with the expedited retirement schedule they've announced (end of 2018) nobody knows.

If you've got questions ask away. There are a few HAL guys on here.

How challenging is commuting from islands other Hawaiian islands (i.e. Maui or Kauai)?

How challenging is commuting from islands other Hawaiian islands (i.e. Maui or Kauai)?
Many of my co-workers seemed to do it fine. I commuted from the mainland and only got stuck when I forgot about schools spring break.

People do it. Kind of tight if you are on reserve (3 hour callout on the widebody, 2 hours inter island) though.

There are a few guys who fly inter island with a bit of seniority who make it work, but it can mean very long days to position to HNL for your first flight and then rush off your last flight to catch a ride home. Most days are 8+ hours on their own and that's only going to get you about 4:30 credit, so you'll be doing a lot of days each month.

There is hourly service (30 minutes during midday peak) to LIH and OGG. Kona and Hilo are a bit less frequent. Loads are full often times but the jumpseat is reservable and locked at 24 hours out.

Widebody schedules are actually pretty decent when you can start holding two day trips. The majority of them report around 9-10am and you are usually home the next day by noon with 10 hours of flying. Honestly living on the island is KEY. I could not imagine flying 6-7 hours to HNL, then hopping on another flight to get home.

Widebody schedules are actually pretty decent when you can start holding two day trips. The majority of them report around 9-10am and you are usually home the next day by noon with 10 hours of flying. Honestly living on the island is KEY. I could not imagine flying 6-7 hours to HNL, then hopping on another flight to get home.

The wife's seat lock on the 717 is about to pass, and we are thinking of her bidding widebody and commuting in from PHX. We are thinking of trying to save our money on the mainland, and then retiring back home later.

The wife's seat lock on the 717 is about to pass, and we are thinking of her bidding widebody and commuting in from PHX. We are thinking of trying to save our money on the mainland, and then retiring back home later.

Well if you'd get hired out here you'll get TWO (almost) legacy salaries...

EDIT: It autoposted...

Was on the jumpseat of your wife's flight the other day. Hopefully this window is the one that gets you in.

Last edited:

I had her on my jumpseat a few months ago before yalls big day. Not sure how the future will be but we have a good number of pilots commuting from PHX.

Does Hawaiian hire guys with SIC time only? What are the avg total times for new hires? I'm currently transitioning to the regional world, but looking to make it to HAL in a few years.

Does Hawaiian hire guys with SIC time only? What are the avg total times for new hires? I'm currently transitioning to the regional world, but looking to make it to HAL in a few years.

They have, but mostly guys with connections to the airlines or Hawaii

They hire all across the board. December 1st new hire class consisted of 12 new hires. 8 came from the civilian background, and 4 came the military and they all had prior 121 time too. Of the 12 new hires only 4 civilians had SIC time, and 1 military pilot had only SIC time both in the military and at a west coast based regional. Times really ranged from about 2,500 hours to 7,000 hours total time with the military being on the lower side of hours. There were 8 Airbus A330's and 4 717's, and the following class after had all 717's too. There has also been one person in the December class that has left for Browner Pastures too. Hope this helps, and more then a few have gotten in with only SIC time as Hawaiian is starting recruit pilots from the mainland with all weather jet experience and zero ties to the islands. Smart move transitioning to the regional world, and good lucK!

Last edited:
They have, but mostly guys with connections to the airlines or Hawaii

Lucky for me I was born and raised there, hoping that gives me the leg up when the time is right.

They hire all across the board. December 1st new hire class consisted of 12 new hires. 8 came from the civilian background, and 4 came the military and they all had prior 121 time too. Of the 12 new hires only 4 civilians had SIC time, and 1 military pilot had only SIC time both in the military and at a west coast based regional. Times really ranged from about 2,500 hours to 7,000 hours total time with the military being on the lower side of hours. There were 8 Airbus A330's and 4 717's, and the following class after had all 717's too. There has also been one person in the December class that has left for Browner Pastures too. Hope this helps, and more then a few have gotten in with only SIC time as Hawaiian is starting recruit pilots from the mainland with all weather jet experience and zero ties to the islands. Smart move transitioning to the regional world, and good lucK!

Thanks for the info. I have heard they want guys who have spent at least some time in the mainland 121 world, where it is not CAVU 340 days of the year; so I decided to move here and check that box.

Back