Great Lakes files 3rd Qtr SEC 10-Q report

They might not be able to carry as much as a C model but the current 1900 freight fleet is beyond aged, and somethings gotta replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except in Alaska, that fleet will be replaced by stuff that's cheaper to operate, honestly.

What else can do what the 1900s do? That also isn't just as old.

Not a lot out there, but two caravans will match the cargo you can move in 1 1900 even though they are about 100kts slower. So for a lot of the UPS stuff I could see a transition to clapped out caravans as the 1900 and Metro fleet wears out.

Not a lot out there, but two caravans will match the cargo you can move in 1 1900 even though they are about 100kts slower. So for a lot of the UPS stuff I could see a transition to clapped out caravans as the 1900 and Metro fleet wears out.

Pilatus has now made over 1,300 PC-12s, and has a New Generation version. The oldest ones are 14 years old. They'll be starting to be clapped-out possibilities before long.o_O

Pilatus has now made over 1,300 PC-12s, and has a New Generation version. The oldest ones are 14 years old. They'll be starting to be clapped-out possibilities before long.o_O

True that - having flown the PC12, the 1900 and the Caravan, I will say that the PC12 is the "best engineered" one of them all from a pilot's perspective, though the 1900 is the most fun to fly. That said, the cabin volume of a PC12 and the payload isn't there to beat the 1900 unless you buy two of them, and then the price is pretty high.

The PC-12 cannot haul what a Van does though I don't think.

In bulk volume this is true - however the Caravan cannot carry as much as a PC12/47 - that's for sure, the Series 9 birds, yeah, but the early Series 10 airplanes are money makers. Could carry way more in the PC12 than the Caravan in terms of weight - on average, at least 500lbs more unless you were on a very short (like 20 minutes away) flight.

In bulk volume this is true - however the Caravan cannot carry as much as a PC12/47 - that's for sure, the Series 9 birds, yeah, but the early Series 10 airplanes are money makers. Could carry way more in the PC12 than the Caravan in terms of weight - on average, at least 500lbs more unless you were on a very short (like 20 minutes away) flight.
How close can a King Air with pods come to a 1900c for cargo?

King Air 350 with a pod?

Probably can't get the interior volume, but maybe? I know the 350 is quite a bit shorter than the "hondo." Honestly, I suspect the future will be filled with Dash-8s, Saabs, and Brasilias in a cargo configuration when the C model 1900s start to get a little too long in the tooth. Someone might figure out how to make the D models pay for themselves as freighters - but I suspect the more likely scenario is that they'll just keep running 1900s around until there aren't any left.

Their cash position is the alarm bell to me. They have $900K in cash and are losing $2M-$3M a quarter ...they will have to make a trip back to the dealer very soon. Book-wise, I see about $10M in assets that don't yet have loans out against them... So that's about three more quarters of operations.

When does Great Lakes finally declare bankruptcy? My bet is June 2016. The bigger question is "What will the bank do with a pile of B-1900s?"
THere's a demand for 1900's in Nepal. Mountainous routes into short runways.

There's a demand for 1900's in Nepal. Mountainous routes into short runways.

In terms of passenger service, jwp is right, both directly and by type of example. It doesn't get much higher / thinner than Nepal! But they lose airframes regularly in A/c vs Rock tussles. Of course, that does create new demand for replacement elderly 1900-Ds.:aghast:. Same is true for hot & thin in Africa.

Size-wise, most management types believe in growth and planning for growth. The same is true for airline management, with SJS thrown in for good measure. True many places, but the smaller airframes fit well in places where the service population just won't support much growth (Paying the fuel bill to fly around empty seats just doesn't help the bottom line). Think: lower half of EAS, Alaska, even Nepal and African boonies.

I'll defer to my freight friends on the two Caravans vs one Beech. Speed over the ground is less a factor than cost per pound per mile (or per package, if that's the way the reimbursement bounces). Also look at the seasonal and weekly load variations, and service commitment - does it have to be there tonight?

In terms of passenger service, jwp is right, both directly and by type of example. It doesn't get much higher / thinner than Nepal! But they lose airframes regularly in A/c vs Rock tussles. Of course, that does create new demand for replacement elderly 1900-Ds.:aghast:. Same is true for hot & thin in Africa.

Size-wise, most management types believe in growth and planning for growth. The same is true for airline management, with SJS thrown in for good measure. True many places, but the smaller airframes fit well in places where the service population just won't support much growth (Paying the fuel bill to fly around empty seats just doesn't help the bottom line). Think: lower half of EAS, Alaska, even Nepal and African boonies.

I'll defer to my freight friends on the two Caravans vs one Beech. Speed over the ground is less a factor than cost per pound per mile (or per package, if that's the way the reimbursement bounces). Also look at the seasonal and weekly load variations, and service commitment - does it have to be there tonight?
Don't factor common sense into any statements about business in Nepal... they truly march to the beat of their own square drum.
To them growth isn't a larger airplane, it is another 1900D.
The 1900, the Dornier, the Twin Otter, the Pilatus... those are the hardcore mainstays of the Nepalese fleet doing the majority of the intra-country routes.

Not sure if it's a glitch: GLUX sunk to $0.05/share in overnight trading. I didn't see any obvious news to why. It's at the point where a few of us could buy a controlling stake in the airline. Crazy.

Back