Got Microsoft Simulator 04 today

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
So what now....? What is the best joystick or add on peripherals?
There have been numerous threads on here about MSFS.
From what I have heard on here it can get expensive to get the best planes and time consuming to download them from websites.
What are the best FREE and pay sites to get cockpits shots and planes etc:

B-727
B-737-300-900
B-757-200,300
B-767300,400
B-777 200,300
B-747-400
MD-11
MD-88/90
CRJ's

-Matthew

For controls, I highly recommend the CH Products yoke, pedals, and throttles. Very high quality and affordable equipment.

I recommend www.avsim.com and www.flightsim.com. Those are definetely the biggest databases of freeware, and have other things like forums and reviews and such. The site www.projectai.com is important if you want to get into real-world AI traffic and also www.flightsimmer.com has a great community in the forums (they run Project AI)

All are totally free, however flightsim.com has a limited number of "nodes" for free users so it can be difficult to connect at peak times.

yeahthat.gif
My favorite is AVSIM. They have thousands upon thousands of downloads. As for hardware I have the CH products but don't use them nearly as much as I love to use my Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick!
rawk.gif

Just be prepared to be ridiculed by your friends. Most of my friends that aren't flight enthusiast play it for 2 minutes and this is usually the conversation we have.

(me) alright take off
(me) don't pull the joystick too far back, you'll stall!
(friend) alright dude calm down
(friend) when do I start shooting planes down?
(me) you don't, you just fly from point a to point b in this game
(friend) WHAT!
(friend) does the plane blow up when it crashes?
(me) it just falls apart
(friend) good enough for me
Then down she goes.

After that everytime they call me, and I say I'm on the computer they say "Wanna come out tonight nerd or are you flying to Tokio"

Does this happen to anybody else.

www.avsim.com is pretty good by the way

Thanks everyone for the advice. Where would I purchase CH Products from....CompUSA?
What is the breakdown in prices for the yokes,pedals and throttle?
I'm running a COX cable modem. How fast is the DL time for all the data i.e. planes,cockpits etc. with broadband?
How much memory will be used. I think I have 1ghz. of harddrive space?
Can I get all my aformentioned planes plus the Airbus A320/21 at all these free sites?
Lastly I greatly enjoy human contact,occasional intercourse,social life and sunlight. So I doubt I'd get so addicted that A&E would follow me around with cameras to film my intervention...
insane.gif

-Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly I greatly enjoy human contact,occasional intercourse,social life and sunlight. So I doubt I'd get so addicted that A&E would follow me around with cameras to film my intervention...
insane.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I meant
blush.gif
I was trying to say was when people see flight games they automatically assume it's a shooter. When they find out the purpose of the game is just to fly, they tend to crash the plane immediately and call you a nerd for just wanting to fly and not blow anything up.

Man, flight sim's fun level peaked at FS98 for me. Fun times.

The best though was competing in lear jet landings at Meigs with friends, on the good old FS5

yeahthat.gif
Same here, however it is still fun to play every now and then. Whenever I fly, I fly with West Coast ATC. This is the only way I can play the game now. Almost every night about 40 pilots flying big airliners all start somewhere different and end up at the same airport. The traffic is handled by an average of 3 ATC men having to give you your clearances and everything just like in real life! (You talk via TeamSpeak needing a microphone to talk with). They also have virtual airlines to sign up with so you can have a callsign like Delta 2932 or whatever... Anyways, anyone who still plays MSFS check out the site, it's a blast!
rawk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

B-727
B-737-300-900
B-757-200,300
B-767300,400
B-777 200,300
B-747-400
MD-11
MD-88/90
CRJ's
-Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Check Project Opensky , they make nice freeware versions of a few of those aircraft. [

If I can't squeeze off an AIM-9M at another airplane, I don't have any interest!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If I can't squeeze off an AIM-9M at another airplane, I don't have any interest!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then LockOn would be for you.

I get my flying fix from Battlefield Vietnam. Nothing like taking out some enemy forces with napalm from an F-4 listening to CCR!

[ QUOTE ]
Then LockOn would be for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah....Falcon 4 SuperPak 4. "Anything else is rubbish."
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I get my flying fix from Battlefield Vietnam. Nothing like taking out some enemy forces with napalm from an F-4 listening to CCR!

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHHH!! Let's play BF:Vietnam tonight......anyone....anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
Bah....Falcon 4 SuperPak 4. "Anything else is rubbish."
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That game kicks serious a**!!!
rawk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't blame you. If I flew for an airline, the last thing I would want to do is fly on the same type of aircraft I did at work. It wouldn't be fun, it would be like working. I'd rather be blowing stuff up to.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't blame you. If I flew for an airline, the last thing I would want to do is fly on the same type of aircraft I did at work. It wouldn't be fun, it would be like working. I'd rather be blowing stuff up to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying MiKeD hates shooting games?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Back