With a sad heart...

KC-97's or KC-130's? I thought it was KC-135's since John flew those...

The plane is correct, but OA doesn't refer to the plane.

In Vietnam, the refueling orbits where the tankers hung out were known as anchors and were denoted by color.......tan, white, etc. Akin to aerial gas stations, they were located in different parts of Vietnam and Thailand and especially off the coast. Orange Anchor was one of the more busy ones for aircraft heading into and out of targets in Vietnam. John spent many hours of his life orbiting within the confines of Orange Anchor during his time in the KC-135A.

Whoa!! I’m really sorry to hear that. I'll miss his even keeled, well thought out comments. Rest in Peace.

Northern Laos area and Thailand, for planes heading into Route Pack 6A portion of North Vietnam and the Barrel Roll portion of Laos

Ok, now I'm on the same page... There was a book I read in college that said something about Orange Anchor... I couldn't recall the context, just the name. I think it was 100 days in Vietnam? Am I close?

I haven't been here long, but I always enjoyed reading the wealth of information he posted. That's what makes this place great. There are so many "old hands" that divulge little bits of wisdom here and there.

Too bad. Blue skies, sir.

we were messagng back and forth on a couple of threads just before I left for GS early this week... Its so weird to think that he is gone. He will be missed, I am sure he is enjoying gliding through the clouds in heaven now though. Rest In Peace John

DAMNIT! Thats horrible news.

Edit to add: This should be a sticky like Ben's thread. Is there anything the JC community can do to help. I haven't read the whole thread yet.

DANG! OA had some of the most imformative and interesting posts here on JC. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts and he will be GREATLY missed. What a awesome guy. RIP my friend

The plane is correct, but OA doesn't refer to the plane.

In Vietnam, the refueling orbits where the tankers hung out were known as anchors and were denoted by color.......tan, white, etc. Akin to aerial gas stations, they were located in different parts of Vietnam and Thailand and especially off the coast. Orange Anchor was one of the more busy ones for aircraft heading into and out of targets in Vietnam. John spent many hours of his life orbiting within the confines of Orange Anchor during his time in the KC-135A.

You know, that's actually quite telling about his character- the original 'Orange Anchor' was a place of refuge. It was a place where fellow aviators bruised by their battles and running short of fuel to sustain them could seek refuge. John was really like that here- I don't ever recall him uttering an unkind word. He could have easily rested on the laurels of an obviously highly successful career. Yet here he was- offering ideas, help, and direction to those he might need it. He could have been anywhere doing anything.. and yet he remained here, in orbit in a tanker track in a sense.. passing on the lessons and ideas that he garnered over decades of successful aviation. In his way, he actually exemplified the concept of 'Orange Anchor'.

It's been suggested that we memorialize our departed fellow aviators. I'm not exactly sure how we might do that.. but perhaps we might come to think of the times when someone exhibits such honorable qualities as an 'Orange Anchor' moment.

RIP John. You were most certainly an 'Orange Anchor'.

How disappointing that I never had the privilege of meeting him, and he lived right here in Atlanta. :( My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

you really are a poet...:clap:
You know, that's actually quite telling about his character- the original 'Orange Anchor' was a place of refuge. It was a place where fellow aviators bruised by their battles and running short of fuel to sustain them could seek refuge. John was really like that here- I don't ever recall him uttering an unkind word. He could have easily rested on the laurels of an obviously highly successful career. Yet here he was- offering ideas, help, and direction to those he might need it. He could have been anywhere doing anything.. and yet he remained here, in orbit in a tanker track in a sense.. passing on the lessons and ideas that he garnered over decades of successful aviation. In his way, he actually exemplified the concept of 'Orange Anchor'.

It's been suggested that we memorialize our departed fellow aviators. I'm not exactly sure how we might do that.. but perhaps we might come to think of the times when someone exhibits such honorable qualities as an 'Orange Anchor' moment.

RIP John. You were most certainly an 'Orange Anchor'.

Back