Unlike Airbus, Boeing lets aviator override fly-by-wire tech

Re: Unlike Airbus, Boeing lets aviator override fly-by-wire

I don't have pro- or con-FBW opinions.

Each have merits, each have benefits, but I believe in different realms.

Besides, when the Airbusécois start talking about "Alternate Law", "Normal Law", "Direct Law", "Abnormal Law" and flying jets with manual trim control and rudder inputs, as soon as we get away from being in the envelope, on-path, on-airspeed, configured, my mind wanders and I think "Ooh! Cheetos. Ca-RUNCHY! I love orange cheese-product powder."

And, besides, I'm going to see what matches the QOL/Pay/Theater desires and go with that whatever the equipment is! :)

If it's the DC-9, it'll be the DC-9. If it's the A320, it'll be the A320! :)

I don't have pro- or con-FBW opinions.

As I have repeatedly said, THE airplane with the best trips, best layovers, most time off, best pay for time spent, best F/As. Then play to the strengths, respect the weaknesses. It ain't rocket surgery.

As I have repeatedly said, THE airplane with the best trips, best layovers, most time off, best pay for time spent, best F/As. Then play to the strengths, respect the weaknesses. It ain't rocket surgery.

People talk smack about the MD-90, most have never flown it, but that airplane is still my baby and when I was DFW-based, had the best trips in the entire airline.

DFW-SAN long layover
SAN-SLC-ORD long layover
ORD-SLC-RNO long layover
RNO-SLC-DFW done.

"But the airplane is weird!"

So! :) Stackin' cheddar, seeing the country and no A-34 to D-38 on a 42 minute turn in Georgia!

People talk smack about the MD-90, most have never flown it, but that airplane is still my baby and when I was DFW-based, had the best trips in the entire airline.

Didn't fly the -90 except for a report but did fly the -80. DEFINITELY not Boeing. But it was a very good machine in many ways, including the fact that some great FAs constantly flew it because it had a lot of long FL layovers where they could tan their bods. Fun people who understood that life was more than debating which aircraft was best, an unsupportable position if ever there was one.

That's what it's all about right?

There was one, a very athletic blonde who was nothing short of astounding physically and mentally. Maybe I should reverse those to quiet the possibly coming storm. ...astounding mentally and physically. Anyway, also funny and comfortable with who she was. It was ALWAYS a good trip when she was on the crew.

Anyway, the -80 was also a fly-by-wire except the 'wire' was cables. As I remember, the -80 was the last machine I flew where I shut down an engine. Prior to that, a number of shut downs on the 737 and 727 with the JT-8D. Engine technology has sure come a long way.

Back