Getting Started

proxima

I have been thinking long and hard about becoming a dispatcher. A friend of mine that flies for US Air is even pushing me to get my ADX license.

The question that I have is where to start? I plan on either going to Sheffield or IFOD. I'd rather do the 5 weeks program than the DL program, but I am open to other programs.

I am currently stuck at a dead end full time job, and I am at the point where I had enough.

1. Go to Sheffield. They are hands down the best, even if the owner upsets some people on here.
2. Take the full in residence course if you have no airline operations experience. It's darn near impossible to do on your own with no experience.
3. Get the idea of a major right out of school out of your head! You will be starting at a regional and probably will be there for at least a year. Some of us seem to get lucky and get hired at a major quick, others seem to be unable to get there. Just have to keep trying.
4. Use us as a resource, lots of knowledgable people here.

Good Luck!

All good advice from MT. One thing I always add...be prepared to MOVE! Probably more than once, over the course of your career. I have moved...let me count here...seven times over the course of my career. Two of those moves were caused when the airline I worked for relocated its dispatch office/headquarters. This is a good job and can pay pretty decently once you get to the majors...but flexibility in where you can live is not one of its benefits. Especially if you are married, if your spouse loves the area you are living in now, has never lived anywhere else, etc. is he or she willing to pull up stakes and go with you to a new location? Some disaptchers do commute using non-rev and jumpseat benefits but that is not an easy lifestyle either. I just point all this out to make sure you know what you're getting into before you spend a decent sum of cash and a lot of effort at a dispatch school. Don't get me wrong, I am a happily employed dispatcher who works at a major and plans to retire here...but part of me does envy people who can move to whatever city they like and find a job (working in the medical field, computer industry, or whatever.)

Reactions: MT
I will admit Sheffield is a great school, even tho I had mixed feelings when I left there, I felt the education I left with was great and Eric and Brett is one of the most knowagleable guys there.

They teach the required stuff per part 65 subpart C and Sheffield gives good discounts for summer.

IFOD is a good school from what I hear, there are some people who did go there and would be better suited to answer this question.

If you attend Sheffield, take the written before you leave.

Thanks guys, I do have some cash saved up, but I want to use that for my relocation, so I should have no problem relocating (just need to get the cash for school). Only airline experience I do have, is what I do on the ramp, and that includes fueling. I did pick up an Gleim ATP book while I was down at Sun N Fun, and plan on studying after my finals. I currently work for an FBO, and I am ready to get out. With some of my family in the military, I figured that this will be one of my best shots of seeing them in different parts of the country.

I recommend you get the test prep software from them or ASA since it will exactly mimic the real ADX, and the oral exam study guide book from ASA. That book uses the 737-800 as the a/c, just like IFOD does so it killed two birds w/ one stone for me. Sheffield I think still uses the 727, so for it you would need to go to the Boeing website. GL!

I recommend you get the test prep software from them or ASA since it will exactly mimic the real ADX, and the oral exam study guide book from ASA. That book uses the 737-800 as the a/c, just like IFOD does so it killed two birds w/ one stone for me. Sheffield I think still uses the 727, so for it you would need to go to the Boeing website. GL!

I will have to agree with my pal, Jose. I like the lay out in the ASA better and it explains things better - Gliem is way over priced and it was hard for me to follow.

Yes Sheffield is a great school but there are others as well. Choose the one that best fits your needs and you feel comfortable with.

Back