Get your Degree in Aviation!!

jspeed87

Whats wrong with you people saying to avoid aviation as a degree? If you love aviation enough then you should get your degree in it! It just sickens me when people say to major in business and then get your ratings. Whats the point? I don't like IT or business so tell me why must I major in something I hate. If you study something you love, you will fly through it quicker. I get goosebumps when I read about aerodynamics because I love it. Don't come with "Oh but you need a plan B". You can get a better paying job outside of being a pilot even with a Bachlores of Aeronautics! I'm sorry if this came out of no where from a guy who doesn't post on JC alot, but It just hit me today.
I'm going to major in aviation, and even better I plan to get my masters in it. Why? Because I love it, and it motivates me every single day. :panic: :panic:

Well I'll say it anyway even though you said not to: What happens if you lose your medical and can no longer fly? Wouldn't you like to have a backup plan?

I've had job interviews where the interviewer remarked how he/she thought it was a good thing that I had a degree in something other than aviation, it showed I had other skills besides being a pilot that I could potentially bring to the table.

Keep in mind companies want a good employee in addition to someone that's a good pilot. You like learning aerodynamics? Great! Do you think you'll ever calculate something using the formulas learned in those courses while you're flying an ILS?

Don't study something you hate by any means, but there's got to be something else you like to do in addition to flying.

Most employers you talk to look more at the flight time you have, and the people you may know that already work for the company you're interviewing at that would put in a good word for you. I can't imagine a place that would say: lets hire the guy with the aviation degree that we don't know that well, over the other guy that our coworker knows and can vouch for... The aeronautical degree isn't going to score you any more points in getting a job than a degree in another field.

It's your life though, do what you want, we're just here to provide other perspectives.

Great that your motivated. Now look at the industry right now. There will be thousands of very well qualified pilots competing for limited jobs in a very short period. What if you couldn't find a job with an aviation degree because there are no jobs?

I get goosebumps when I read about aerodynamics because I love it. Don't come with "Oh but you need a plan B".

Since when has a Plan B been bad to have in life? Keep in mind the industry is cyclical in nature but there are no guarentees in life.

Like the person said above me, it is always good to have a backup plan. From what I have noticed, it seems like aviation degrees are worthless except for checking the 4 year degree application. I would love to get an aviation degree and leave it at that because I love flying so much but I will get a backup degree just in case.

Get your degree in whatever you want. No one can tell anyone else what to major in. Ponder this though, if so many experienced people say to diversify your education, there may be a good reason for that advice ;) But the bottom line remains that each person must make up their own mind to get their degree in what they want.

No matter what your career field, keep your options open though. Have interests & ideas outside of your main job field. You can never have too many friends, too many interests, or gain too much knowledge.

I dont understand this argument either. You don't see people who are interested in say, computers, get a back up degree in business!!!

you dont go tell a kid who wants to be a chemical engineer, that you know, you might lose your job someday, so get a teaching certificate.

that logic doesnt make sense. if it IS in fact what you really want to do, do it, and you will find a way to make it work.

getting other skills and work experience on the side definitely doesnt hurt, but hell, study what you want to study. dont base EVERYTHING on the "bad what-if scenario"....

should have told all those computer programmers around 1999-2000 to get a backup economics degree, right?

:banghead:

Having an aviation degree can still get you a 30k job anywhere in logistics, merchandising, ect that can be your plan B. You don't need to do accounting or what ever your backup plan degree is.

If all you enjoy is flying, honestly, go find something else you enjoy. Get a degree in something else you like doing....if you choose.

I dont understand this argument either. You don't see people who are interested in say, computers, get a back up degree in business!!!

you dont go tell a kid who wants to be a chemical engineer, that you know, you might lose your job someday, so get a teaching certificate.

that logic doesnt make sense. if it IS in fact what you really want to do, do it, and you will find a way to make it work.

Eh, that's kind of apples to oranges there. The skills required to become qualified for a pilot's career can be gotten outside of a college classroom. You don't have to go to a collegiate aviation program to get your ratings, they can be gotten through an FBO or a pilot-mill. To learn the things necessary to be a chemical engineer, those things you've pretty much got to learn in a classroom environment.

A pilot can get hired checking the 4 year college degree box having majored in chemical engineering (having done their ratings at an FBO), a chemical engineer is probably not going get hired as a chemical engineer with an Aviation Science degree.

If all you enjoy is flying, honestly, go find something else you enjoy. Get a degree in something else you like doing....if you choose.

I wish they would offer degrees in some of the things I love doing :)

If doing the degree in aviation will help you check the 4 year degree box then go for it. Anyway, as others have said, networking and experience might be even more important for getting the job than a degree in (fill the blank).
On the other hand, if you find yourself on the street like many guys/gals this coming fall, a plan b could save you from a lot of pain...
Good luck with whatever you choose!

getting other skills and work experience on the side definitely doesnt hurt, but hell, study what you want to study. dont base EVERYTHING on the "bad what-if scenario"....

should have told all those computer programmers around 1999-2000 to get a backup economics degree, right?

:banghead:

None of those other careers you mentioned require medical certification every six months. Aviation degrees are about as useful as a PhD in basket weaving. But hey, whatever. Have fun.

Having an aviation degree can still get you a 30k job anywhere in logistics, merchandising, ect that can be your plan B. You don't need to do accounting or what ever your backup plan degree is.

Yep, a degree in Aviation Management has an extraordinarily strong basis in *gasp* business! You can use the degree to get into a world of jobs. I get emails everyday about jobs requiring this degree so I'm not losing any sleep at night.

Whatever you do, don't learn from people like me (Bachelor of Science in Aviation Management / Flight Technology 1995) when we tell you that we were unable to find meaningful work outside of aviation after numerous furloughs.

Heck, if you listened to us then you would be using websites like this exactly as they were intended. Pure foolishness!

Whatever you do, don't learn from people like me (Bachelor of Science in Aviation Management / Flight Technology 1995) when we tell you that we were unable to find meaningful work outside of aviation after numerous furloughs.

Heck, if you listened to us then you would be using websites like this exactly as they were intended. Pure foolishness!

:cwm27:

get an engineering degree in aerospace if you like aerodynamics.

I would hardly recommend that either, a very instable industry aswell. But once you find a good company and go direct, it can be great. I have seen both sides of this in my life.

I'd like to find a nice online program that doesn't sound like a scam when I goto their website.

Back