Get your Degree in Aviation!!

Seriously?

In my experience, guys (on average) who lived in the UND/ERAU/etc bubble "get it" a whole lot less than the average pilot.

I know this sounds arrogant, but aviation has been the most intuitive, straightforward, and all-around easiest subject I've had to study. *Nothing* I've needed to know for my airline necessitated 4 years of studying...a couple hours a week with an instructor--with the occasional 4 week ground school--has suited me just fine. But maybe I don't "get it".

Hmmm....interesting...
Well, what I was saying was my opinion based upon my experiences. I did my ppl at the local FBO, got my other ratings at MTSU, and then did ATP's RJ program. Based upon what I've seen, it seemed liked I hardly 'got it' until I got to MTSU, and when I did ATP's RJ program, it seemed like it was mainly stuff I already knew from college.

Of course, this maybe completely different from your experiences altogether, and that's 100% possible.

Everytime this subject comes up, say the same thing. I don't know what the aviation degree program was like at your schools, but I took all the maths, sciences, economics, fine arts, social sciences, and etc... My education was just as well rounded as the graphic design, Computer Science, and Criminal Justice majors. While you in college, you can choose to take whatever classes you wish and made good use of those electives. I am ahead or on par with all of my class mates from high school and college as far as finance and career progression goes.

I have a lot of friends who have degrees and can't find jobs in there fields. My room mate from college has a degree in Geography and he's a security guard. We've been out of college since 2004.:eek:

"In your opinion did the program at FIT Aero help prepare you for your ground school training or did it not at all?"

No, my ERAU aeronautics degree in 1981 did nothing for my UPS initial ground school in 1990. Zero, zip, nada.... It just doesn't matter.

I'm not a fan of degrees in aviation. I have one. I wish I done it differently.

That said, the main reason for a non-aviation degree is to have a back up plan in another area of interest. Some people have no other areas of interest, so more power to them in checking the box in whatever way they can. Other people have a second area of interest that doesn't require a degree. The main thing is to have a viable plan B OUTSIDE of aviation.

Hmmm....interesting...
Well, what I was saying was my opinion based upon my experiences. I did my ppl at the local FBO, got my other ratings at MTSU, and then did ATP's RJ program. Based upon what I've seen, it seemed liked I hardly 'got it' until I got to MTSU, and when I did ATP's RJ program, it seemed like it was mainly stuff I already knew from college.

Of course, this maybe completely different from your experiences altogether, and that's 100% possible.

Hate to say it, but the ground school at PCL is gonna be pretty much a let down for ya it sounds like. If the ATP RJ program was the same as stuff you already knew in college, guess what ground school's gonna be like. Might have been able to save a couple of grand somewhere along the line.....

Hate to say it, but the ground school at PCL is gonna be pretty much a let down for ya it sounds like. If the ATP RJ program was the same as stuff you already knew in college, guess what ground school's gonna be like. Might have been able to save a couple of grand somewhere along the line.....

Hmmm....interesting. Well, at least I'll be somewhat prepared!

Back