Get your Degree in Aviation!!

Get your degree in whatever you want. Fly freight so you'll never be furloughed (just hired and typed when so many are being furloughed). Think of this "plan b"-you get furloughed and go for a job interview for whatever your degree is in. Why would I hire you over a say a kid out of college? Neither of you have any experience in the field but at least the kid is closer to college than you and probably remembers class.
How many here have been furloughed and then fallen back on the degree? With so many experts just wondering how many have had this experience.

I had it happen to me last September - lost the job and didn't want to leave Denver so I looked into other jobs besides aviation - didn't want to go to the regionals or flight instruct and I wasn't having any luck finding a decent 135 job. However, I eventually went back to flying and just had to suck it up and move to where the job was. I'm happier flying, but I'm glad have other options.

Hello,

You should get a degree in aviation then come back to this board in 5 years and tell us how that aviation degree is treating you.

Hello,

You should get a degree in aviation then come back to this board in 5 years and tell us how that aviation degree is treating you.
Well, that could go both ways. I am for getting a degree in something other than aviation but if he does not lose his medical and is flying professionally, than how would it affect him, either positively or negatively.

Why would I hire you over a say a kid out of college? Neither of you have any experience in the field but at least the kid is closer to college than you and probably remembers class.
:yeahthat:
If you've been flying for years, why would an employer hire you in a different field if you have no work experience. You would probably have to start off at the bottom of whatever your backup field is. You probably could make the same amount of money instructing or finding another non-airline flying job.

None of those other careers you mentioned require medical certification every six months. Aviation degrees are about as useful as a PhD in basket weaving. But hey, whatever. Have fun.

Neither does aviation anymore. :)

I'd say aviation degrees are about as useful as English, history, philosophy, psych, liberal arts, etc degrees. Personally, I think it's about as useful as a BS in business since for your "back up" your competing with people that probably have a Masters degree as well as a butt load of work experience and internships. Now that "fall back" degree is pretty useless since you're not competitive. Think of it as applying for a flying job with posted mins of 1000TT when the other people applying have 3000TT/2000ME/1000TT. Sure you meet the mins, but you're not competitive.

My philosophy has always been major in what interests you. If it's aviation, go for it. You're more likely to actually FINISH the degree if it's something you enjoy studying. Take it from someone who's dropped out once and been through three majors.

Neither does aviation anymore. :)

Uhhh, first class. WTFO?

Take it from someone who's dropped out once and been through three majors.

That's nothing. Try five majors (BioChem, EE, Radio/Television/Film, MIS, Finance). None of them aviation. Graduated in 4.6 years. Should have stayed longer, say, seven years. I loved college.

Also, I use my degree in a side business.

Re: Medical & Age 60

Theres nothing better than an IT degree that is 5 years out of date when you get furloughed.

Trust me, what you learn for your degree in college is immediately applicable and useful when it comes to job skills.
Wait, do I need the sarcasm tag?

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but DON'T DO IT!

It sounds like you've got some time before you have to know what you're majoring in. Surely you'll understand by then (well, if you're thinking in a rational, realistic, non-altered mindset).

Good luck, and go find something else that catches your mind. It certainly doesn't mean you can't be a pilot.

Whats wrong with you people saying to avoid aviation as a degree? If you love aviation enough then you should get your degree in it! It just sickens me when people say to major in business and then get your ratings. Whats the point? I don't like IT or business so tell me why must I major in something I hate. If you study something you love, you will fly through it quicker. I get goosebumps when I read about aerodynamics because I love it. Don't come with "Oh but you need a plan B". You can get a better paying job outside of being a pilot even with a Bachlores of Aeronautics! I'm sorry if this came out of no where from a guy who doesn't post on JC alot, but It just hit me today.
I'm going to major in aviation, and even better I plan to get my masters in it. Why? Because I love it, and it motivates me every single day. :panic: :panic:

You want some reasons to NOT get a degree in aviation?

How about my furlough that's coming October 1st.

Or the 148 Continental guys on the street on September 9th.

Or the close to 1,000 United pilots that are hitting the street.

But it's your DDDRRREEEAAAMMMM, right?

Don't forget that some dreams come true, and others turn into nightmares.

Having an aviation degree can still get you a 30k job anywhere in logistics, merchandising, ect that can be your plan B. You don't need to do accounting or what ever your backup plan degree is.

Oh, please tell me where to apply! All :sarcasm: aside! Dead serious! I have a BA in aviation. I would like to stay in New Orleans but I'd consider moving if the price is right for the location. Help me out, buddy.

:D I did happen to shove my BA degree in my oven at 470* but I can have another one mailed to me.

My 2 cents:

In the last two months I've had 12 non-aviation interviews. These were for non-technical jobs such as project management, sales, operations, etc. I'd say about half mentioned my degree in Communication, and about half of those asked how my degree has helped me in my career, and how it would help me in my new career.

All in all, none of them seemed terrible concerned with my degree at all. In fact, two of the positions wanted a project manager who had an engineering background. While an engineering degree would have sufficed, sure, they were really trying anything to hire me for those jobs and any amount of practical experience with engineering would have satisfied them. No matter how many times I tried to tell them I wasn't an engineer, they liked me and my qualifications enough to try and push forward.

Every company that I've spoken to was primarily concerned with my relevant work experience, plain and simple.

FWIW

You want some reasons to NOT get a degree in aviation?

How about my furlough that's coming October 1st.

Or the 148 Continental guys on the street on September 9th.

Or the close to 1,000 United pilots that are hitting the street.

But it's your DDDRRREEEAAAMMMM, right?

Don't forget that some dreams come true, and others turn into nightmares.

I see where you're coming from, but what are you gonna do with the philosophy degree?

Don't get a degree in Aviation

Actually Steve, any liberal arts degree is much more marketable to other industries than an Aviation management degree, or Aviation anything degree.

Here are the reason why I made the choice to get an aviation degree:

1. COST!!!!! The almighty $$$$$$. By going to an ERAU extended campus, I paid less than $200 per credit hour. This was just as cheap as the local state universities. Combine this with the fact that I was credited for 36 credit hours for my Private-CMEL, and this made it an easy decision for me. Even at $200 per credit hour, this was a $7200 savings. Combined with the community college classes I took, and CLEP and DSST tests for credit, I made out like a bandit.

2. I just wanted a 4 year degree. Most employers just want to see that you are dedicated enough to finish your degree. Like kellwolf said, I probably would have just dropped out doing a history, philosophy, or computer science degree, mainly due to cost, and partially due to interest.

3. When I attended the ERAU extended campus, I found that there were many teachers there currently working in higher up management positions at places like DFW Airport, Lockhead Martin, etc... that had received the exactly same degree I was getting. Unlike me, they did go on to get a Master's degree, but this is something I will pursue at a later date. So it does leave options open for something else down the road.

4. I realized early on that an aviation degree is just as "useless" as any liberal arts degree or about 70% of degree courses out there. Refer to #2. I could always get an MBA (which most programs have little prerequisites), Teaching Certificate, or some other further education. Most of these programs only require that you have a 4 year degree, they usually don't care what kind.

5. Without useful experience, those 30% of degree courses that would be useful for a job, like for instance, an accounting degree, would be useless if you are out of the job market for 5-10 years. Fields change rapidly, especially in today's world. If you don't have recent, useful job experience, you are worth LESS than someone fresh out of college with the exact same degree.

Back