Get your Degree in Aviation!!

A friend of mine has an interesting viewpoint on this. She said that college is the one time in your life where you can spend 2-4 years studying exactly what you want to learn about. If you want to study aviation, more power to you. The point of college, or at least one of the points is to learn to think creatively and critically, and also to learn to teach yourself. It is basically a chance to have your knowledge and skills validated by a credible agency. Realistically, there is very little that I learned in college that I couldn't have learned simply by picking up a book from the library.

It is basically a chance to have your knowledge and skills validated by a credible agency.

It's too bad those credible agencies are not doing the hiring. Go to college for another field and take the aviation courses as electives. Really!

Realistically, there is very little that I learned in college that I couldn't have learned simply by picking up a book from the library.

That seems unfortunate to me. I felt that I learned a great deal from classroom discussions, group projects, and cooperative work experience. My instructors really added value to the book knowledge by providing examples and antecdotes from their experiences in the real world. I made a handful of friends who are now my very closest (one of them is now my spouse). To be sucessful, I really had to become effective at managing my time and dealing with the stressors related to my busy schedule. I learned through presentations from leaders in the business community. I learned to think critically.

To the original poster's point: I'd study something you're interested in. If that means you're going to study aviation, just be aware of the limitations that might have on the breadth of your career prospects. As mentioned before, there are many other disciplines can be applied to aviation without limiting your opportunities. (i.e. engineering, finance, accounting, sciences, law, medicine)

What about majoring in aviation, and getting a minor in business or economics? Whats the value of minor in something like that? Im in that position right now. 2 years deep in aviation and am finally coming to realization that its probably not the best thing to major in when it comes to having a "plan b".

Learn a Trade like computer repair, electronics ect... and get your major in aviation. A minor in business or economics is good stuff for knowledge but won't mean a thing when going for a job.

In my experience, people who have the passion, the drive, and - importantly - the hope that Jspeed does... they will not listen regardless of how persuasive the argument may be.

A man has to do what a man has to do.

We all formed our opinions on this topic by being batted around by fate. Jspeed will be no different and he may very likely be on this message board or one like it a decade from now trying to warn young aviators of the mistakes HE made.

The sad truth of the matter is that if 15 years ago I ran into MYSELF (presumably having come back in time in a Delorean...) I still would not have listened to the advice I gave myself.

Aviation is a seductive mistress.

lol good post zap! I just hope I'm not here in the future giving aviation degrees suck advice to other users!

We've been through this a thousand times, Steve; it's a pre-law degree, which gives me the ability to go out and start another real career where I can provide a real income for my family instead of working at McDonnalds. Is it more schooling? Yes, of course, but it's an option where if I had my degree in aviation I'd be short changing myself in trying to head towards any graduate work.

Which just underscores my point that the fall back degree is probably gonna need something else to go with it.....like a post grad degree, work experience or internships.

Too many guys on here use the non-aviation degree thing as a "magic bullet" as a fall back. How many people here that have a BACHELOR degree in something have used it as a fall back yet? How easy/hard was it to land another job?

Getting a non-aviation degree doesn't mean your fall back is gonna work. The guys your competing with when doing so aren't looking at what you've decided as a "fall back" as their primary focus.

I coulda stuck with my original degree in bio science. Where would that get me without internships, work experience or a masters/PhD? I know it got me burned out and I didn't finish, though. Whereas the aviation degree is done, and I didn't have to make myself study. I WANTED to.

my personal backup (to give you an idea of me backing up my words with action) is that I have been employed doing graphic design and advertising for a newspaper and a few businessess for nearly 5 years now.

i have saved a portfolio of hardcopies of a lot of my printed work that i have done.

i have firm evidence of my other skill set, which i believe would serve me well, should i need to look for something outside of flying.

that SAID, i really dont want to do graphic design my whole life, i want to fly airplanes, and i went to school for airplanes, and thats my focus of my energy.

the challenge will be keeping up with a technology/art like graphic design while i am busy flying planes, so that my other skill set is not WAYYYY outdated should i ever need to use it again.

i think that would go for any "fall back" skill/knowledge if you majored in it and then flew planes for a living for XYZ number of years...

Do something in college that you like, but more importantly something that challenges you; do something intellectually stimulating. I was in the same boat you were a year ago and thought with aviation I would be totally content and my love for it would prevail. However, I realized that my parents were forking out an incredible amount of money, and I wasn't really learning anything. I was basically on vacation (although I wouldn't call central indiana the best vacation spot).

We've been through this a thousand times, Steve; it's a pre-law degree, which gives me the ability to go out and start another real career where I can provide a real income for my family instead of working at McDonnalds. Is it more schooling? Yes, of course, but it's an option where if I had my degree in aviation I'd be short changing myself in trying to head towards any graduate work.

How is that going to help your furlough situation you are in now? Isn't that what a backup plan should be for? So you can easily shift to it?

Was there anyone that helped you get that job? Maybe, someone you knew that worked there? Sounds like an interesting job.

Yes, I knew someone that suggested I submit my resume at the right time.

The right time is when contracts are being let, and contracts are being let for NextGen development right now. The company I work for is Subsystems Technologies. www.subsystem.com There are a couple of postions similar to mine posted right now and there are several Fed jobs similar to my position on the FAA site.

Our team has blossomed over the past 8 months from just two to a matrix team of over 15 and we'll probably add 5-10 more in the next 2 years and that is just on one small team on one small project.

How is that going to help your furlough situation you are in now? Isn't that what a backup plan should be for? So you can easily shift to it?

It's easy to replace the $19,000 I made last year, I can do it working at Wendy's. That's not the point of my backup.

My backup is here to provide me with a completely different career path that's going to allow for a suitable living in the long term, while being professionally fulfilling.

You've gotta have short AND long term goals.

Whats wrong with you people saying to avoid aviation as a degree? If you love aviation enough then you should get your degree in it! It just sickens me when people say to major in business and then get your ratings. Whats the point? I don't like IT or business so tell me why must I major in something I hate. If you study something you love, you will fly through it quicker. I get goosebumps when I read about aerodynamics because I love it. Don't come with "Oh but you need a plan B". You can get a better paying job outside of being a pilot even with a Bachlores of Aeronautics! I'm sorry if this came out of no where from a guy who doesn't post on JC alot, but It just hit me today.
I'm going to major in aviation, and even better I plan to get my masters in it. Why? Because I love it, and it motivates me every single day. :panic: :panic:

As someone who DID go to a MAJOR 141 school and had my degree listed as "Commercial Aviation", I say major in whatever you want, whatever gets your 'plane flying' or Goosebumps going. Business is a good option if you like it, now me for instance I love Business. I myself participate in the stock market, and have a couple of ideas id love to implement someday real soon. And it can still be done that when I get on an RJ I can work with a few partners on that and split workload and share ideas while also being financially secured.

Another thing is though certain schools do have agreements through aviation schools for example: UND, ERAU, SIU, all have career centers/services whose targeted in getting you an aviation job, such as resume help or sending it through your school. Not only that I believe Piedmont highly considered Aviation degree holders for a bit, and a few other airlines. Its why im perusing an AA or possibly an second degree through ERAU online, im only about 4 classes away from an AA in aero science, since I completed all my Generals and the same ones match for my Finance BA. By doing this I have a prestigious name on my resume, it shows I still have interest and achievement in aviation, and I have access to ERAU's career services just like any other ERAU student.

Same as business, there are some companies recruiting business majors from my college as entry level management positions or even stock broker trainee's. So keep that in mind your major may help pave the way to a certain career path. For example why would US bank hire an analyst fresh our of college wh omajored in Theatre 101? Of course the student with the Business Adminstration major is more sought after and applicable.

In closing major in what you want. Most people on this site emphasize that because they have been through it and only intend to help. -best

As someone who DID go to a MAJOR 141 school and had my degree listed as "Commercial Aviation", I say major in whatever you want, whatever gets your 'plane flying' or Goosebumps going. Business is a good option if you like it, now me for instance I love Business. I myself participate in the stock market, and have a couple of ideas id love to implement someday real soon. And it can still be done that when I get on an RJ I can work with a few partners on that and split workload and share ideas while also being financially secured.

Another thing is though certain schools do have agreements through aviation schools for example: UND, ERAU, SIU, all have career centers/services whose targeted in getting you an aviation job, such as resume help or sending it through your school. Not only that I believe Piedmont highly considered Aviation degree holders for a bit, and a few other airlines. Its why im perusing an AA or possibly an second degree through ERAU online, im only about 4 classes away from an AA in aero science, since I completed all my Generals and the same ones match for my Finance BA. By doing this I have a prestigious name on my resume, it shows I still have interest and achievement in aviation, and I have access to ERAU's career services just like any other ERAU student.

Same as business, there are some companies recruiting business majors from my college as entry level management positions or even stock broker trainee's. So keep that in mind your major may help pave the way to a certain career path. For example why would US bank hire an analyst fresh our of college wh omajored in Theatre 101? Of course the student with the Business Adminstration major is more sought after and applicable.

In closing major in what you want. Most people on this site emphasize that because they have been through it and only intend to help. -best

:yeahthat:Yeah, I share the same opinion as Chris...I graduated from Middle TN State with a Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace (Major 141 school), and we had the same kind of career services to help us out if we wanted to (even have the option to do mock interviews and a resume review), and if needed they could give you career guidance, as well as our professors.

Besides that, another advantage I think a degree in aviation has is that you 'get it' more. Based upon what I've experienced, IMO, lessons at the FBO or doing one of those fast track programs doesn't allow you to fully understand aviation--you just get enough to learn to past the writtens and the checkrides. As part of the degree, they prepare you for working as a commercial pilot and you get the theories/working with numbers to fully understand what flying is all about. That way you're not the one being kicked out of airline ground school for not 'getting it' because you've seen the same kind of information before.

But I think that aviation is so broad of a industry that there is always a backup for someone to do if they want, especially if you already have a bachelors degree in aviation. Think about it....if I loose my medical and can't fly, I can always go back to a school like MTSU, ERAU, UND, etc and get a Masters in Aviation administration and help run an airline or even a masters in aerospace engineering and design planes. Heck, become a dispatcher or if you can, become Air Traffic Controller. The point is, aviation is too broad of an industry for there not to be a non-flying backup job available.

But, it is a good idea to keep ideas on the back burner and plan for the worst case scenario just in case...

But, it is a good idea to keep ideas on the back burner and plan for the worst case scenario just in case...

this is valid advice for ANY occupation. i dont think it should deter people from putting their full effort into EXACTLY what they wish to study however.

You gotta be kidding me. You just proved that you don't 'get it'.

How's that? Based upon not only my experiences, but also some of my friends' experiences, this has been the case...

When going for your aviation degree, you are exposed more topics related to aviation so you are going to learn more than the FBO or the flight school. For example, instead of a CFI just mentioning the lift equation at the FBO, as part of the collegiate aviation program, as part of Aerodynamics class you learn the equation and its components and then work with different numbers to help gain a better understanding of how lift is generated.

Although it takes time to get the degree, its well worth it in the long run.
Besides, where else can you get the full college experience of going out on Friday nights, being three sheets into the wind at Football games on Saturday, recovering on Sunday, and then flying as part of class on Monday? Good times, good times...

I grew up in Knoxville (FHS Class of 92) so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

You need to know that once you show up for class at your: airline, corporation, fractional, etc... -- where you got your degree and what subject that degree is in does not matter one single bit.

Other than the very occasional, "Where did you go to school" nobody sits around pontificating over the lift equation in real life.

I'm a graduate of FIT School of Aero and I WISH I had a time traveling Delorean. I'd go back, force myself to attend UT, and learn to fly on the side at Skyranch or Downtown Island. Would've saved a LOT of money and had a marketable skill beyond flying.

It's really easy for you guys to armchair quarterback this topic, but until you ask those of us who have been furloughed how easy it is to find non-flying work your argument is irrelevent. Until you're standing in front of the guy at the unemployment office trying to explain why you haven't found a job yet, you just don't get it.

I grew up in Knoxville (FHS Class of 92) so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

You need to know that once you show up for class at your: airline, corporation, fractional, etc... -- where you got your degree and what subject that degree is in does not matter one single bit.

Other than the very occasional, "Where did you go to school" nobody sits around pontificating over the lift equation in real life.

I'm a graduate of FIT School of Aero and I WISH I had a time traveling Delorean. I'd go back, force myself to attend UT, and learn to fly on the side at Skyranch or Downtown Island. Would've saved a LOT of money and had a marketable skill beyond flying.

It's really easy for you guys to armchair quarterback this topic, but until you ask those of us who have been furloughed how easy it is to find non-flying work your argument is irrelevent. Until you're standing in front of the guy at the unemployment office trying to explain why you haven't found a job yet, you just don't get it.

Small world...Which FHS--Farragut or Fulton? I'm a Farragut grad myself (class of '02).

I understand your point completely. Being furloughed isn't something I have experienced (nor do I hope to). But I think that no new pilot has any idea what to expect when that happens, until it happens. The most we can do is just have several backup job ideas and see what works when the time comes.

I don't know about you, but to me and based upon my experience, I have to do something in aviation, otherwise I would get bored with whatever job I have. That's why I decided to major in aviation/commercial piloting-- I found out the hard way that I could not really do anything non-aviation-related long term. So working as a restaurant manager (a backup plan of mine) would only be worth it if I was CFI'ing. However, you may be different and have a lot more things that interest you. I believe that's one very important thing you discover in college (as well as that most college girls don't know what they want:banghead:)--what career choices interest you the most and something you'd like to do for the rest of your life. So if aviation is what you love, you should major in it. But, again think about the back ups and take a few electives in the subjects that you are interested in. Chances are also that there are a many back up plans that are aviation related as well, and if you go to a college/univeristy with a good aviation program, you'll learn all about them. But for me, I'm happy with the degree I have and the options I have available to me.

But I respectfully disagree with you about the aviation degree in ground school. I really believe that it does help you because you have the experience of sitting through long boring lectures in 'no point' classes to get to that point, and if the program is set up right, you have seen/heard what airline/corporate/fractional training is like and get experience in what it maybe like for you. In your opinion did the program at FIT Aero help prepare you for your ground school training or did it not at all?

Besides that, another advantage I think a degree in aviation has is that you 'get it' more. Based upon what I've experienced, IMO, lessons at the FBO or doing one of those fast track programs doesn't allow you to fully understand aviation--you just get enough to learn to past the writtens and the checkrides.

Seriously?

In my experience, guys (on average) who lived in the UND/ERAU/etc bubble "get it" a whole lot less than the average pilot.

I know this sounds arrogant, but aviation has been the most intuitive, straightforward, and all-around easiest subject I've had to study. *Nothing* I've needed to know for my airline necessitated 4 years of studying...a couple hours a week with an instructor--with the occasional 4 week ground school--has suited me just fine. But maybe I don't "get it".

Back