Get your Degree in Aviation!!

Neither does aviation anymore. :)

I'd say aviation degrees are about as useful as English, history, philosophy, psych, liberal arts, etc degrees. Personally, I think it's about as useful as a BS in business since for your "back up" your competing with people that probably have a Masters degree as well as a butt load of work experience and internships. Now that "fall back" degree is pretty useless since you're not competitive. Think of it as applying for a flying job with posted mins of 1000TT when the other people applying have 3000TT/2000ME/1000TT. Sure you meet the mins, but you're not competitive.

My philosophy has always been major in what interests you. If it's aviation, go for it. You're more likely to actually FINISH the degree if it's something you enjoy studying. Take it from someone who's dropped out once and been through three majors.

Best reply so far! Thats the point I'm trying to get across. If you want to become a pilot why waste your time trying to study something you hate when you will never put it to use? It would be more useful to learn a trade like computer repair or electronics then to do that chemical engineering for 4 years.

Oh, please tell me where to apply! All :sarcasm: aside! Dead serious! I have a BA in aviation. I would like to stay in New Orleans but I'd consider moving if the price is right for the location. Help me out, buddy.

:D I did happen to shove my BA degree in my oven at 470* but I can have another one mailed to me.

I see job postings all the time on careerbuilder.com Post your resume on monster.com Their are tons of job postings.

I see where you're coming from, but what are you gonna do with the philosophy degree?

We've been through this a thousand times, Steve; it's a pre-law degree, which gives me the ability to go out and start another real career where I can provide a real income for my family instead of working at McDonnalds. Is it more schooling? Yes, of course, but it's an option where if I had my degree in aviation I'd be short changing myself in trying to head towards any graduate work.

Best reply so far! Thats the point I'm trying to get across. If you want to become a pilot why waste your time trying to study something you hate when you will never put it to use? It would be more useful to learn a trade like computer repair or electronics then to do that chemical engineering for 4 years.

I don't really have a better way to say this, but you'll be wishing you had another skill when you are 35, have a wife and kids to provide for and a mortgage to pay down and you're furloughed.

At 20, you don't care about any of these things, nor would you include them in your planning.

You should, though, consider why the older folks who have been through some furloughs are telling you what they are. They're not telling you what you don't want to hear just to piss you off, they're trying to give you a warning so that you don't make the same mistakes they did.

Like most young adults, you will blow this advice off, just like I did.

Yes, of course, but it's an option where if I had my degree in aviation I'd be short changing myself in trying to head towards any graduate work.

I'm mostly not a fan of aviation degrees either, but I think you are doing what you alway knock people for doing and talking about something you don't really know anything about. I can think of three people off the top of my head that had aviation degrees and went on to to other things (two to law school and one to med school). Unless you have a highly specialized undergrad degree in a scientific field (chem, engineering, higher level math etc) it's just a piece of paper that allows you to win some arguments at a dinner table. Really, I could get into law school with my business degree just as easily as you can with your philosophy degree. And frankly, from what I've seen and aviation degree is pretty similar to a business degree.

What I'm NOT a fan of is the environment that a lot of the aviation degrees are taught in. Undergrad college is WAY more about the environment than the knowledge.

I'm mostly not a fan of aviation degrees either, but I think you are doing what you alway knock people for doing and talking about something you don't really know anything about. I can think of three people off the top of my head that had aviation degrees and went on to to other things (two to law school and one to med school). Unless you have a highly specialized undergrad degree in a scientific field (chem, engineering, higher level math etc) it's just a piece of paper that allows you to win some arguments at a dinner table. Really, I could get into law school with my business degree just as easily as you can with your philosophy degree. And frankly, from what I've seen and aviation degree is pretty similar to a business degree.

What I'm NOT a fan of is the environment that a lot of the aviation degrees are taught in. Undergrad college is WAY more about the environment than the knowledge.

Depends on the aviation degree, where you get it from, how the program's structured.

I dropped out of my aviation degree ASAP because I thought the program was a complete joke and wasn't going to prepare me for anything.

Your mileage may vary.

Sort of off topic, but I got a BBA degree in Aviation Management. I now have a huge desire to go back to school for a BS in Enology and minor in Viticulture... to get into a career that I began to wish I got into when I was training to become a pilot. I can always go back and get the degree later. BUT... if you have kids, more debt, and a family, it's not always easy to do this. So, if you want to get a degree in something, do it as quickly as possible, at least by the time you turn 30.

If you can pass the LSATs, your degree can be in pretty much anything, no?

Some people look on a philosophy degree as a worthless waste of time. Some people look at a aviation degree as a worthless waste of time. But, they are both 4 year degrees, and qualify you to check that box on an application.

Having a plan B is more than a degree not in aviation. It can include that, but it also includes staying "current" in another interest/industry. This can be accomplished with or without a degree in aviation or with our without a degree in something else.

I'm not going to preach about the specifics of a degree course of study. I'm going to preach about having OTHER interests outside of aviation. Maybe running a gym, doing custom carpentry, financial planning, or real estate is something someone is interested in. Keep current with those interests. Make and keep friends in those industries, work a few hours as a "side job"..... Networking extends beyond aviation too :)

Here are the reason why I made the choice to get an aviation degree:

1. COST!!!!! The almighty $$$$$$. By going to an ERAU extended campus, I paid less than $200 per credit hour. This was just as cheap as the local state universities. Combine this with the fact that I was credited for 36 credit hours for my Private-CMEL, and this made it an easy decision for me. Even at $200 per credit hour, this was a $7200 savings. Combined with the community college classes I took, and CLEP and DSST tests for credit, I made out like a bandit.

2. I just wanted a 4 year degree. Most employers just want to see that you are dedicated enough to finish your degree. Like kellwolf said, I probably would have just dropped out doing a history, philosophy, or computer science degree, mainly due to cost, and partially due to interest.

3. When I attended the ERAU extended campus, I found that there were many teachers there currently working in higher up management positions at places like DFW Airport, Lockhead Martin, etc... that had received the exactly same degree I was getting. Unlike me, they did go on to get a Master's degree, but this is something I will pursue at a later date. So it does leave options open for something else down the road.

4. I realized early on that an aviation degree is just as "useless" as any liberal arts degree or about 70% of degree courses out there. Refer to #2. I could always get an MBA (which most programs have little prerequisites), Teaching Certificate, or some other further education. Most of these programs only require that you have a 4 year degree, they usually don't care what kind.

5. Without useful experience, those 30% of degree courses that would be useful for a job, like for instance, an accounting degree, would be useless if you are out of the job market for 5-10 years. Fields change rapidly, especially in today's world. If you don't have recent, useful job experience, you are worth LESS than someone fresh out of college with the exact same degree.

:yeahthat:

The ability to do well on the LSAT helps, and if you REALLY want to destroy if you'd get a degree in math or physics, followed by a degree in philosophy, followed by a degree in economics, followed by a...get the idea?

http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/economics/undergrad/table.htm

You do realize the source you posted is 13 years old. Sure the stats probably haven't changed much but they probably have. Also it is irrevelent because they had guidelines to make the list of which aviation degrees may not fall under because they are not as popular.

"Sure the stats probably haven't changed much but they probably have."

That's ahh...pretty impressive.

What about majoring in aviation, and getting a minor in business or economics? Whats the value of minor in something like that? Im in that position right now. 2 years deep in aviation and am finally coming to realization that its probably not the best thing to major in when it comes to having a "plan b".

I'm sure it's a good thing of having a degree in something else than aviation. I think if anything, engineering degrees beat the crap out of anything else out there.

BUT...

Different circumstances sometimes dictate of what degrees we get sometimes. For me, it came later in life and it came cheap. I got a lot of credits for my degree, most of it was paid by tuition assistance and gi bill, but since I worked full time I just couldnt enroll in a local university full time and get a nice shiny engineering, law or medical degree. So I got what I got, B.S. in Professional Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle. I know it's not the coolest degree in the world, but I try not to lose my sleep over that. I'm also looking into various master's degrees out there like education or something, but I'm also wondering whether it is better to stick with something and master it or just change the majors like diapers

There are lots of postions either with the FAA or contract support to the FAA where 121 pilot experience and a degree in business, IT or perhaps aviation could land you a position paying around $80k to start.

My background in financial systems development, managment, and an MBA coupled with a Commercial certificate and a few hundred hours dual given, landed me a job in the technology development area of the Air Traffic Organization.

It ain't flying, but it pays enough that I have my own plane and I sometimes get to fly it on business travel!

I'll add my $.02, which is probably what it's worth - I would listen to the advice of the "don't waste your time/money/energy on an aviation degree" and would also add that you should consider where you go to school. I've had flying/non-flying jobs, and what was most often discussed in job interviews was WHERE you went to school (non-flying jobs). I think your best bet is to go to the most reputable non-flying college/university you can get into, and get your ratings on the side.

My background in financial systems development, managment, and an MBA coupled with a Commercial certificate and a few hundred hours dual given, landed me a job in the technology development area of the Air Traffic Organization.

Was there anyone that helped you get that job? Maybe, someone you knew that worked there? Sounds like an interesting job.

Whats wrong with you people saying to avoid aviation as a degree? If you love aviation enough then you should get your degree in it! It just sickens me when people say to major in business and then get your ratings. Whats the point? I don't like IT or business so tell me why must I major in something I hate. If you study something you love, you will fly through it quicker. I get goosebumps when I read about aerodynamics because I love it. Don't come with "Oh but you need a plan B". You can get a better paying job outside of being a pilot even with a Bachlores of Aeronautics! I'm sorry if this came out of no where from a guy who doesn't post on JC alot, but It just hit me today.
I'm going to major in aviation, and even better I plan to get my masters in it. Why? Because I love it, and it motivates me every single day. :panic: :panic:

The reason is you don't need an aviation degree in order to get a job in aviation. Why not diversify your resume and at the same time learn a little more about life in general. You may not like business or IT but the electives alone have a lot more to offer. It wouldn't hurt to have a four-year degree in marketing or business or whatever and have a better understanding of say, personal financial management, mortgages, economics, real estate. These are all very informative classes that are offered to you while you work towards your degree, and they may sound dull now, but you will not regret the formal education you received on the subjects when you look back on it.

My advice. Get a degree in finance.

Back