Furlough Estimates

Honestly this "don't feel safe at a regional thing" seems widely accepted. My class was 99% regional guys and mil guys. We had one spirit or one jetblue guy, i dont remember the airline. I wanna say spirit.

Honestly this "don't feel safe at a regional thing" seems widely accepted. My class was 99% regional guys and mil guys. We had one spirit or one jetblue guy, i dont remember the airline. I wanna say spirit.

You know if the Avro was still at Mesaba, you woulda retired as a domestic mini 747 Captain.

Last edited:
before the 'Rona, the last few interview groups included mostly Regional CA's and Prior-Mil pilots, hovering between 1000-3000 TPIC, TT varied. most had a BA and lots of extra curricular titles (CKA, ACP, etc)
Out of curiosity for the ACP box, how much extra points (lack of better term) does checking the box of ACP at a part 141 flight school do, later on for ones career progression? Does it hold up to the same tier as a 121 ACP, I’m thinking no.

Is it worth jumping through the hoops with the FAA to be able to check that box at a Flight School when someone has already checked off gold seal, Training Manager, 141 Check Airman....or will the folks at the opposing end of the table at the airline interview laugh at that title?

I used to tell people my part time job is a regional FO at SkyWest, my full time job is getting employment at an airline with the same name on the paycheck as the side of the airplane.

And no, this doesn't count:

maxresdefault.jpg

Out of curiosity for the ACP box, how much extra points (lack of better term) does checking the box of ACP at a part 141 flight school do, later on for ones career progression? Does it hold up to the same tier as a 121 ACP, I’m thinking no.

Is it worth jumping through the hoops with the FAA to be able to check that box at a Flight School when someone has already checked off gold seal, Training Manager, 141 Check Airman....or will the folks at the opposing end of the table at the airline interview laugh at that title?
It gets you in the interview, if you say that to a line pilot you might get laughed at. I'm not kidding, get it done if you wanna do the job and itll probably get you through the computer software faster to get to that table with real people.

Don't think for a second anyone flying a plane gives a • about it. Well maybe some do, but i don't. Especially dont if im the captain and you still feel we need to learn the GA-douchebag way of doing things. No one cares. I would even go so far to say none of that is transferable to the airline except you've kept studying crap so you might be a useful monkey when it comes time to help your idiot classmates who want to tell you how they did it at the other place.

Uh, I can't imagine what being an assistant chief at a flight school would net you in the 121 world... unless you have absolutely no other leadership experience obtained at the regional you end up at

Uh, I can't imagine what being an assistant chief at a flight school would net you in the 121 world... unless you have absolutely no other leadership experience obtained at the regional you end up at

I would think that it might make you stand out to get an interview, when you're still working at the flight school, putting in apps at regionals. But doubtful that at the next step, regional pilot to legacy, ULCC/LCC etc. That it would really matter.

Last edited:
I would think that it might make you stand out to get an interview when you're still working at the flight school. But putting in apps at regionals. But doubtful that at the next step, regional pilot to legacy, ULCC/LCC etc. That it would really matter.
Not a whole lot makes one person stand out, compared to the others during the interview. The hard part is getting to the interview. I can’t think of a single time I was excited to ask a question about what was on someone’s resume (that was unusual). Bottom line, once you’re at the interview, everyone is about the same.

I know internals help a lot. Checking a lot of boxes also helps. And so does dumb-luck in timing.

I also know a bunch of things that will break the interview real quick.

I have plenty of time off and a nice buffer in my wallet to fuel my complex.

I admit, I wouldn’t make it very far at Delta. I don’t address myself as “Captain Nark”, I also don’t give the pax my resume, like all the uncle Rico’s who never flew in combat during their military career, but yet feel they need to tell the pax they’re still awesome flying them to Moline. And I lastly, I’m not sworn officer of the guard police.

Yeah, if only everyone was as humble as you the world would be a better place.

I used to tell people my part time job is a regional FO at SkyWest, my full time job is getting employment at an airline with the same name on the paycheck as the side of the airplane.

There were some good people there at least. The guy who put a word in for me when I went to Scenic Air Cargo at PHX, which was owned by Skywest, was a PSP based EMB-120 pilot for them, prior to his untimely death in a crash. Good guy. One of @Pilot Fighter ’s types.

Last edited:
There were some good people there at least. The guy who put a word in for me when I went to Scenic Air Cargo at PHX, which was owned by Skywest, was a PSP based EMB-120 pilot for them, prior to his untimely death in a crash. Good guy.

SkyWest is still my favorite job in aviation. The pilots I met there were so chill and did a great job. Everyone in management I was in contact with seemed to support the pilot group. Still the nature of the business meant that bases come and go and your job still depends on the majors giving your employer business. I can see how easy it would be to get comfortable there, but I knew that was a poor long term choice.

SkyWest is still my favorite job in aviation. The pilots I met there were so chill and did a great job. Everyone in management I was in contact with seemed to support the pilot group. Still the nature of the business meant that bases come and go and your job still depends on the majors giving your employer business. I can see how easy it would be to get comfortable there, but I knew that was a poor long term choice.
Takes about two years for the koolaid to wear off.

Takes about two years for the koolaid to wear off.

You realize you're dealing with probably one of the most jaded pilots out there? With my 91/135 history I had pretty much resigned myself that flying with bigots and complete idiots was the norm. Then I started flying at SkyWest.

"Oh wow. Cool people actually do exist in aviation"

Last edited:
Back