Furlough Estimates

Ironically I have Colgan on my resume...
I still remember in 2007 going to an ATP school to take the ATP written because I had a Colgan interview and all of the instructors telling me I needed to hold out for comair or expressjet or ASA. Going to a crappy regional was a million times better than any of those.

I still remember in 2007 going to an ATP school to take the ATP written because I had a Colgan interview and all of the instructors telling me I needed to hold out for comair or expressjet or ASA. Going to a crappy regional was a million times better than any of those.
Conversely, going to Mesaba from Colgan was wildly better pay, QOL, when we got bought and "merged" nothing bad happened because Buddy Casey had another bad idea (contracts are fun). As an FO I made more than some of the Q captains I ran across, though I don't think that was the norm. As a 900 FO I definitely made more than a Great Mistakes CA and checkairman I used to haul to DEN. I didn't have captains look at me and say, "Don't do this at a real airline, this is just a Colgan thing" right before we did whatever we were going to do. Never had to deal with the FAA jumpseat invasion after the BUF crash.

...this is spot on! Get in, get your time and then get out!

I gotta admit as an FO I got pretty comfy at my regional. Once I updgraded and became a de facto CFI during a hiring boom.....well let’s just say I’m glad I’ve moved on. We’ve all been the new guy and I was glad to help but you start looking at your paycheck and you think .....”I got buddies who make this much with half the stress and they’re sleeping in their own bed tonight.”

Conversely, going to Mesaba from Colgan was wildly better pay, QOL, when we got bought and "merged" nothing bad happened because Buddy Casey had another bad idea (contracts are fun). As an FO I made more than some of the Q captains I ran across, though I don't think that was the norm. As a 900 FO I definitely made more than a Great Mistakes CA and checkairman I used to haul to DEN. I didn't have captains look at me and say, "Don't do this at a real airline, this is just a Colgan thing" right before we did whatever we were going to do. Never had to deal with the FAA jumpseat invasion after the BUF crash.
I’ve heard nothing but good things about mesaba. I enjoyed their CRJ ground school in MSP. But they weren’t ever an option for me down in Tejas.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about mesaba. I enjoyed their CRJ ground school in MSP. But they weren’t ever an option for me down in Tejas.
Yeah man, im such a gypsy i was like "move away?!" Lets do it!!! Bye bye northeast!

SkyWest is still my favorite job in aviation. The pilots I met there were so chill and did a great job. Everyone in management I was in contact with seemed to support the pilot group. Still the nature of the business meant that bases come and go and your job still depends on the majors giving your employer business. I can see how easy it would be to get comfortable there, but I knew that was a poor long term choice.
I enjoyed my time as a senior FO on the west coast there.
Upgraded to reserve and it was like working for a whole different company. I never flew 135 so maybe OO was the greener grass on the other side of the fence for you, but reserve captain life was mostly completely miserable.

Yeah, I flew with an ex-Mesaba pilot on my last trip and it was really interesting to hear about their history and the way their programs worked, and the fact that they’d never had an accident in their entire history. And the flying that they were doing and the equipment they did it with were, shall we say, not trivial.

Wait...people actually say those things in an interview?
Funny thing about the whole interview is he nailed the tech portion and was a no-brainer easy yes from me (I’m not HR).

Until...

I’m not sure he realized the landline he stepped in. He was oblivious.

I’m sure he’s at Delta now... ;)

I enjoyed my time as a senior FO on the west coast there.
Upgraded to reserve and it was like working for a whole different company. I never flew 135 so maybe OO was the greener grass on the other side of the fence for you, but reserve captain life was mostly completely miserable.

Yep. The TDY stuff was out of hand and made me extremely jaded in less than 12 months. It was bad.

Yep. The TDY stuff was out of hand and made me extremely jaded in less than 12 months. It was bad.
I honestly never got TDY’d, I’d have kind of welcomed it. The endless ready reserve that seemed like it was designed to prevent commutes was the worst. “You can defer notification the last two hours of your last day, but not on ready reserve.” Then I’d get slapped with ready reserve every single last day, check the flow board and every single flight within a 200 mile radius was done for the day, call and say “I really want to make my cross country commute 20 minutes before I’m due off.” only to get told no for no good reason, every single time.

I honestly never got TDY’d, I’d have kind of welcomed it. The endless ready reserve that seemed like it was designed to prevent commutes was the worst. “You can defer notification the last two hours of your last day, but not on ready reserve.” Then I’d get slapped with ready reserve every single last day, check the flow board and every single flight within a 200 mile radius was done for the day, call and say “I really want to make my cross country commute 20 minutes before I’m due off.” only to get told no for no good reason, every single time.

Yeah, that would be awful for your situation.

I lived in base, so didn’t mind RR as much. But then I’d get TDYd from DEN to somewhere like MSP or DTW and get assigned garbage trips that I never would’ve had with my seniority in that base. It was infuriating, and I was constantly battling CS.

Back