Furlough Estimates

From what I saw junior CA was still 2016 hire, NYC 220. I believe only about ~300 got downgraded from CA to FO over the last 3 vacancy bids if I read them correctly. From what I can see on seniority list, junior CA is around 9000. A lot of other bases and equipment domestic it hovers around 6-8000 as most junior, which is 2013-2014 hires. The 03/04 hires whoever said that is way off.

Oh ok. I read flying magazine and Sam Weigel has a column where he wrote about being a NYC 737 CA but now with the displacements he said he couldn’t hold the left seat and now going to the 757/767 as FO. He was a 2014 compass flow guy. That was why it was confusing to see there are 2016 DOH captains. I assume there was some sort of reinstatement rights only for those on the A220 which is why someone like Sam got locked out and forced a downgrade even though someone junior to him held CA.

WA is Western? What’s PP?

Last edited:
They are still breaking it down by legacy???

In addition to what tcc094 said being true, I will add that the individual who runs the site that produced that chart would regularly bring up North-South in any discussion where he could attempt to make it relevant, and was ejected from his pilot group's chat site as well as the facebook group. The type of retiree we all should strive to be someday... :D

In addition to what tcc094 said being true, I will add that the individual who runs the site that produced that chart would regularly bring up North-South in any discussion where he could attempt to make it relevant, and was ejected from his pilot group's chat site as well as the facebook group. The type of retiree we all should strive to be someday... :D

tenor.gif

(I should note, I don't think this is good, but I do think it's hilarious. Guys like this probably have a, "Hired, not acquired" sticker on their bag)

Any club that would take me as a member is intolerable.

#notsurprised

Southwest sent notices of potential furloughs to thousands of employees Thursday in what represents the carrier's largest batch of notices issued so far.
Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) issued WARN Act notices — which are required as part of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act — to nearly 7,000 employees Thursday, according to a statement from the company.
Just because a company issues WARN Act notices doesn't mean furloughs are guaranteed or every employee who receives a notice will be furloughed. There is still time for the company and various unions to reach agreements on cost-cutting strategies and avoid furloughs.
The WARN Act notices issued Thursday represent the largest number of notices Dallas-based Southwest has issued since it started issuing notices Nov. 6. The carrier also issued WARN notices to mechanics Nov. 18.
Here are the workgroups affected by the notices, according to the company:
  • 2,551 ramp, provisioning, operations, and cargo agents
  • 1,500 flight attendants
  • 1,221 pilots
  • 1,176 customer service agents in ground operations
  • 370 customer support and services and source of support representatives
  • Six flight instructors
  • Four flight simulator technicians
Depending on the workgroup, furloughs will take place March 15 or April 1 or within 14 days after those dates, the company said.
Leaders from unions which represent affected employees such as TWU Local 556, which represents 17,000 flight attendants, and the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association, which represents 10,000 pilots, offered sharp rebukes of the company.
"It's a sad day at Southwest Airlines when the company refuses to allow members to participate in voluntary programs to save jobs and instead sends WARN Act notices to our hard-working aviation safety professionals on the front lines of the pandemic," TWU Local 556 leadership told members in a message.
Captain Jon Weaks, SWAPA president, said in a video message to pilots that Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly "put a dollar value on 49 years of Southwest Airlines culture and its commitment to our pilots who are part of its employee family — $220 million."

Southwest has never conducted an involuntary furlough or layoff in its nearly 50 years of operation. That streak could end as soon as January if the company's negotiations with unions continue to yield no agreements on cost-cutting strategies.
In early October, Southwest leadership laid out its offer to unions — agree to 10 percent pay cuts, and there won't be furloughs through 2021. Many unions balked at that proposal, instead wanting to pursue other cost-cutting strategies. So far, negotiations for many of the company's largest unions have yielded no agreements.
"We have been engaged with our unions since early October seeking temporary cost reductions to help offset over $1 billion of overstaffing costs projected for 2021," Russell McCrady, vice president labor relations, said in a statement. "Our absolute goal is to preserve every job at Southwest Airlines; however, due to a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations, we had to proceed with issuing notifications to additional employees who are valued members of the Southwest Family.
"We are willing to continue negotiations quickly to preserve jobs if we can achieve the support that allows Southwest to combat the ongoing economic challenges created by the decline in demand for air travel," McCrady added.
A breakdown of where the 6,828 WARN Act notices were issued was not immediately available Thursday.
Southwest is one of the largest employers in North Texas with 10,000 employees locally between its corporate headquarters in Dallas and operations at Dallas Love Field, one of its busiest airports.

I can't tell if you're seriously arguing for a suspension of our civil liberties or not.

That’s good it means my sarcasm skills are improving.

To be perfectly clear, no amount of deaths would make it OK for mask mandates or shutting businesses down against their will. Period. Ever.

The government gets its power from the consent of the governed. This means people should be able to choose whether to go out or not, whether to wear a mask or not, and whether they want to eat in a restaurant or not. People who are worried can choose to stay home. People who can’t stay home who don’t want to give it to grandma can adjust their grandma visiting schedules accordingly. People who live with at risk people can adjust their behaviors accordingly.

It’s simply too damned bad if people are scared. Government overreach has proven itself to be the most dangerous threat to freedom time and time again. I’m not willing to entertain it one bit. These panicky donkeys think the virus numbers are scary? Sheesh, take a look at governments around the world. Doesn’t hold a candle imho.

Heard this through the grapevine, but is UAL bringing back their March class that was sent home? Hoping that it’s true!

Have not heard yet, but would be amazing. That said, we are still pretty overstaffed, so I would be kind of surprised. What is true is they are starting up aviate interviews again, which is hiring for 2024-2025 essentially.

That’s good it means my sarcasm skills are improving.

To be perfectly clear, no amount of deaths would make it OK for mask mandates or shutting businesses down against their will. Period. Ever.

The government gets its power from the consent of the governed. This means people should be able to choose whether to go out or not, whether to wear a mask or not, and whether they want to eat in a restaurant or not. People who are worried can choose to stay home. People who can’t stay home who don’t want to give it to grandma can adjust their grandma visiting schedules accordingly. People who live with at risk people can adjust their behaviors accordingly.

It’s simply too damned bad if people are scared. Government overreach has proven itself to be the most dangerous threat to freedom time and time again. I’m not willing to entertain it one bit. These panicky donkeys think the virus numbers are scary? Sheesh, take a look at governments around the world. Doesn’t hold a candle imho.
Well said!

I've said it before. Perhaps the most important thing President Trump did was what he didn't do; use the pandemic as an excuse to seize power like so many other world leaders have done.

We're three days away from an Administration that rejects the Founding Principles of individual rights and limited government. It's scary. But what's more scary is the number of We The People who agree with them.

Back