Furlough Estimates

So this still doesn’t make sense, then. Hiring means additional airplanes, not just bringing back parked ones. And the parked ones aren’t even coming back yet.
Not necessarily in covid times, seems like it could change staffing. Reserve coverage probably has to be higher per block hour in the event of self quarantines/employee infections

Not necessarily in covid times, seems like it could change staffing. Reserve coverage probably has to be higher per block hour in the event of self quarantines/employee infections

Schedules are also often less efficient, so they need more crews per plane than before the Pandemic. Not sure if this would be enough that they'd need to hire but who knows.

So this still doesn’t make sense, then. Hiring means additional airplanes, not just bringing back parked ones. And the parked ones aren’t even coming back yet.
There’s talk of the vaccine being available as soon as mid December. And while that is still just frontline workers that can get it, Ma and Pa freedom will still take it as the permission to resume normal life.

There’s talk of the vaccine being available as soon as mid December. And while that is still just frontline workers that can get it, Ma and Pa freedom will still take it as the permission to resume normal life.
Coronavirus likes this, although I respectfully submit that Ma and Pa Freedumb never really stopped.

They confirmed 6.4 million to be distributed within 24 hours of FDA approval. FDA meets Dec 10, how long that process takes is undetermined. But with Moderna and Pfizer they said they'll have around 40 million distributed by the end of 2020. But I do believe that's worldwide, not just US.

*correction, appears 40 million by years end for USA. How much actually get distributed, who knows but they say they'll have them ready.

Does anyone have the numbers currently furloughed at each airline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't imagine this being healthy. Like the death counters on cable news. Maybe I'm off base. Idk.

You could be right. I'm not looking for the information for any nefarious purpose. There's a colleague on our union forum suggesting that American, for example, hasn't furloughed. I believe that is incorrect and want to debate armed with factual information.

At the moment my pilot group is being asked for concessions in exchange for furlough protection. The vocal majority(?) suggests that concessions have never prevented a furlough, but I believe United, Delta, JetBlue and more prove that to be incorrect.

They should all vote their conscience if in fact we even have anything to vote on. But if they're trying to persuade former military pilots for example who might not have as strong a background in civil aviation history, then I believe they should be factual.

So numbers, not to declare winners or losers but to aggregate data might be useful in the interest of discussion.

If they’re arguing “concessions never saved furloughs!”, I’d suggest you run. You’ll never change their minds, it’ll get progressively heated, and it will get real old, real fast. Trust me...

You could be right. I'm not looking for the information for any nefarious purpose. There's a colleague on our union forum suggesting that American, for example, hasn't furloughed. I believe that is incorrect and want to debate armed with factual information.

A friend of mine is furloughed from American, so that’s incorrect.

At the moment my pilot group is being asked for concessions in exchange for furlough protection. The vocal majority(?) suggests that concessions have never prevented a furlough, but I believe United, Delta, JetBlue and more prove that to be incorrect.

They should all vote their conscience if in fact we even have anything to vote on. But if they're trying to persuade former military pilots for example who might not have as strong a background in civil aviation history, then I believe they should be factual.

So numbers, not to declare winners or losers but to aggregate data might be useful in the interest of discussion.

Seems what is being negiotated in public by your CEO is a big ask compared to the many airlines who saved furloughs. That's just my observation. I know you guys came into this overstaffed from what I've read, how was the early retirement in terms of mitigating that? Obviously you're overstaffed for this climate but did it make a good dent?

A friend of mine is furloughed from American, so that’s incorrect.
Yup, the furlough notice on Oct 1 went around the interwebs. Sad. From what I've heard they started with X amount and plan the rest over a period of time? Their Q3 earnings look wicked scary to still be burning around 2x as much as their rivals. Not sure why, maybe you know?

Seems what is being negiotated in public by your CEO is a big ask compared to the many airlines who saved furloughs. That's just my observation. I know you guys came into this overstaffed from what I've read, how was the early retirement in terms of mitigating that? Obviously you're overstaffed for this climate but did it make a good dent?

About 7% left for good. Another 14% took extended leave, but about 500 of those return from leave March 1st.

I don't want to debate the ask. My opinion on whether not it was reasonable is irrelevant.

I just dislike someone arguing their point based on the notion that concessions never helped mitigate furloughs, when there are clear examples in the recent past of places where they did - UA, DL, B6 and maybe more.

If you don't want to take concessions, fine. Say that. Don't make justifications for full pay till the last day. I'd have more respect for people who say "I've been here a long time and don't believe I should have to give anything up for junior pilots"

Back