Furlough Estimates

Yup, the furlough notice on Oct 1 went around the interwebs. Sad. From what I've heard they started with X amount and plan the rest over a period of time? Their Q3 earnings look wicked scary to still be burning around 2x as much as their rivals. Not sure why, maybe you know?

Not sure, haven’t been watching the airline financials that closely lately.

Seems what is being negiotated in public by your CEO is a big ask compared to the many airlines who saved furloughs. That's just my observation. I know you guys came into this overstaffed from what I've read, how was the early retirement in terms of mitigating that? Obviously you're overstaffed for this climate but did it make a good dent?

Congrats on the LOA passing, takes a huge stress off things.

What's your shop doing in terms of these CA displacements? On one hand I heard they threw em back all the way to a 2003/4 hire. But then there's some sort of re-instatement rights which allow much more junior CAs to get their seats back, whereas senior FOs are locked out? There are 2016 DOH CAs again. Either way it looks like things are at least trending in the right direction.

Lot's of sick calls?
No, it's a shortage of active and current pilots. I'll let management explain it to you how and why that happened.

I'll also add some cancellations are apparently due to a drop in demand.

Last edited:
colleague on our union forum suggesting that American, for example, hasn't furloughed. I believe that is incorrect and want to debate armed with factual information.

The internet is wrong. There are lots of furloughed pilots at AA. There are also pilots on zero time lines trying to pick up scraps because zero plus is better than furlough.

No, it's a shortage of active and current pilots. I'll let management explain it to you how and why that happened.

I'll also add some cancellations are apparently due to a drop in demand.

Lack of management... I saw this coming a few months ago, thankfully I had today off and my popcorn ready.

Meanwhile Delta has cancelled almost 300 flights impacting 21.5k passengers due to lack of crews. That's roughly 20% of all flights today.
Would you have any idea how much of this is just Delta? As opposed to regional airlines flying for them?

So this still doesn’t make sense, then.

No, it doesn't, but this may explain it partially.

The ULCCs lease their fleets. They are taking delivery of the airplanes because they have to with the overall agreement they have with the leaser. They still have lease payments to make so they might as well fly around the planes in hopes of generating the revenue they need in order at least cut into those lease payments. At my place we can park entire fleets and because we own the fleet outright this alleviates some pressure as there are no lease payments on that parked fleet.

Last edited:
Not exactly furlough info but retirement: does anyone have the remaining mandatory retirements for 2021/2022 after all the shifting around of VEOP, etc ? I tried the search function but came up empty (maybe operator error).

I see on APC that the profile for Delta lists 696 for 2021 but I can't tell if that's accurate after all that's happened recently

Thanks.

Not exactly furlough info but retirement: does anyone have the remaining mandatory retirements for 2021/2022 after all the shifting around of VEOP, etc ? I tried the search function but came up empty (maybe operator error).

I see on APC that the profile for Delta lists 696 for 2021 but I can't tell if that's accurate after all that's happened recently

Thanks.
2E7CB558-5000-4F1A-8A5B-FBEA8DD68EBA.jpeg

Nice. Is this only based on age 65 or does it group VEOP takers who have a future retirement date into 2021? I could see the 2021 number being a significant percentage larger at a small expense to each the future years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I belive the 2021 number includes around 100 VEOP pilots because it appears the 65'ers is only at 388 for 2021.

Congrats on the LOA passing, takes a huge stress off things.

What's your shop doing in terms of these CA displacements? On one hand I heard they threw em back all the way to a 2003/4 hire. But then there's some sort of re-instatement rights which allow much more junior CAs to get their seats back, whereas senior FOs are locked out? There are 2016 DOH CAs again. Either way it looks like things are at least trending in the right direction.
From what I saw junior CA was still 2016 hire, NYC 220. I believe only about ~300 got downgraded from CA to FO over the last 3 vacancy bids if I read them correctly. From what I can see on seniority list, junior CA is around 9000. A lot of other bases and equipment domestic it hovers around 6-8000 as most junior, which is 2013-2014 hires. The 03/04 hires whoever said that is way off.

Back