From FAA to JAA

How do citizens of the EU, who want to be pilots pay for their training? Everything I have read about flight training over there sounds so cost prohibitive that I would think that very few get their training done. But European aviation does not sound like its hurting for pilots

From my research it seems to be similar to here in America, either you have money in the family to support your training after high school, or you pursue a career in another field and then save enough coin to pay for it yourself. Places like Oxford in the UK, Lund University in Sweden, etc., offer post high school theory and course work as well as many mom and pop type places throughout the continent.

Irish airlines can get pilots with the right qualifications waivers from the IAA (Ryanair - 737/8 etc and Aer Arann - ATR 72). I saw a thread on another site some Alaska guys looking into Ryanair. Although RYR are parking planes right now in Dublin and Stansted and giving pilots a week of unpaid leave for all their hard work.

:yeahthat: Tragic they are parking planes. Danish airline Sterling filed for bankruptcy today, crap news for European aviators.

:yeahthat: Tragic they are parking planes. Danish airline Sterling filed for bankruptcy today, crap news for European aviators.

I currently live in Europe. The job market is pretty bad. The good news is that if you have JAA license. EU passport and willing to pay 29000 Euros to Ryan Air then you will be able to get a job with them. They just started hiring into a pool right now. Look at their website.

Good luck

Back