Flight Instruction Price- is it steep or halfway decent?

Where do you fly? NOWHERE in the Houston area can you get a plane and an instructor for less than $91. And if that is steep were you fly let us know where that is!!

If it's *with* the plane - that is cheap. If it's only the instructor I still say it's steep for primary training. Here in DC you can't get a plane and instructor for that either - I think $135 is about the going rate for a 152.

LC

Lol well, as for the type, I'm sure they are just some sort of Cessna. I'm going to be a little set-back because as cheap as you say $91/hr is, I don't have that kind of money.

About how many hours does it take until you can solo?

Depends on the student, If you catch on quickly as little as 10. If you are a slow learner it could be 40. Also a huge determining factor is how often you fly.

It all depends it good be ground school if they have one set up. Basically like any classroom environment for that. Or it could be 1-on-1 with the instructor for the ground portion.

Then you are required to have atleast 40 hours total flight time to get your private 20 has to be with an instructor and 10 solo the rest has to used as the instructor sees fit. I haven't seen anyone personally obtain their license right at the minimum hours. It could be done if you study hard and catch on quickly

Next question: Is it something that I should save and have money ready for hours, or should I get an hour of instruction here, an hour there, etc

Next question: Is it something that I should save and have money ready for hours, or should I get an hour of instruction here, an hour there, etc

Save!

If you don't then your flying is going to be sporadic and you are going to learn very little.

Save save save!!!!

Fly as often as possible, it helps immensely with retention. It will take you less time to finish, most likely less time to solo which all equals up to less money spent on instructor fees.

If that $91 includes the plane, gas and instructor, I'd say definitely go for it. You can actually get that price in Austin if you shop around a bit, but it's difficult and availability is hard and the planes definitely show the amount they fly.

I'd budget about $5000-6500 for your PPL. Any money left over can be spent on time-building AFTER you've got the license. Remember, once you have the license you want to USE it.

Back