Flight Attendant uses Aircraft PA for a 'spiritual moment'

Nope. I make the necessary announcement and get off the PA as quickly as possible. The business pax don't want to hear that crap. They want to be left in peace to get that two hour nap that may be the only sleep they get for 24 hours because of some meetings, or they want to get some work done on their laptop without being bothered, etc. My company turns a profit because of business travelers. I do everything I can to accomodate them. The immature leisure travelers who fly once every three years who get a kick out of this nonsense aren't my target audience. They'll buy a ticket just because it's cheap. The business traveler is a little more discerning.

And we appreciate it. Some crews are way better than others.

Somebody is being friendly and trying to show compassion and encouragement to fellow human beings... yeah definitely worth calling her names and suggesting she be fired. What the hell is wrong with people?
I guess I'd like to have the impression that the flight attendant is a trained safety professional and could reasonably be expected to perform her duties in the event of an emergency. This isn't Romper Room - it's an aircraft. When people who are in a professional situation talk in a whispy voice about mushy things, they lose all credibility.

I've had the pleasure of flying with this lady. (as a jumpseater)

To take more than 30 seconds of your life to complain about it openly says a lot about you.
She's going to do a carpet dance, most likely a slap on the wrist.
She didn't go crazy and threaten the aircraft nor did she say, screw this and pop the slide. (to be fair there isn't a slide on the erj)
Yet the Jetblue dude got thousands of vicarious "high-fives" throughout the airline world.

This isn't going to go much further than some blog, because no one wants to hear about someone wish you well.

Unfortunately, it is a Federal requirement that a crew member make an announcement to the effect of, "Ladies and gentlemen, F/O Blue from the flight deck. Even though the Captain has turned off the Fasten Seat Belt sign, we ask that while you are seated you keep your seat belt fastened about you." (That is, however, where the announcement may end as far as I remember.) I mean, the very point of turning it off is so that folks need not remain seated. I keep to the minimum verbiage required out of habit and out of (possibly, rightly) thinking that my time is better spent reading company-approved documents flying the airplane. ;)

More than once, in back, on American, after the takeoff ding-ding, I would hear a 20 minute sermon about staying out of the way of the FAs, not going to the galleys (serious), not loitering in front, not this, not that—and then have the same information repeated to me by the Captain in his 20 minute sermon and then at the end he would turn off the sign.

rageface.jpg

American Beagle had this long script in FM-1 that I'm not sure anyone (including pedantically by the book new hire FOs, including this FO) ever read aloud in full.

Nope. I make the necessary announcement and get off the PA as quickly as possible. The business pax don't want to hear that crap. They want to be left in peace to get that two hour nap that may be the only sleep they get for 24 hours because of some meetings, or they want to get some work done on their laptop without being bothered, etc. My company turns a profit because of business travelers. I do everything I can to accomodate them. The immature leisure travelers who fly once every three years who get a kick out of this nonsense aren't my target audience. They'll buy a ticket just because it's cheap. The business traveler is a little more discerning.
Stick to basics on the PA and you'll never embarrass yourself. Well...you'll embarrass yourself less I mean.

We'll agree to disagree. Once or twice a week I may throw in a subtle joke. I don't see that as being unprofessional. It's called customer service. Sue me for getting a few people to grin.

We'll agree to disagree. Once or twice a week I may throw in a subtle joke. I don't see that as being unprofessional. It's called customer service. Sue me for getting a few people to grin.

What I do is called "customer service," as well. But I'm aiming for the customer that actually puts us in the black, while you're aiming for the customer that only flies on your airline once every couple of years. Always remember who pays the bills for the airlines: the business traveler.

Unfortunately, it is a Federal requirement that a crew member make an announcement to the effect of, "Ladies and gentlemen, F/O Blue from the flight deck. Even though the Captain has turned off the Fasten Seat Belt sign, we ask that while you are seated you keep your seat belt fastened about you." (That is, however, where the announcement may end as far as I remember.) I mean, the very point of turning it off is so that folks need not remain seated. I keep to the minimum verbiage required out of habit and out of (possibly, rightly) thinking that my time is better spent reading company-approved documents flying the airplane. ;)

I don't believe there is any regulatory requirement for this. A lot of companies have a requirement for it, though. I always got around it by making a PA before the flight telling them to make sure their seatbelts are fastened even when the sign is off. Covered the company requirement to remind the passengers about keeping the seatbelt fastened, while not waking everyone up or disturbing their work, movie, or XM satellite radio.

The best policy is to do the required PA's and to shut the hell up.

At best, after it's filtered through the microphone and speaker, you're only 40% as witty, uplifting, humorous or jovial as you think you are and 60% percent of the other people will mis-hear you or wish you were quiet.

Sent from my TRS-80

In May I flew from YYZ to PEK on Air Canada and every single announcement was first given in English.... Then repeated in French.... And wait for it.... Chinese. I'd say at least 2 of the 13 hours on board that plane were spent on announcements

The best policy is to do the required PA's and to shut the hell up.

At best, after it's filtered through the microphone and speaker, you're only 40% as witty, uplifting, humorous or jovial as you think you are and 60% percent of the other people will mis-hear you or wish you were quiet.

I look at PA announcements in the same way as I look at low-level military flybys for sports games, etc:

At BEST, you break even. Often, you lose. In the end, they're just not worth it.

I don't believe there is any regulatory requirement for this. A lot of companies have a requirement for it, though. I always got around it by making a PA before the flight telling them to make sure their seatbelts are fastened even when the sign is off. Covered the company requirement to remind the passengers about keeping the seatbelt fastened, while not waking everyone up or disturbing their work, movie, or XM satellite radio.
It's 14 CFR 121.571 (a) (2) if you were curious, Your Airworthiness.

I look at PA announcements in the same way as I look at low-level military flybys for sports games, etc:

At BEST, you break even. Often, you lose. In the end, they're just not worth it.

Exactly. A few years ago I was flying with a real nervous captain. The CFR crew was doing a fire drill and on a three mile final, he wanted me to do a PA about the smoke and fire so the passengers wouldn't be concerned

Aroo?!

I ignored him and when we go on the ground I told him that there was no way I was going to tell a plane load full of Danish about a "fire drill" do they can mis hear me and think that we're on fire and do an un-commanded evacuation of the aircraft.

It just wasn't going to happen.

"I commanded you..."

"LOL. Hey man, it's been real. My PHX flight is at 1800 so ah'mo cruise when there's a hole."

I know that there have been several passengers that have flown on my flights several times (Same routes, same days)

I am sure they think I am a robot, because with they exception of altitude, time remaining, and weather at destination, my PAs are EXACTLY the same every flight. Word for word.

Keep simple, stick to what you know.

Exactly. A few years ago I was flying with a real nervous captain. The CFR crew was doing a fire drill and on a three mile final, he wanted me to do a PA about the smoke and fire so the passengers wouldn't be concerned

Aroo?!

I ignored him and when we go on the ground I told him that there was no way I was going to tell a plane load full of Danish about a "fire drill" do they can mis hear me and think that we're on fire and do an un-commanded evacuation of the aircraft.

It just wasn't going to happen.

"I commanded you..."

"LOL. Hey man, it's been real. My PHX flight is at 1800 so ah'mo cruise when there's a hole."

Words and phrases to avoid over the PA, for a happier and healthier life.

Fire
Failure
Smoke
Problem
Trouble
Broken
Emergency
Dangerous
Low on fuel

Feel free to add....

Back