Flight Attendant uses Aircraft PA for a 'spiritual moment'

rframe said:
ZOMG, I totally forgot it's an AIRCRAFT... you're right and now that I think about it I realized that if someone says something nice to me they are totally incompetent at directing me to the nearest exit in an orderly manner.

Sorry, but anybody complaining about this is just being a dick.

How about the flight attendant that had the gay shaken out of them, would they be a dick for complaining?

One of the *ahem*, multiple, times I got called onto the carpet at Brand X was for making a simple, 30 second preflight PA explaining the reason for a 45 minute delay (minimum crew rest). This was after being advised by a jumpseater that the gate agent was telling passengers that their flight was delayed because the flight crew "overslept", and that I had better say something. So I said something very similar to this:

"Welcome aboard flight XXXX to Megahub XXXX. We apologize for our delay this morning; we were delayed into Memphis last night due to weather and were required to rest for 8 hours prior to this flight, but we'll get you to Megahub as quickly as possible. Our flight time is 2 hours, thank you."

The PA was interpreted by someone (either a ramper, gate agent, or passenger, I never found out) as "complaining about not getting enough sleep". Whoever this was then felt the need to forward their interpretation to my chief pilot. Keep in mind, that at no point did I elaborate more than what I said above (and in retrospect that was already waaaaay too much). This was about 9 months after Colgan 3407, but I don't know if that played a factor in whoever fabricated their story deciding to do so.

From that point forward, I have taken the Jeniffer Aniston - "Office Space" approach to PA's. Mine were already short, but after that I didn't ever pick up the mic unless I absolutely had to (whatever the FOM said was required, didn't care what a flight attendant wanted me to do). And oh yeah, it also motivated to seek other employment ASAP, which I was thankfully successful in doing a short time later.

Anything you say can and will be used against you.

"Welcome aboard flight XXXX to Megahub XXXX. We apologize for our delay this morning; we were delayed into Memphis last night due to weather and were required to rest for 8 hours prior to this flight, but we'll get you to Megahub as quickly as possible. Our flight time is 2 hours, thank you."

Maybe you were just upset not to get a standing ovation for finally showing up to work that day.

Did the FA get called to the carpet for blaming your alarm clock for the delay?

Exactly. A few years ago I was flying with a real nervous captain. The CFR crew was doing a fire drill and on a three mile final, he wanted me to do a PA about the smoke and fire so the passengers wouldn't be concerned

Aroo?!

I ignored him and when we go on the ground I told him that there was no way I was going to tell a plane load full of Danish about a "fire drill" do they can mis hear me and think that we're on fire and do an un-commanded evacuation of the aircraft.

It just wasn't going to happen.

"I commanded you..."

"LOL. Hey man, it's been real. My PHX flight is at 1800 so ah'mo cruise when there's a hole."

Thats one "Pre-emption" that would do far more harm than good. If, after landing, someone asks about what the smoke was while they're deplaning....then sure, tell them. But absolutely no need to pre-empt that one; regardless of good intentions.

My take:

She did a nice, sweet thing and she was wrong for it.

Because here's the thing - while she had the best of intentions, she failed to realize that language like that, to some sets of ears, is superior and off-putting to some people. The relationship between the pax and the airline is one of commerce, and social protocols for this are pretty well understood. Stretching or breaching them in such a personal way makes people uncomfortable; presuming a degree of intimacy between pax and FA or airline that simply does not exist.

Sure, she may not have been speaking for the airline, but the pax does not make a distinction between the FA and the airline. Making passengers distinctly uncomfortable; even potentially, is not the job of the airline. She picked a bad venue.

Maybe you were just upset not to get a standing ovation for finally showing up to work that day.

Did the FA get called to the carpet for blaming your alarm clock for the delay?

I'm guessing you meant "the gate agent" in your question, but no, I doubt it. Not that it matters, the sub-sub contracted ground staff at that airport probably has a 12 week turnover rate anyway (no offense to our good friend Kellwolf who once worked there).

Back to the original topic, we had a flight attendant similar to this at Brand X as well, but a little more toned down about it. She'd always come up to the flight deck and start asking us about "our relationship with god" between boardings. Then she'd tell us we should start going to church every Sunday and reading the Bible more, yadda yadda. I just kind of stared out the window and nodded.

I look at PA announcements in the same way as I look at low-level military flybys for sports games, etc:

At BEST, you break even. Often, you lose. In the end, they're just not worth it.

Can you explain this from "the military" perspective? Why is a low-level overfly a "break even"? You lose how?

My take:

She did a nice, sweet thing and she was wrong for it.

Because here's the thing - while she had the best of intentions, she failed to realize that language like that, to some sets of ears, is superior and off-putting to some people. The relationship between the pax and the airline is one of commerce, and social protocols for this are pretty well understood. Stretching or breaching them in such a personal way makes people uncomfortable; presuming a degree of intimacy between pax and FA or airline that simply does not exist.

Sure, she may not have been speaking for the airline, but the pax does not make a distinction between the FA and the airline. Making passengers distinctly uncomfortable; even potentially, is not the job of the airline. She picked a bad venue.

This.

What she said wasn't "bad"....

BUT

She shouldn't say those things over the PA to the entire planeload of people. Now, let's say an individual pax was scared or in need of some personal comforting, those words spoken to an individual, individually, would be far more appropriate IF the pax was open to hearing it and found the words comforting.

A F/A can be friendly & remain professional without crossing the line into uncomfortableness that she did here.

I gotta say... I'm a Christian, and even I would have been uncomfortable had that occurred on my flight. Obvious FA is obvious. Give me the safety speech, toss in a funny joke if you must, but otherwise... let me concentrate on trying to keep Mr. Blubber next to me here from spreading into my space even more.

I'm CHQ ORD based, and I fly with her and see her in the crew room on a pretty regular basis. What you all heard on this measly 2 minute recording is NOTHING.

What, and miss out on the opportunity to fly on our ravaged E-140's that get 15 cycles a day and don't leave 150nm radius of ORD?

Fly on it? I'm usually the one collecting the voucher as the crew times out at 1am on 5028 :)

Though 23 min beats a 3 hour drive, I've done the drive plenty to catch the second segment at ORD when they were long delayed into GRR.

Good to see another Saluki :)

Back