Flight Attendant uses Aircraft PA for a 'spiritual moment'

For those people who were asking me on a different thread what I thought would justify swift and severe discipline of an employee: this incident is a perfect example.

THAT'S why it made the news? I thought more highly of you. ;)

The news loves these things! Along with Bird strikes and Senators looking for Sex in bathrooms :)

But as opposed to a store, or street corner, you have 50+ people forced to listen. Chances are you'll get one that's peeved enough to complain loudly.

Agree it shouldn't be newsworthy!

She said nothing to identify a God, did she? There was nothing that made it religious.

You may have a more involved experience with this co-worker. For someone on the outside, looking in, this particular event is a non-event. If two believers feel compelled to pray in public that is their RIGHT. Legitimate, unalienable right. If you don't like it, walk away.

If our country is founded on certain rights, these rights apply to all who are here legally. And even, in the opinion of our Government, illegally. I took an oath to support that document, and whether I agree with someone, or not, doesn't remove that right. Peaceful assembly, or religious freedom. Pick one.

We can argue all day, that she was/wasn't in a public setting...but REMEMBER, me criticizing someone is under the 1st amendment...it just means that no one can stop her from saying it.

Just as no one can stop me from calling her a nutjob...so please tell me how I'm infringing on her rights????

For those people who were asking me on a different thread what I thought would justify swift and severe discipline of an employee: this incident is a perfect example.

Explain why, please. No snark, no sarcasm on my part. Honestly. Would like your take.

We can argue all day, that she was/wasn't in a public setting...but REMEMBER, me criticizing someone is under the 1st amendment...it just means that no one can stop her from saying it.

Just as no one can stop me from calling her a nutjob...so please tell me how I'm infringing on her rights????

I tied in what I responded to you with @Crism's post. Sorry I didn't break it up effectively to communicate that. My bad.

Explain why, please. No snark, no sarcasm on my part. Honestly. Would like your take.

It is a complete lack of professionalism. The PA is not her personal tool to be used to express her feelings or beliefs. It is not a way for her to proselytize, even if that proselytizing is vague and non-denominational. The PA is a tool to be used for official announcements and safety purposes. Fifty people sealed in a metal tube after paying a great deal of money to get from point A to point B should not have to be subjected to whatever her thoughts and beliefs are.

Thirty day suspension. Minimum.

It is a complete lack of professionalism. The PA is not her personal tool to be used to express her feelings or beliefs. It is not a way for her to proselytize, even if that proselytizing is vague and non-denominational. The PA is a tool to be used for official announcements and safety purposes. Fifty people sealed in a metal tube after paying a great deal of money to get from point A to point B should not have to be subjected to whatever her thoughts and beliefs are.

Concur. Carpet dance for you, ma'am.

I dream of one day making a PA free airline. Free of; credit card sales, reading off about how much your valued, where baggage can be picked up, enjoy wherever your travels take you, sitting back and relaxing, what direction the wind is, if there is anything else we can do to make your flight more enjoyable ............Its not radio, and dead air is GREAT!

Me trying to sleep during a flight after a really long rotation.

Slight tremble from light chop.

DING!

why.jpg
"AAAAHHHHHHH, LADIES AND GENTS. FROM THE AHHHHH FLIGHT DECK. THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING. WE HAVE TURNED ON THE SEAT BELT SIGN. PLEASE BE SURE TO SIT DOWN AND TIGHTEN YOUR BELTS. AAAHHHHHH, IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO ALWAYS REMAIN SEATED EVEN WHEN THE SEAT BELT SIGN IS NOT ILLUMINATED AS UNEXPECTED AHHHHHHH.... TURBULENCE CAN OCCUR.

Me trying to get back to sleep.

"LADIES AND GENTS. THAT WAS THE CAPTAIN. HE HAS TURNED ON THE SEAT BELT SIGN.
you dont say.png
PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR SEATS WITH YOUR BELTS LOW AND TIGHT ACROSS YOUR LAP. AS ALWAYS IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO COMPLY WITH CREW MEMBER INSTRUCTIONS. ALSO IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMAIN IN YOUR SEATS EVEN WHEN THE SEAT BELT SIGN HAS NOT BEEN ILLUMINATED. AS UNEXPECTED TURBULENCE CAN OCCUR.

Me almost getting back to sleep.

DING!

why.jpg

AAAAHHHHH FROM THE FLIGHT DECK. THIS IS YOUR AHHHHHHHH CAPTAIN SPEAKING. LOOKS LIKE OUR RIDE HAS AAAHHHHH SMOOTHED OUT A LITTLE. WE HAVE TURNED OFF THE SEAT BELT SIGN.

you dont say.png

AND WE EXPECT THE RIDE TO BE SMOOTH AAHHH AT LEAST FOR NEXT 100 MILES OR SO.

Me trying to get back to sleep

LADIES AND GENTS.

FUUU.png

THE CAPTAIN HAS TURNED OFF THE SEAT BELT SIGN. AS ALWAYS IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMAIN SEATED WITH YOUR BELTS LOW AND TIGHT ACROSS YOUR LAP AS UNEXPECTED TURBULENCE CAN OCCUR.

Me finally getting some sleep.

Slight tremble from light chop.

why.jpg

Uh huh. Keep in mind that this is the same company in which the CEO goes on national tv and does essentially the same thing. He also uses every official office communication as a podium to preach his beliefs. He'll probably bring back the coveted "Circle of Stars" award to give to this chick.

How was she unprofessional? Who was she trying to convert, and to what religion or belief? I take it you've never made a joke over the PA?

She's a bit too energetic for me (I bet it was a 5am departure), but I don't see what she did wrong. Most of the pax seemed to appreciate it. I'd rather have her than the grouchy one who's screaming that the bag won't fit in the overhead.

I take it you've never made a joke over the PA?

Nope. I make the necessary announcement and get off the PA as quickly as possible. The business pax don't want to hear that crap. They want to be left in peace to get that two hour nap that may be the only sleep they get for 24 hours because of some meetings, or they want to get some work done on their laptop without being bothered, etc. My company turns a profit because of business travelers. I do everything I can to accomodate them. The immature leisure travelers who fly once every three years who get a kick out of this nonsense aren't my target audience. They'll buy a ticket just because it's cheap. The business traveler is a little more discerning.

Back