Finally passed my written

pilotmike327

Holy cow I'm beyond happy right now!!!!! I passed the written test yesterday. I failed it about a year ago (missed it by 1 point!). I ended up finishing my degree and kind of forgot about it. I decided to take a crack at it yesterday and BOOM...70. I know I know, barely squeaked by. The biggest problem I had with that test was the charts and the fact that the answer choices were a) 67.3 b) 67.4 or c) 67.7.

Now that it's out of the way, I've started to review my old notes and surprisingly enough remember a lot of it! I know the practical wont be a walk in the park, but I feel like I'll be able to do it just because this was the stuff I had studied and enjoyed.

Congrats. You either pass or fail, being close only counts in horseshoes, handgranedes and atomic bombs.

Took me about 1 hour for the practical and about 1.5 hrs for the oral. Didn't get back to my hotel until almost 9pm...

Thanks for the recommendation jose1337...at 6400 pages, this is going to take a lot of studying to get through!

Is it true that the time it takes to complete the oral depends on how well you are doing? I've definitely heard that before.

JakeH said:
Is it true that the time it takes to complete the oral depends on how well you are doing? I've definitely heard that before.

Yes and no... Depends on the examiner. I feel that if your oral is over in an hour or less, you have a lazy examiner and are getting shortchanged. IMO... ;-)

But if you are struggling your way through every step, it can definitely get dragged out for some time. That's an examiner doing his job though...making sure you have an understanding of the areas listed in the PTS.

My oral was quite long and I wasn't struggling along the way. I just had an examiner who dug deep and touched on a wide array of subjects. He did a great job and I was grateful for his approach. And in the end, I learned some stuff too.

The DPEs can usually pick up on if a person is good sort of quickly.

Did my flight plan in about 35 minutes (I had made some edits to the stock AGS navlog to fit an electronic EFB), then had to wait for about two hours, while the other guy got a grilling in his oral, and then passed mine after about a 45 minute oral myself.

Just be ready and it will go quicker. Good luck!

Back