FEDEX Flt 80 MD-11 Crash

Re: FEDEX MD-11 Crash

Man I cant believe this. I was JUST in a FedEx MD-11 cockpit, jumpseating on the commute home the other day.

This has been a crazy few months in aviation.............RIP

Geez, this makes me feel horrible. It sounds like they perished. My thoughts and prayers to the family. :(

In looking at this, you'd think that the airplane could have landed straight ahead with damage; but what I want to know is what brought the wing up? Was it a control input or a gust that took the thing over? Or it stalled while bouncing and thus dropped a wing? That seems like more of a long shot idea.

I couldn't see it well, but it almost look to me as if the left main bogie collapsed on the second bounce and it just rolled to the left.
I didn't know the MD 11 was a 2 man crew, I thought it had a FE.
Anyway very sad.

I couldn't see it well, but it almost look to me as if the left main bogie collapsed on the second bounce and it just rolled to the left.
Anyway very sad.

I thought I saw that with the left main as well.

DC-10 / 3 crew
MD-11 / 2 crew
MD-10 / 2 crew

Stupid Question: Does the NTSB investigate this since its a US airline, even thought it happened in Japan???

Stupid Question: Does the NTSB investigate this since its a US airline, even thought it happened in Japan???

NTSB will investigate in party with the Japan Transport CAB, or whichever investigating body they have. NTSB has the resources, and being a US civil aircraft, they will be invited by the host nation.

Anyway very sad.

Yup.
DC-10 = CA, FO, FE
MD-10/MD-11 = CA, FO

The only reason I know is from the view of the many jumpseat rides.

NTSB will investigate in party with the Japan Transport CAB, or whichever investigating body they have. NTSB has the resources, and being a US civil aircraft, they will be invited by the host nation.

Thanks!

This is just tragic. Other boards are speculating a bit more on the details. Kudos to everyone at JC for keeping it to the facts until we know more.

In my travels on FedEx, I've asked MD-11 crews about differences in the MD-10 and MD-11. They've all said how the MD-11 is so much touchier in pitch than the 10. Said it had a smaller horizontal stab.

The NTSB will have a hand in it because it was a US Registered aircraft, owned by a US company and made in the US. However, the Japanese will be the investigating authorities.

Oops! Mike D. beat me to it.

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

March 22, 2009

NTSB SENDING INVESTIGATORS TO JAPAN
TO ASSIST IN FEDEX MD-11 CRASH

The National Transportation Safety Board is sending a team
of investigators to Japan to assist in the investigation of
the crash of a FedEx MD-11 at Narita International Airport.

Early Monday morning, March 23, local time, a FedEx MD-11
(registration unknown) cargo aircraft arriving from China
crashed on landing at Narita International Airport. The
aircraft burned after coming to rest; the fate of the crew
has not been officially reported.

NTSB Acting Chairman Mark V. Rosenker has designated Senior
Air Safety Investigator John Lovell as the United States
Accredited Representative. He will be joined by two other
NTSB investigators and representatives from the Federal
Aviation Administration, Boeing Aircraft and the Air Line
Pilots Association.

Information on the progress of the investigation will be
released by Japanese authorities.

The NTSB will have a hand in it because it was a US Registered aircraft, owned by a US company and made in the US. However, the Japanese will be the investigating authorities.

Oops! Mike D. beat me to it.

Absolutely, right. Interesting thing is, the host nation doesn't have to invite NTSB as a party, however this is seemingly always done as a courtesy, and due to the resources NTSB has at their disposal.

I just saw this reply on a youtube video of the crash:

I have 3100 hrs on MD-11's. This situation was demonstrated in the Sim.
The landing seemed normal except the nose came down too fast.
The reversers are popped as soon as the mains touch. #2 reverser causes the nose to pitch up slightly, the spoilers open (which cause a really big pitch up) at the same time that someone pulls back to stop the nose hitting. The aircraft is airborne...but the reversers are deployed..can't go around. Stuff the nose over and try to salvage the landing.
Sad. RIP

I hope this isn't just a case of the nose coming down too fast. I've hammered the nose on the EMB-145 into the ground a few times, but I never thought that it'd result in this. Some nose gear damage in the worst case situation, or maybe bending a bulkhead, but not this.

I've been working with a 12,000 hour DC-10 pilot. I wonder what he will say about this tommorrow. I'll certainly be asking.

Sad though...RIP:(

I guess I never got the memo about an md-11 crash. Unbelieveable stuff.

r.i.p.

stay sharp

Back