Envoy Hiring

I used to want to goto 60. Now I'm thinking 50. Maybe 55 if I can't keep the boat addiction down but that finally 5 years better just be a few days a month.
Seeing the guys going out early vs the 65 year olds is very telling.
I’m shooting for 60. If I can keep the first wife and rent instead of buying the other Fs I’ll be good. It kills me seeing the dudes who are close to 65 and looking for Part 135 gigs. Haven’t you had an ass full of this industry buy that point?

Last edited:
If you’re not putting a healthy chunk of your income into retirement every year, starting at least by the time you’re thirty, you’re doing it wrong. It needs to be an automatic deduction so you aren’t continuously faced with the short-term problem versus long-term end game dilemma. Commit, then forget it. Pay your future self first, then go have fun.

I‘ve never come close to making major air carrier money, yet we’ve got enough stashed away in retirement accounts that I could retire right now (my lovely wife retired last year), withdraw at a monthly dollar rate higher than I’ve ever earned in my life, and our retirement balance will still grow (on average) faster than I take it out. House, cars, other stuff are all paid for...

...eh...that’s enough “advice from the old guy” for tonight.

I’m shooting for 60. If I can keep the first wife and rent instead of buying the other Fs I’ll be good. It kills me seeing the dudes who are close to 65 and looking for Part 135 gigs. Haven’t you had an ass full of this industry buy that point?
You’ve got to remember a lot of ‘em (though, at this point, a decreasing number, I suppose—most of that transpired 1 to 2 decades ago) had their pensions put in the shredder by the bastards they worked for.

Watching THAT happen to the old man is one of the reasons I am the way I am about my retirement contributions. I’ve been a financial dumpster fire otherwise (“Oooh! shiny things! Computers! Cars! Good meals! Good booze!”) but the retirement side of the house has always been reasonably well-funded, even when I “couldn’t afford it.”

It needs to be an automatic deduction so you aren’t continuously faced with the short-term problem versus long-term end game dilemma.
Very much this. It sucked at Mormon Air to have basically every raise as a Captain beyond the initial one go into the 401(k), but if you’re in the habit you don’t miss it terribly much anyway.

And again, if you don’t at least max out a match if offered…well, you’re just lighting money ablaze and not even getting a thrill to show for it.

House, cars, other stuff are all paid for...
“Okay, boomer.” ;)

Yeah...so?

1623466259764.png

If you’re not putting a healthy chunk of your income into retirement every year, starting at least by the time you’re thirty, you’re doing it wrong. It needs to be an automatic deduction so you aren’t continuously faced with the short-term problem versus long-term end game dilemma. Commit, then forget it. Pay your future self first, then go have fun.

I‘ve never come close to making major air carrier money, yet we’ve got enough stashed away in retirement accounts that I could retire right now (my lovely wife retired last year), withdraw at a monthly dollar rate higher than I’ve ever earned in my life, and our retirement balance will still grow (on average) faster than I take it out. House, cars, other stuff are all paid for...

...eh...that’s enough “advice from the old guy” for tonight.

It’s solid advice tho, I appreciate it

Yeah wish someone told me that advice. I didn't start maxing my retirement out until I was in my 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but I agree with him. However like CC, he makes his point so poorly that it gets lost in the noise.

Leaving Mesa for Spirit is a good idea. Leaving Envoy for Spirit might pay off, but long term I would stay and plan on flowing to AA.

Finally. Someone gets it. Yup, why would you take a chance on an outfit that has 150 aircraft or less and has low pay PLUS the chance of it all falling apart. AA has huge cash reserves and to put it bluntly, they ain't goin' nowhere.

Back