Envoy Hiring

Don't forget to look at all the retirement money on the table. I should be able to retire early just by going to the zoo.

I need to start my retirement savings. Told myself this year would be the year, a little behind and with my company’s joke of a retirement.. I’ll be running checklists until 65 for sure, if the health can hold up lol

I need to start my retirement savings. Told myself this year would be the year, a little behind and with my company’s joke of a retirement.. I’ll be running checklists until 65 for sure, if the health can hold up lol

Increase the long haul stuff and you don’t need to worry about it as much. The wife doesn’t like the joke I make about the 401K being just for her.

I need to start my retirement savings.
At least always put in as much as they'll match...you're just leaving hard-won compensation gains on the table if you don't do that much. And a little bit adds up to a lot, even if the paltry Mormon retirement has been completely blown away by this place's DCs.

Increase the long haul stuff and you don’t need to worry about it as much. The wife doesn’t like the joke I make about the 401K being just for her.
Average age of a retiree is...ooh, uh, that's awkward.

At least always put in as much as they'll match...you're just leaving hard-won compensation gains on the table if you don't do that much. And a little bit adds up to a lot, even if the paltry Mormon retirement has been completely blown away by this place's DCs.

I hate how Schwab doesn’t take the company contributions into account for the retirement calculator. I was still getting the “lol you’re gonna be poor” flag because it wasn’t accounting for a huge amount of money.

Yup that is the plan. 6% is all I’m doing starting July. Only 32 years left to build on that lol

I hate how Schwab doesn’t take the company contributions into account for the retirement calculator. I was still getting the “lol you’re gonna be poor” flag because it wasn’t accounting for a huge amount of money.
Now that I'm PCRA/managed by someone else (yes, I'm one of THOSE people) I don't even think I get to see the "hey you're gonna be poor" thing.

Yup that is the plan. 6% is all I’m doing starting July. Only 32 years left to build on that lol
I can't remember what the (admittedly, pretty good for an RJ outfit) 401(k) was at old-job, but please tell me you didn't leave that money on the table. Assuming you were eligible for contributions, which I think you were after 90 days(?), but I've long since forgotten when pilot 401(k) eligibility was.

I can't remember what the (admittedly, pretty good for an RJ outfit) 401(k) was at old-job, but please tell me you didn't leave that money on the table. Assuming you were eligible for contributions, which I think you were after 90 days(?), but I've long since forgotten when pilot 401(k) eligibility was.

I did uh.. 1% over at Eskimo Lite

Pretty sure my Vanguard account couldn’t cover a clutch job on a car right now. Sad sad sad

I know, not good. Never claimed to be smart :/

I didn’t even put that much aside at my first two gigs, granted at SeaPort it didn’t really matter since they didn’t match IIRC.

I recently googled what the average 33 y/o has contributed to retirement, about a years worth. Welp

Last edited:
I know, not good. Never claimed to be smart :/

I didn’t even put that much aside at my first two gigs, granted at SeaPort it didn’t really matter since they didn’t match IIRC.
Eh, it's still something that's going to grow faster than just throwing money in a savings account, but at a place like that I kind of get it. I always at least maxed out the match when I was an FO, but I never was really able to save money until I upgraded.

Any place that gives you > = 15% DC (and all of the majors/lcc carriers are going to be 15% or greater by the end of this upcoming bargaining cycle), and pays more than $250/hr is going to start running into 415c or 401a caps. Obviously people tend to expand their spending to keep up with their earnings, but anybody getting to the Big(ish) Show with at least 15 to 20 years to go, should be just fine.

Any place that gives you > = 15% DC (and all of the majors/lcc carriers are going to be 15% or greater by the end of this upcoming bargaining cycle), and pays more than $250/hr is going to start running into 415c or 401a caps. Obviously people tend to expand their spending to keep up with their earnings, but anybody getting to the Big(ish) Show with at least 15 to 20 years to go, should be just fine.

Yeah, especially if you use things like HSA. I know a lot of guys who aren't maxing it out for some reason.

Back