Enough is enough. Just stop. Guard.

Ok ladies and gentlemen,

Enough is enough. For years we have listened to the escalating sophomoric chatter on guard. It is only getting worse. We are a captive audience, forced to listen to this garbage. Worse yet, ATC is listening as well. At the very least these childish back and fourths block the frequency for someone who might really need it. They prevent it from being used to locate aircraft who have missed a handoff. But I think most importantly, it is an unprofessional distraction that paints us - all of us - in a bad light.

I would like to call upon all of you, Captains and First Officers alike to do something simple. If your flying partner is screwing around on guard, tell them to knock it off. It's childish. It isn't funny. We can joke around all we want in the cockpit, but transmitting our amateur comedy for the world to hear is destructive.

If someone mistakenly calls ops on guard. Just let it go. Nobody needs to have a hair trigger to correct them. They will figure it out when they don't get a response. But just as bad as those that are spring loaded to shout "guard" are the copycat comedians that have to chime in too, ultimately ending in some stupid crack about Delta or "Dad".

Grow up. And demand the same level of maturity from those you fly with. If you agree, copy and share this post to your social media. Hopefully we can put an end to this practice.

/rant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blast this on DeltaNet. Then you'll get somewhere.

ZING!

#troll
#talldougisgoingtoloseit
#CptnChianotgonnalikeit

Jokes aside, for those saying deselect radio 2 guard, some airline's actual policy and SOP is to put guard up on #2 as part of the going through 10,000 feet items.

The guard stuff is pretty annoying and I was surprised at the fact that the first time I ever sat next to someone who joined into the nonsense was at a "mainline" carrier.

In fact, the guy was pretty much the furthest opposite of the perceived stereotypical RJ guard clown that you could possibly get, in every way.

So, just when you think you've narrowed it down to RJ kids, think again!

Last edited:
Fortunately I never flew with someone who would play on guard, I flew with a few guard policemen but that's it. It's a frequency with a purpose, and unless I have a purpose for talking on it I ain't gonna.

I agree with Zap Bran in full, but at the end of the day this thread is like pi$$ing into a 50 kt headwind and won't change the amateurish behavior of the ones who are constantly transmitting nonsense on guard....

I'm at a regional and I've never flown with anyone that screwed around on guard. I've never ridden in an ASA jumpseat to know if the accusation is true. There are folks with the brain of a annoying teenager at mainline also, but I usually turn guard off. It's been too many times where I've missed a radio call because some dumb*** is ranting on about nothing, or arguing with someone because they told a "your momma" joke on the frequency that offended someone.

Ok ladies and gentlemen,

Worse yet, ATC is listening as well. At the very least these childish back and fourths block the frequency for someone who might really need it.

I wonder how many of these guard back and forths are started by bored air traffic controllers who don't have much traffic in their sectors.... I don't think it's only pilots doing it. It literally could be anyone with an adequately equipped radio.

I wonder how many of these guard back and forths are started by bored air traffic controllers who don't have much traffic in their sectors.... I don't think it's only pilots doing it. It literally could be anyone with an adequately equipped radio.

Doubt it. Easily traced to a controller. Not so much to bored pilots.

I think it's generational. The same kids who can't stay off social media for more than 30 seconds need someone to pay attention to them at all times. Just a prejudicial hunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly have never flown with anyone who has done this, and this includes my time at a regional, ULCC, and a legacy. Once in awhile I'll fly with someone who chuckles at something but 99% do what I do, and quietly deselect radio 2 and continue about our day. It obviously is a very small percentage acting like children, but damn, it is annoying.

I only really get annoyed when someone who is generally is distress is trying to get help through guard and some jack wagon is yelling "yer on guaaarrrd". Well no crap. That's what it is intended for!

Blast this on DeltaNet. Then you'll get somewhere.

ZING!

#troll
#talldougisgoingtoloseit
#CptnChianotgonnalikeit

Jokes aside, for those saying deselect radio 2 guard, some airline's actual policy and SOP is to put guard up on #2 as part of the going through 10,000 feet items.

Eww, I knew I smelled "Inferiority Complex"! I DID!

Kind of smells like Nuoc Cham or fish sauce.

Thanks a lot LEGO(R) pilots..

4ec0fd90e8182d409ad2afe4e265022a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Zap Bran in full, but at the end of the day this thread is like pi$$ing into a 50 kt headwind and won't change the amateurish behavior of the ones who are constantly transmitting nonsense on guard....

I disagree. Ever toured a Center or TRACON? Most sectors have more than one radio site on their audio panel. All they would have to do is bring DF Steers back, and that would change the culture reeeal quick. FCC fines tend to start off in the tens of thousands.

Nobody is anonymous. ;)

Eww, I knew I smelled "Inferiority Complex"! I DID!

Kind of smells like Nuoc Cham or fish sauce.

It's not just Delta pilots that have DeltaNet, pretty much anyone flying a DCI regional has access. So who knows, blast it on there it might actually make a difference. I hardly hear guard shenanigans on the west coast which is where my apparently inferior airline is. Pretty much Chicago and eastward it just gets bad.

My big pet peeve on guard shenanigans is when a guy calls ops on guard and requests (for example) a meet and assist for a disabled passenger. And some schmuck responds "copy that, see ya on the ground!"

Now the problem is this crew is landing at the airport and ops does not know about this new request, but the pilots think it was acknowledged.

It's not just Delta pilots that have DeltaNet, pretty much anyone flying a DCI regional has access. So who knows, blast it on there it might actually make a difference. I hardly hear guard shenanigans on the west coast which is where my apparently inferior airline is. Pretty much Chicago and eastward it just gets bad.

If they can post a memo about not listing/checking in for multiple flights while flying nonrev...certainly they could post something about Guard. Lol
(I still don't understand listing for multiple flights when it doesn't go by time of check in anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back