Enough is enough. Just stop. Guard.

If they can post a memo about not listing/checking in for multiple flights while flying nonrev...certainly they could post something about Guard. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES. This. And do the same for United. Ticks me off trying to ZED nonrev family members and see the same last three initials / first initial on multiple flights through the day for the same city pairs.

Then they get on the first flight, you think they take their names off the rest? Nope. And then I get to hear their names get called for the later flights. Grrrrrrrrrr

Doubt it. Easily traced to a controller. Not so much to bored pilots.

I think it's generational. The same kids who can't stay off social media for more than 30 seconds need someone to pay attention to them at all times. Just a prejudicial hunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you area grumpy old bastard who doesn't like the kids walking across your lawn.:)

But really... The guys I heard screwing around on guard that worked at the same shop I did, (and this was by voice only because if they were sitting 3 feet to my left I would have said something) were all born prior to 1975. Also, one of the two times I've been on a jumpseat and watched a guy make a smart ass remark on guard occurred at your shop, and from the left seat. The other time was at United and was an FO, but he was pretty damn close to retirement too.

Anytime I fly over the mainland US, I mute com 2. Cannot stand the lack of professionalism and jackassery.

Coasting in (or even transitioning from Edmonton to MSP center)-
Contact center on xxx.xx.
CPDLC terminated
Com 2 - mute.

It's more or less a checklist.

Smooth and quiet over the tracks, silent over Canada but once you hit the CONUS, it sounds like Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Man I'd strangle my copilot.

I believe I've flown with a captain that gave a "meow" over guard once or twice on a quiet night. Not really funny but whatever I guess.

I have laughed at a couple things I've heard over guard though

I know, I'm part of the problem

And two FOs, who I told I'd break their finger if they pulled that crap again.
broken-finger_o_1064627.jpg

#Cptnichia's-FO

I wonder how many of these guard back and forths are started by bored air traffic controllers who don't have much traffic in their sectors.... I don't think it's only pilots doing it. It literally could be anyone with an adequately equipped radio.

Im at a Center and the majority of our sectors are monitoring Guard, and constantly having to de select it off the Loudspeaker because of people screwing around on it. It gets really annoying trying to work traffic and hearing "GUARRRRRRRRD" and " Work Work Work Work Work" by people that think they're funny.

I would say for us its bad, because were so used to just ignoring whoever is calling on Guard because its some idiot messing around, that we don't necessarily pay it our full attention. I use it all the time to get guys that have gone NORDO, and have heard it being used for a legitimate emergency twice, and both times the guy in trouble was getting interrupted by people alternating between yelling GUARRRRRRD and someone else yelling HEY HES AN ACUTAL EMERGENCY SHUT UP.

I don't know any Controller at least in my facility that would mess around on Guard because we're slow....we have other stuff to do for entertainment besides tie up an emergency freq.

Im at a Center and the majority of our sectors are monitoring Guard, and constantly having to de select it off the Loudspeaker because of people screwing around on it. It gets really annoying trying to work traffic and hearing "GUARRRRRRRRD" and " Work Work Work Work Work" by people that think they're funny.

I would say for us its bad, because were so used to just ignoring whoever is calling on Guard because its some idiot messing around, that we don't necessarily pay it our full attention. I use it all the time to get guys that have gone NORDO, and have heard it being used for a legitimate emergency twice, and both times the guy in trouble was getting interrupted by people alternating between yelling GUARRRRRRD and someone else yelling HEY HES AN ACUTAL EMERGENCY SHUT UP.

I don't know any Controller at least in my facility that would mess around on Guard because we're slow....we have other stuff to do for entertainment besides tie up an emergency freq.

Damn, that's really sad.

Man I'd strangle my copilot.

It's never the copilot

Edit: You can tell because it keeps happening. If those were FOs saying "Delta...........suuuucks" on 121.5 the captain would tell them to stop. If the captain is the one saying it the FO is more likely to just pretend to think it's funny or ignore it. So it keeps going on.

Seeing more and more airports with this NOTAM:

- EMERG FREQ 121.5 NOT AVBL AT ATCT.

So that exonerates them.....

I just want to check—you guard nazis DO realize that 98% of the time you're being trolled... right?

-Fox

Only times in 20 years of airline flying I witnessed asshattery was at ASA. Two captains, who I asked, "How old are you?" And two FOs, who I told I'd break their finger if they pulled that crap again.

Who do you think is doing it? All I know is I don't hear it where certain regionals and LCCs don't fly.
A little bit of elitism in that statement...

I'm currently flying in the middle East and both guard freqs are extremely quiet, which is nice because I'm listening to 4 radios and coordinating a multitude of poop. Having an asshat chat on guard would cause me to lose my poop.

I'm about to push and fly across 2/3rds of the country so I guess this is your chance to get me back for starting this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it will take some guy getting killed because he couldn't get the help he needed on guard for things to change or for the FCC to step in and do something.

A little bit of elitism in that statement...
Whenever I see someone say "you would never see this from a mainline pilot" or "this would have never happened at mainline" or ANY variation there of, I know right away that's someone I should not take seriously. It's sad, really. I'm sure a lot of people that do that are really ok people with good information, I just don't care anymore. Their preconceived bias and elitism really kind of wastes their flavor.

Whenever I see someone say "you would never see this from a mainline pilot" or "this would have never happened at mainline" or ANY variation there of, I know right away that's someone I should not take seriously. It's sad, really. I'm sure a lot of people that do that are really ok people with good information, I just don't care anymore. Their preconceived bias and elitism really kind of wastes their flavor.

How is it elitism? If it's only happening in one area of the world, logic dictates that carriers that only operate in that geographical area are causing the issue. If it was a mainline global carrier, wouldn't it be happening everywhere they fly?

How is it elitism? If it's only happening in one area of the world, logic dictates that carriers that only operate in that geographical area are causing the issue. If it was a mainline global carrier, wouldn't it be happening everywhere they fly?

If you guys wanna talk mainline global carriers, I've got some ammo. US passenger carriers radio phraseology overseas is absolutely embarrassing 90% of the time.

I don't know, man. I really don't. Hell, even within the places we regional kids play it's not consistent. Out on the west coast there is just as much of a regional presence as there is in the rest of the country and it's not nearly as prevalent here. Can you explain that? Honestly, I think you are assigning a causation to a correlation. As often is the case, one does not apply to the other.

I think you might be suffering some confirmation bias.

Back