Enough is enough. Just stop. Guard.

I had some d-bag on 121.5 grumbling about Eagle pilots flying RJs for "$8 an hour" about six years ago.

Presumably, that was not an RJ pilot.

Riiiiight ....... regional pilots are rarely known to grumble about what other regional pilots are willing to work for.

I heard someone grumbling about "Delta... Conection" pilots messing around on guard a few days ago, on guard. That presumably was not an RJ pilot.

It was a jealous EMS helicopter pilot with SJS but no fixed wing time.. :)

An XJT guy I know on Facebook just left XJT... as one of his shout outs, it was to a couple captains who "taught him the ways of messing around on guard."

I've always maintained it's mostly XJT over here in the states.

Btw, he's all yours now @Alchemy and @Screaming_Emu ;)

At least most here will never have to hear him as domestic flying us rare...unless he gets the 767

On the domestic side he will have too many company radio calls to mess around on guard. Make your company departure message. Now your other other company departure message. Now call san francisco for your other other other departure message. Don't forget the selcal check. Now listen to the 19 minute long ORD ATIS with speech impaired robo voice. Oh now could you go ahead and fill out that 79 column logbook designed for a flight from ANC to TPE on the "classic" during this 27 minute leg. K THX.

Of course, half of that will end up being broadcast on guard for the first few weeks.

On the domestic side he will have too many company radio calls to mess around on guard. Make your company departure message. Now your other other company departure message. Now call san francisco for your other other other departure message. Don't forget the selcal check. Now listen to the 19 minute long ORD ATIS with speech impaired robo voice. Oh now could you go ahead and fill out that 79 column logbook designed for a flight from ANC to TPE on the "classic" during this 27 minute leg. K THX.

Of course, half of that will end up being broadcast on guard for the first few weeks.

I think I'll keep my bunk and coffee maker.

That almost sounds like work. When do you have time to change and cook your meal?

The worse people on guard are the ones who will respond to ops calls as ops.

Coming into Newark a couple of weeks ago, we were about 45min early so I was calling ops to check on the gate. I failed to notice I didn't switch the radio over and of course some jackass responded directly to me... so of course I answered back, then I started hearing the "yer on gaurrrdddd" "gaurdddd".

It's definitely predominantly a NE corridor stretching down to the Carolinas thing. Been flying that area for two weeks straight and almost every flight I have either detuned or turned down the #2. Pittsburgh and west and it starts to get considerably quieter.

Coming into Newark a couple of weeks ago, we were about 45min early so I was calling ops to check on the gate. I failed to notice I didn't switch the radio over and of course some jackass responded directly to me... so of course I answered back, then I started hearing the "yer on gaurrrdddd" "gaurdddd".

It's definitely predominantly a NE corridor stretching down to the Carolinas thing. Been flying that area for two weeks straight and almost every flight I have either detuned or turned down the #2. Pittsburgh and west and it starts to get considerably quieter.

For the reason that you specified in your post, any time that we call ramp/ops and do not hear standard phraseology in response, (e.g.: "XXXXX 5295, enter east line, cleared all the way to L2A"), we ought to suspect that we transmitted on guard.

Still having trouble flipping switches eh?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Secondly, nope. By the time they get to the majors most guys have wives and kids and magazines about boats, and stock prospectus... got better things to do than screw around on guard.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not Zap... There are a ton of guys who have gotten to the big show who still trigger com 2 and practice being Elmer Fudd.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not Zap... There are a ton of guys who have gotten to the big show who still trigger com 2 and practice being Elmer Fudd.

I have never ... NEVER ... at ANY of the majors I've worked at seen another pilot screwing around on guard. And if I did, I would have zero problem telling them that they were being a feminine hygiene product and to knock it off if they don't want to chat with pro standards about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never ... NEVER ... at ANY of the majors I've worked at seen another pilot screwing around on guard. And if I did, I would have zero problem telling them that they were being a feminine hygiene product and to knock it off if they don't want to chat with pro standards about it.

I've seen it 2 times at the place I work (kinda major) and told the guy he was an idiot for doing it both times (GREAT CRM on my part!!!) and I've seen it three times on the jumpseat. One was a 175 RJ operator, one was at your shop and one was at United (on a 777 out of all things).

Every. Single. Time. it was the captain doing it.

Back