Enough is enough. Just stop. Guard.

I've seen it 2 times at the place I work (kinda major) and told the guy he was an idiot for doing it both times (GREAT CRM on my part!!!) and I've seen it three times on the jumpseat. One was a 175 RJ operator, one was at your shop and one was at United (on a 777 out of all things).

Every. Single. Time. it was the captain doing it.

Not tier1 operators.

Not tier1 operators.

That's true... The only issue I've ever seen unfold on a Tier 1 jumpseat was a captain stand in the forward galley and verbally berate (using all kinds of 4 letter and one particular 6 letter words) the gate agent for making us wait for the jetway to be attached to the airplane for about 5 minutes (when we were 20 minutes early). Pre cell phone video days or I'm sure one of the first class passengers would have put it on Youtube.

#southernboys

Around the D.C. SFRA guard is a necessary evil. And the shenanigans do get old.

However...

My buddy and I went up to NY this weekend for a concert - it was only his second time in a GA plane. And some guard shenanigans started like a chain of barking dogs because someone did a cabin PA on the freq.

It ran the gamut - workworkwork, some Quagmire, some other South Park character that he recognized (I didn't) and some other stuff.

And he thought it was hilarious. I had to explain why this was not good form, but there was no doubting that he enjoyed it. So there was that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terrific. Glad we are entertaining to non-pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worse people on guard are the ones who will respond to ops calls as ops.

Coming into Newark a couple of weeks ago, we were about 45min early so I was calling ops to check on the gate. I failed to notice I didn't switch the radio over and of course some jackass responded directly to me... so of course I answered back, then I started hearing the "yer on gaurrrdddd" "gaurdddd".

It's definitely predominantly a NE corridor stretching down to the Carolinas thing. Been flying that area for two weeks straight and almost every flight I have either detuned or turned down the #2. Pittsburgh and west and it starts to get considerably quieter.

I never play around on guard. That said, I firmly believe that if you call ops TWICE on guard you deserve to be made fun of because your first instinct when they don't answer is to make sure you have your own poo in a pile.

For the reason that you specified in your post, any time that we call ramp/ops and do not hear standard phraseology in response, (e.g.: "XXXXX 5295, enter east line, cleared all the way to L2A"), we ought to suspect that we transmitted on guard.

Really any time something seems "off" I suspect it is me that is screwing up and double check everything. Has saved me much embarrassment, though I'm certainly not immune.

That's true... The only issue I've ever seen unfold on a Tier 1 jumpseat was a captain stand in the forward galley and verbally berate (using all kinds of 4 letter and one particular 6 letter words) the gate agent for making us wait for the jetway to be attached to the airplane for about 5 minutes (when we were 20 minutes early). Pre cell phone video days or I'm sure one of the first class passengers would have put it on Youtube.

#southernboys

"...you're about to go on stage!"

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not Zap... There are a ton of guys who have gotten to the big show who still trigger com 2 and practice being Elmer Fudd.

Those types are A-holes and are too young/immature to be in that position...

I've seen it 2 times at the place I work (kinda major) and told the guy he was an idiot for doing it both times (GREAT CRM on my part!!!) and I've seen it three times on the jumpseat. One was a 175 RJ operator, one was at your shop and one was at United (on a 777 out of all things).

Every. Single. Time. it was the captain doing it.

One of the job-fair superstars?

#southernboys
Hence, "do not lose your temper."

Mostly as it doesn't do anything other than make you look like a doofus.

I heard some meows on guard between Nagoya and Shanghai a few nights ago.
team-america-guard.jpg

On the domestic side he will have too many company radio calls to mess around on guard. Make your company departure message. Now your other other company departure message. Now call san francisco for your other other other departure message. Don't forget the selcal check. Now listen to the 19 minute long ORD ATIS with speech impaired robo voice. Oh now could you go ahead and fill out that 79 column logbook designed for a flight from ANC to TPE on the "classic" during this 27 minute leg. K THX.

Of course, half of that will end up being broadcast on guard for the first few weeks.

Thanks for reminding me why I stay in JFK.

Back