Endeavor ALPA to publish delinquent dues'rs

Thanks for the replies guys. The union helped me out in a huge way recently with getting me my move date postponed, and I just went to ALPA website to confirm that I am in good standing, but I had NO idea the above was true. Not that I needed to.

Just a little curious here, the below quoted post got me thinking. I've had three jobs, one a 26 year career, where I was a union member. None of them flying jobs. Two of the three had the option of just paying the admin fees as opposed to being a full member (I get the idea but I never did that), but none of the three would take the dues any way but from your paycheck. Is there some reason the union carriers don't do it this way as a matter of SOP? Seems like it would be much simpler. No?

:confused2:
..I'm on the auto deduct program so last I checked I've always been in good standing.

Is there some reason the union carriers don't do it this way as a matter of SOP? Seems like it would be much simpler. No?

It's normally because the company doesn't want to do it. It's one more thing for the HR/Finance department to manage and unless the union is able to get it in the contract, a lot of companies just won't take the time to do it. That said, it's another (mostly) low/no cost item so a company looks like the bad guy for refusing to do it, but up until maybe 10 years ago, that was a big fight at most regionals during contract negotiations.

Thanks for taking the time to school me BobDDuck! I guess we were never quite that far "at odds" with our employers where I got my union experience.

Thanks for taking the time to school me BobDDuck! I guess we were never quite that far "at odds" with our employers where I got my union experience.

There is a great saying about how a company will always get the union it deserves. Skywest is a good example of this. They've always treated their employees well enough that a union drive always fails. On the other hand, if you look at a place like Trans States or Mesa, you'd have to pry the union out of their cold, dead fingers. Between those two extremes are all kinds of situations. Some places see a no/low cost item (such as dues checkoff) as a place to build good will with their workgroup and offer to help out with out needing negotiating capital to do it and some places see things like that as a way of forcing the union to burn their negotiating capital.

At PSA we had that fight over getting automatic deductions for ALPA PAC donations. In the end we had to let it go. We probably could have gotten it but what we would have had to give up made it not worth it.

The company won't volunteer to do dues checkoff if it is not in the contract because the company would rather the union be penniless and the know if dues checkoff is unavailable many people will forget to pay.

On the topic of dues, at my new company we are represented by the IBT. We have yet to see a representative but the first and only email we have received is about, and has attached, a dues check off form. I could think of better introductions.

If my name shows up, someone grab me a copy. I wanna frame it.

I got a bill from them after I left 9E to go to B6. I've had dues auto deducted for years (basically since year 2 FO since year 1 got a pass due to probation, yadda yadda). If someone jacked the math up and didn't take enough out, that's not my problem. I'm still, to this day, not clear on why when I left a bill showed up about a month later asking for $$$. My last paycheck had the dues taken out just like all the ones previously. So, basically, I took a picture of it, tossed the bill and laughed. If/when it looks like we're going ALPA over here, I'll cross that bridge, however I don't, for the life of me, see how I could owe back dues unless someone that can't work Excel messed up. If that's the case, talk to them, not me. I signed up to have it auto deducted so I wouldn't HAVE to deal with crap like that. And if they weren't taking enough out, how come I didn't find out about it until AFTER I left. And how come I wasn't the ONLY one? I know at least one other 9E guy that got that letter after he left. It's crap like this that kinda sours me on ALPA.

BobDDuck said:
Oh nice... we all get to buy you guys pizza and sandwiches again.

Free ALPA food.

Most pilots think that's ALL ALPA has done for them. I wonder why that could be...hmm.

You guys need to tell your Endeavour MEC to take a walk..

Why is that? Are you saying that those who don't want to pay are supposed to be supported by those that do want to pay?

Also, instead of spending time on here bitching about an accounting issue, folks could have used that time and gotten an answer from ALPA Membership services in half of the time on 'what is up'.

The way it was explained to me by an admin at ALPA was that just because you leave an ALPA carrier, that they don't just boot you from the union. So, they send you a bill in case you want to remain an active member. Or, you can go "inactive".

If my name shows up, someone grab me a copy. I wanna frame it.

I got a bill from them after I left 9E to go to B6. I've had dues auto deducted for years (basically since year 2 FO since year 1 got a pass due to probation, yadda yadda). If someone jacked the math up and didn't take enough out, that's not my problem. I'm still, to this day, not clear on why when I left a bill showed up about a month later asking for $$$. My last paycheck had the dues taken out just like all the ones previously. So, basically, I took a picture of it, tossed the bill and laughed. If/when it looks like we're going ALPA over here, I'll cross that bridge, however I don't, for the life of me, see how I could owe back dues unless someone that can't work Excel messed up. If that's the case, talk to them, not me. I signed up to have it auto deducted so I wouldn't HAVE to deal with crap like that. And if they weren't taking enough out, how come I didn't find out about it until AFTER I left. And how come I wasn't the ONLY one? I know at least one other 9E guy that got that letter after he left. It's crap like this that kinda sours me on ALPA.
Exact same thing happened to me leaving pinnacle. I don't think APA will care though :)

Back