Endeavor ALPA to publish delinquent dues'rs

Effectiveness can be measured many ways. ALPA is far more effective than most unions when it comes to grievances, for example. ALPA's success rate in arbitration is about double that of the average union.

In the areas where ALPA is weak, it's because of a lack of unity amongst its own members.

So, yeah, re-fighting this battle all over again. But I've been talking to the ALPA Membership people. At first it was "You owe it, so here's where to send a check." After talking, they'll work out a payment plan. Then I got to thinking and doing the math.

ALPA says I owe $353. Now, Pinnacle wasn't that stellar in the math department, but working the math at 1.9% (it was before the dues rate changed), that's dues missing on roughly $18,000. Or to put it in perspective, nearly more than I paid ALPA in dues my first year at Pinnacle. Then that triggered something else: I was displaced in 2011, which triggered a LOT of payments from Pinnacle. Payments that according to the ALPA Membership dues FAQ on their website aren't subject to a dues assessment as it was for per diem, hotels and moving expenses. All of that totaled, you guessed it, roughly $18,000 if my memory serves me correctly. I've sent an e-mail to Endeavor's payroll to try to get the pay stubs for 2011, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Bottom line, I'm 90% sure I DON'T owe that money. If Pinnacle lumped that all in with "income," then I could see someone at ALPA saying "Wait.....we're short here." But, in truth, it wasn't subject to a dues assessment. Now, what hoops I have to jump through to PROVE that, who knows.

Bottom line, especially for guys that have gotten letters from ALPA saying you owe back dues, check your stuff. You might not owe it.

So, yeah, re-fighting this battle all over again. But I've been talking to the ALPA Membership people. At first it was "You owe it, so here's where to send a check." After talking, they'll work out a payment plan. Then I got to thinking and doing the math.

ALPA says I owe $353. Now, Pinnacle wasn't that stellar in the math department, but working the math at 1.9% (it was before the dues rate changed), that's dues missing on roughly $18,000. Or to put it in perspective, nearly more than I paid ALPA in dues my first year at Pinnacle. Then that triggered something else: I was displaced in 2011, which triggered a LOT of payments from Pinnacle. Payments that according to the ALPA Membership dues FAQ on their website aren't subject to a dues assessment as it was for per diem, hotels and moving expenses. All of that totaled, you guessed it, roughly $18,000 if my memory serves me correctly. I've sent an e-mail to Endeavor's payroll to try to get the pay stubs for 2011, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Bottom line, I'm 90% sure I DON'T owe that money. If Pinnacle lumped that all in with "income," then I could see someone at ALPA saying "Wait.....we're short here." But, in truth, it wasn't subject to a dues assessment. Now, what hoops I have to jump through to PROVE that, who knows.

Bottom line, especially for guys that have gotten letters from ALPA saying you owe back dues, check your stuff. You might not owe it.
Yoder is still here he might be ableto move things along foryou

Just to piggy back off something you said, its a good idea to have a copy of all your pay-stubs for issues like this. Ive kept copies of my flight records with the corresponding stubs.

Just got off the phone with Membership. It's all taken care of. That was possibly the fastest and least painful thing I've ever done with ALPA, so my hat's (if my airline had them) off to them. Sent an e-mail a few hours ago, it's completely cleared up now. They went back and looked, and that's EXACTLY what happened. Pinnacle just lumped it all into income, so ALPA had no idea that $18k of it was reimbursements. Showing a $0 balance with ALPA now.

You guys that were displaced in 2011, make sure Pinnacle didn't hose you as well......

I just paid mine. It was just over $100, and it wasn't worth the effort to get my pay stubs.
I didn't even have to do that. Once I told them what I figured it was, they got a hold of the MEC Treasurer over at 9E (who also happens to be a good friend), and they were able to track it down pretty quickly. They specifically said "You have a zero balance and don't need to do any research on your own."

I didn't even have to do that. Once I told them what I figured it was, they got a hold of the MEC Treasurer over at 9E (who also happens to be a good friend), and they were able to track it down pretty quickly. They specifically said "You have a zero balance and don't need to do any research on your own."

Mine was due to the (previous) company and ALPA not being on the same page about when I went from mgmt-inactive back to line flying. It would've taken too much to work out, and $100 isn't worth the argument.

Back