Eighteen Year Restoration - Then This

This is a valid critique, and I'm sure everyone involved would welcome anything that would help keep these airplanes safely flying. However, the idea of grounding them all and letting them rot in museums (which hardly anyone visits) is idiotic.

Regarding the crash in the original post, this is the same kind of crash that happens with GA airplanes every month. In this case, nobody got hurt either in the airplane or on the ground. The only damage was the owners wallet and the airplane in question will be recovered and restored in due time.
The problem is that at some point there won’t be the expertise and the supplies to keep the airplanes flying. Shoot, it’s hard to find people and parts for stuff like Navajos, Conquests, etc. Modern manufacturing techniques and digitizing as much of the knowledge base as possible might postpone that day. However at some point it won’t be an operation intentionally shortcutting maintenance like the Collings folks did but simply a group of people who are in over their heads, and the FAA will decide that they no longer have the expertise to oversee these kind of operations to an acceptable (and I’m not talking airline or even 135) level of safety and just quit dealing with it. When that will be, who can say.

The problem is that at some point there won’t be the expertise and the supplies to keep the airplanes flying. Shoot, it’s hard to find people and parts for stuff like Navajos, Conquests, etc. Modern manufacturing techniques and digitizing as much of the knowledge base as possible might postpone that day. However at some point it won’t be an operation intentionally shortcutting maintenance like the Collings folks did but simply a group of people who are in over their heads, and the FAA will decide that they no longer have the expertise to oversee these kind of operations to an acceptable (and I’m not talking airline or even 135) level of safety and just quit dealing with it. When that will be, who can say.

At what point do we decide it’s acceptable to relegate these things to a museum? Sure, it isn’t as cool as seeing them flying around....but do they still NEED to be flying around for us to remember history?

How many Sopwith Camels are still flying around? Or any WW1 aircraft for that matter? Are we just as upset about that as we are with some of these legacy WWII aircraft? The

I just don’t get it the outrage.

At what point do we decide it’s acceptable to relegate these things to a museum? Sure, it isn’t as cool as seeing them flying around....but do they still NEED to be flying around for us to remember history?
I don’t know. I think at this point reasonable people may have differing opinions on the issue and I don’t think it’s clear cut that we’re there or how close we are at the moment.

There was a Ju 52 crash in Switzerland in 2018 that killed 20. Poor maintenance and piloting was to blame, kind of their version of our B-17 crash

for the pilot who was an enlisted man, officers stayed on the ground and pointed.

Japan had both officer and enlisted pilots although about 90% were NCO’s. The Japanese military didn’t view pilots as having “command responsibilities” unless in charge of a squadron etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry but World War II aircraft in general literally do nothing for me.

Fight me. I don’t care.

That's fine, not everyone has the same taste in music either. What kind of airplane makes your jaw hit the floor?

1618799993683.png

OTOH, Seggy has been on record that Warbirds, Acrobatics, Alaska bush flying, 90% of light GA, (basically anything not 141 or 121) should be outlawed.

Last edited:
That's fine, not everyone has the same taste in music either. What kind of airplane makes your jaw hit the floor?

OTOH, Seggy has been on record that Warbirds, Acrobatics, Alaska bush flying, 90% of light GA, (basically anything not 141 or 121) should be outlawed.
Shoot, given what I’ve seen in 11 years of 135 and what I saw before that in light GA he might be more right than I’d like to admit. Oh well.

Yeah, sorry but World War II aircraft in general literally do nothing for me.

I can always appreciate them based on the impact they had in our country’s history, but that’s where my interest ends.

It’s just like classic American muscle cars to me. Boring, uninteresting, and a general waste of my time.

I’d rather have gotten a ride in the Concorde than a B-17 or B-29.

Fight me. I don’t care.
I'll fight ya...LOLOL

Concorde and FOD don't mix...and well Aerian (sp?) trying to go supaaaasonic again...wha't old is new....AGAIN...but less of of a sonic boom.....maybe..

And this is the problem with the modern day Jetcareers forum. Finally, a thread about something aviation related, and still, it's turned into garbage. No longer is Jetcateers a place for likeminded people to interact, about work and hobby...lifestyle even. No longer is it a place to meet new friends, new instructors, new bosses. Modern day Jetcareers has become a place for @Seggy @jtrain609 @SlumTodd_Millionaire and @Cherokee_Cruiser to argue points which they know nobody will agree with, both aviation or political. For a while placing them on ignore made my experience so much better. Sadly though, it seems these trolls have angered so many people that the majority of posts forumwide are just counterarguments to those few antisocial monsters' relentless idiocy.

I've met so many incredible people and gained a wealth of knowledge through this forum. It really is sad what a few people done.

This feels like eulogy. I choose to remember Jetcareers through all the friends, the only downside was seeing @ChasenSFO 's snapchat pictures. Great things too like flying into Oshkosh with @Nark , hanging out in Mojave with @inigo88 , many Seattle or LAX layovers with @mikecweb , many weeks at Reno with Hacker, watching Warbirds in Chino thanks to @fholbert , so many Oshkoshs and South Florida aviating with @CFI A&P ... even eating Texan vietnamese sports bar dinner with Vaguepost King @Autothrust Blue .

Last edited by a moderator:

How many Sopwith Camels are still flying around? Or any WW1 aircraft for that matter? Are we just as upset about that as we are with some of these legacy WWII aircraft? The

I just don’t get it the outrage.

The outrage is that if there are people who own them and have the funds to keep them flying then who has the right to tell them no. There are still plenty of specialty warbird MX shops out there to keep rebuilding and maintaining them. Hell the warbird operator by me is rebuilding a Trimotor right now from basically a data plate. It will be a all new airplane when it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 58822

Airbus - you know, the manufacturer - say that airplane should not be flying either, incidentally. As neat as it would be to see one fly and despite how much I was bummed out at their retirement, I’m glad that the surviving airplanes are more or less permanently preserved. Because I can walk into MOF and see one, and be reminded that yes, indeed, supersonic people hauling was a routine thing once. And the surviving examples are literally impossible to replace.

There DOES come a point where the brain trust - be it regulatory, engineering (in the American sense), mechanical or flight operations - just isn’t there for a given airplane type to be operated acceptably. That brain trust for Concorde, for example, is rapidly dying; the thought of pulling one of those airplanes from a museum and making it airworthy is a “nah” proposition simply because of that.

Same comment and question, just as pertinent but perhaps with lesser force, for warbirds. With maintenance, oversight and “control” being key themes in what was otherwise hitherto a well-heeled operation, etc.

@USMCmech - the point is not the fatalities per passenger mile or per fleet flight hour or whichever metric that more or less can’t be used owing to the small size of the operation, at least, not for me with 9-0-9. The point to me is that that accident was absolutely and completely preventable.

(that one hit my social circles hard, which is why I’m semi-verklempt about it.)

First class job by the pilot!

He ditches between the beach and swimmers.

The aircraft ditched into the water close to Cocoa Beach during the Cocoa Beach Air Show. It first flew for Valiant Air Command in 2020 after an almost 18-year restoration.

Well, at least that didn't take as long to crash, as the plane in the final scene of Dunkirk did.

View attachment 58822

I’ve bumped into people like that. A weird kind of statist where anything not compulsory is forbidden.

Holy crap didn’t realize just how tiny the Zero is compared the Hellcat until that pic. All the “Zero’s” I’ve seen were modified T-6’s.
I remember when I was a kid I think there were only 2 actual airworthy zeros. I know on tradeaplane right now there is a restored zero that has the original engine in a crate but it has a Pratt and Whitney on the nose currently.

And this is the problem with the modern day Jetcareers forum. Finally, a thread about something aviation related, and still, it's turned into garbage. No longer is Jetcateers a place for likeminded people to interact, about work and hobby...lifestyle even. No longer is it a place to meet new friends, new instructors, new bosses. Modern day Jetcareers has become a place for @Seggy @jtrain609 @SlumTodd_Millionaire and @Cherokee_Cruiser to argue points which they know nobody will agree with, both aviation or political. For a while placing them on ignore made my experience so much better. Sadly though, it seems these trolls have angered so many people that the majority of posts forumwide are just counterarguments to those few antisocial monsters' relentless idiocy.

I've met so many incredible people and gained a wealth of knowledge through this forum. It really is sad what a few people done.

This feels like eulogy. I choose to remember Jetcareers through all the friends, the only downside was seeing @ChasenSFO 's snapchat pictures. Great things too like flying into Oshkosh with @Nark , hanging out in Mojave with @inigo88 , many Seattle or LAX layovers with @mikecweb , many weeks at Reno with Hacker, watching Warbirds in Chino thanks to @fholbert , so many Oshkoshs and South Florida aviating with @CFI A&P ... even eating Texan vietnamese sports bar dinner with Vaguepost King @Autothrust Blue .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back