Eighteen Year Restoration - Then This

Is there any way to get into the warbird community without being rich or otherwise connected? I've always wanted to fly warbirds, and volunteered to help a group trying to restore an A-26 to flying condition over a decade ago (but they never met back up after I joined them, and I haven't heard anything since). I've found the airtanker community similarly impenetrable.

Is there any way to get into the warbird community without being rich or otherwise connected? I've always wanted to fly warbirds, and volunteered to help a group trying to restore an A-26 to flying condition over a decade ago (but they never met back up after I joined them, and I haven't heard anything since). I've found the airtanker community similarly impenetrable.
Air tanker community shouldn’t be that impenetrable? There’s a number of your former Alaska coworkers in that segment, specifically Bridger Aviation. Though as I posted elsewhere you have to do the air attack usually first.

The CAF is always looking for volunteers, just make sure you don’t pay to be one. It won’t be glamorous but you can get your foot in the door.

There are two airplanes I miss, actually I think I miss the people more than I miss the airplanes. As fantastic as they might be they're not worth a thing if there isn't a few people trying to make it all work.

Is there any way to get into the warbird community without being rich or otherwise connected?
Of course the answer is "yes" here, but there is obviously nuance.

I'm not being snarky when I say you're not going to find anyone who is going to pluck you out of the crowd and lead you by the hand to a cockpit of a waiting aircraft. Getting involved as a pilot is going to be transactional, and you're going to have to bring something to the table. You can bring experience, money, or volunteerism to the transaction, and generally it is going to require some level of all three in combination.

Option one is, you can buy your own entry-level aircraft, a'la Stearman, PT-19, PT-22, etc., and not rely on joining up to an organiztion. This is doable on an airline pilot budget, and aside from initial checkout, you can play to your heart and wallet are content without anyone else. There are good numbers of other folks who own and fly 'em, too, so there's a community to fly/socialize with if you so desire, and ready-made mentors/help to learn new skills, maintain, etc. Plus, this experience is valuable if you later want to move up to more complicated warbirds that are beyond your personal budget.

Option two is the one with the nuanced and complicated answer. I look at it a lot like the hunt for a career flying job we've all gone through, where there are skills you're going to have to spend your own time and money to develop (e.g. the basic tailwheel flying experience), then you're going to have to network and go check out the people and organizations that are keeping warbirds flying (e.g. museums, CAF, etc) and join. Those orgs are generally looking for people to join and help, but you're going to have to make the first move with them. After that, it depends on what they need and what you're bringing to the table. The personality of each org is different, and what they're looking for is different. What you bring to the table for each one may differ, too. Again, the combination of experience, money, and volunteerism is going to be different for each one.

The money part of the combination can be very low, but it is probably going to require you to do a lot of volunteer work even if you are bringing experience to the mix.

It probably won't be a one-shot deal either way. I've been associated with a dozen or more private owners, private museums, or nonprofit orgs that own, restore, and fly warbirds over the years. Each of them had their own objectives, and sometimes my objectives and what I had to offer them merged up. Sometimes they differed, and I moved on to something different.

I'm currently primarily involved with the Commemorative Air Force (in two different units in two different locations), but that's also after I personally spent a decade or more as a "never CAF'er" after the negative interactions I had with it in the 80s and early 90s. Of course, I'm also bringing an entirely different palate of experience to the mix today than I did 30 years ago, just as the CAF has a different organizational goal and mindset today from then.

Orgs change, people change, circumstances change.

Hope that's not too obtuse. I can quote some numbers if you're interested in knowing an example of the costs, and I'm sure you're aware that there are people right here on JC who are initial networking contact points associated with some different points-of-entry into the warbird world who are willing to help.

There are two airplanes I miss, actually I think I miss the people more than I miss the airplanes. As fantastic as they might be they're not worth a thing if there isn't a few people trying to make it all work.
I think this is the case with most of the recreational flying world; show up for the airplanes, come back for the people and relationships.

Of course the answer is "yes" here, but there is obviously nuance.

I'm not being snarky when I say you're not going to find anyone who is going to pluck you out of the crowd and lead you by the hand to a cockpit of a waiting aircraft. Getting involved as a pilot is going to be transactional, and you're going to have to bring something to the table. You can bring experience, money, or volunteerism to the transaction, and generally it is going to require some level of all three in combination.

Option one is, you can buy your own entry-level aircraft, a'la Stearman, PT-19, PT-22, etc., and not rely on joining up to an organiztion. This is doable on an airline pilot budget, and aside from initial checkout, you can play to your heart and wallet are content without anyone else. There are good numbers of other folks who own and fly 'em, too, so there's a community to fly/socialize with if you so desire, and ready-made mentors/help to learn new skills, maintain, etc. Plus, this experience is valuable if you later want to move up to more complicated warbirds that are beyond your personal budget.

Option two is the one with the nuanced and complicated answer. I look at it a lot like the hunt for a career flying job we've all gone through, where there are skills you're going to have to spend your own time and money to develop (e.g. the basic tailwheel flying experience), then you're going to have to network and go check out the people and organizations that are keeping warbirds flying (e.g. museums, CAF, etc) and join. Those orgs are generally looking for people to join and help, but you're going to have to make the first move with them. After that, it depends on what they need and what you're bringing to the table. The personality of each org is different, and what they're looking for is different. What you bring to the table for each one may differ, too. Again, the combination of experience, money, and volunteerism is going to be different for each one.

The money part of the combination can be very low, but it is probably going to require you to do a lot of volunteer work even if you are bringing experience to the mix.

It probably won't be a one-shot deal either way. I've been associated with a dozen or more private owners, private museums, or nonprofit orgs that own, restore, and fly warbirds over the years. Each of them had their own objectives, and sometimes my objectives and what I had to offer them merged up. Sometimes they differed, and I moved on to something different.

I'm currently primarily involved with the Commemorative Air Force (in two different units in two different locations), but that's also after I personally spent a decade or more as a "never CAF'er" after the negative interactions I had with it in the 80s and early 90s. Of course, I'm also bringing an entirely different palate of experience to the mix today than I did 30 years ago, just as the CAF has a different organizational goal and mindset today from then.

Orgs change, people change, circumstances change.

Hope that's not too obtuse. I can quote some numbers if you're interested in knowing an example of the costs, and I'm sure you're aware that there are people right here on JC who are initial networking contact points associated with some different points-of-entry into the warbird world who are willing to help.
The real usable skill is working on the things, not flying them, in my experience; can’t swing a cat without hitting someone who thinks driving around in one is cool, but has no otherwise useful ability related to airplanes.

“Money or labor; your choice.”

The real usable skill is working on the things, not flying them, in my experience; can’t swing a cat without hitting someone who thinks driving around in one is cool, but has no otherwise useful ability related to airplanes.

“Money or labor; your choice.”

Most people vastly under estimate how much help they can be with MX. "I'm just a pilot, not an A&P." A half trained monkey can hold a flashlight, hold a cowling in place, go grab another screwdriver, or pass out water bottles.

Few airports have more flying warbirds than Chino.

Fuel prices? I see no shortage of cash in those hangars.

Most people vastly under estimate how much help they can be with MX. "I'm just a pilot, not an A&P." A half trained monkey can hold a flashlight, hold a cowling in place, go grab another screwdriver, or pass out water bottles.
“It’s a license to read. Hold this. Hand me that. Now hand me that. Hold this.”

True statement here. Anything bigger than a T-41 requires two people to handle the cowling. With proper interest and enthusiasm anyone will gladly accept a helping hand pulling the cowling on or off an airplane.

For me, I will always want some utility in my toys. Even if you have the wallet to afford a warbird, you might need a hangar full of warbirds to have one ready to fly. Even then, is there a mechanic at your destination that will touch your toy if you have a minor problem?

A Yak-52 would meet my desires but it's still a Cold War trainer with a radial engine. The overhauls are adorable but you are grounded for six months.

My latest fascination is a Harmon Rocket. It's a hot rod game enough for some light acro and can be tamed for XC. I saw one recently for under $200k with IFR panel, autopilot, and synthetic vision.

IO-540 would be a familiar sight for an A/P at a small field. 230mph cruise @ 75%.
With warbirds, unless you enjoy the MX and logistics to keep one running, not sure how long the thrill would last.

I’d just go with the one of the Russian “new” production Yak-3’s. I mean, that’s just sexy right there

1635603903128.jpeg

I can quote some numbers if you're interested in knowing an example of the costs, and I'm sure you're aware that there are people right here on JC who are initial networking contact points associated with some different points-of-entry into the warbird world who are willing to help.

60K for a light tailwheel to spend a couple years waking those dead Cessna feet. Fly it for a couple of years and 200 hours of tailwheel time. Doesn't burn much gas and MX is pretty minor on such a simple airplane. Keep it or sell it when you want to step up. This is where I'm at right now.

200-250K for a decent T-6 in today's market. Now you are flying a "real warbird". It's a lot more thirsty to make all that noise, but not too bad if you fly 30-50 hours per year. Other than the engine, MX isn't much more than any GA single engine retract. I have no clue what insurance is like, but I'm guessing liability and non movement coverage isn't bad, but hull coverage is probably pretty pricy. I might go this route in a few years.

That's about the ceiling of what a normal people can afford. The good news is that they hold their value as long as they are maintained, so the purchase investment will come back to you when you sell.

There are a few "modestly priced" warbirds, but fuel, MX and insurance will eat you alive until you have a very expensive hangar queen. I saw a TBM Avenger for sale for about 400K which I would love if I ever hit the lottery.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 20.15.55.png

This is the list of time/experience requirements to fly the T-6 in the Commemorative Air Force.

There is an initial sponsorship cost from between $3500 - $6000, depending on individual units and how they choose to fund their maintenance/engine fund.

Hourly cost to fly is anywhere from $350/hour wet to $500/hour wet, depending on unit.

View attachment 61493

This is the list of time/experience requirements to fly the T-6 in the Commemorative Air Force.

There is an initial sponsorship cost from between $3500 - $6000, depending on individual units and how they choose to fund their maintenance/engine fund.

Hourly cost to fly is anywhere from $350/hour wet to $500/hour wet, depending on unit.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates…

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 20.20.40.png

Here's the list of experience, hours, and currency for the CAF primary trainers.

Sponsorship costs for these guys are generally between $1500-$2500, with hourly rates in the $150-$350/hour, with the same unit-dependent caveats as in the previous post on the T-6/SNJ.

Back