Distpatcher

Exactly. The most important thing in a job is that you're happy and satisfied with it. Compensation or otherwise, happiness is entirely up to you. Life's way too short for the alternative.

Absolutely, well said. It really is a good job, IMO. I don't expect to ever make the six-figure money in my career but at the end of the day the sense of dignity that comes with a job well done is enhanced by knowing that you have helped hundreds of people reach their destinations safely and on-time (when able). You develop relationships with the crews and are always reminded there are people relying on you to make the safe and efficient decision. At the end of the day, it's a satisfying feeling of a job well done.

An entry level dispatcher typically starts at a regional carrier. When I started, in ’96, entry level pay was between $8 and $9 an hour. When I left the profession about 4 years ago, the entry level was between $12 and $13 an hour. Dispatchers are typically paid by the hour, and overtime usually compensated at time and a half. Pay at the regionals typically tops out between 40K and 50K, but this is after 10 to 15 years of service. When I left, after about 10 years, my hourly pay was just over $17 an hour. Not a bad wage, but certainly not the 100K you have been told about.
The 100K salaries are found at the majors, pre 9/11. They still pay fairly well, but as I said, it is not something you will get to quickly. It’s just like any other profession. You start at the bottom, build your qualifications, work hard to be the best you can be, and eventually you will get a shot. That said, a lot of the major airlines like to hire internally (at least they used to), so that is something to consider as well. You could get on with the major of your choice as a whatever, and work your way up. It’ll probably still take you 10 years to get there, but it’s another path to consider.

Back