Digging around the home office

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I’m tearing apart my home office desk looking for my Korean “T Money” card for my work trip this Monday and I run across some interesting things.

I discovered I have about 18 military-style “challenge coins” from various sources both civilian and military from various activities I’ve been involved with. What in the world does one do with a “challenge coin”?

IMG_8032.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m tearing apart my home office desk looking for my Korean “T Money” card for my work trip this Monday and I run across some interesting things.

I discovered I have about 18 military-style “challenge coins” from various sources both civilian and military from various activities I’ve been involved with. What in the world does one do with a “challenge coin”?

View attachment 71363
Damn got like 5 of those T Money cards sitting at home. Too bad we don’t have V files anymore huh….

I had a secret service one (given after a particularly brutal night trying to get into DCA about 13 years ago) that I kept until last year. Was was FB friends with the (then) FO so I got his address and mailed it to him. I figured his kids would find it cool.

Hope you can find your tmoney card. Super easy to reload but none of the machines actually have new ones it seems like and going in to a store I'd hit or miss.

What in the world does one do with a “challenge coin”?
I have them from different places around the world. There are a couple of them that miiiight get me a little extra play in some sketchy places with the authorities where they aren't given out like business cards as they are here in the US. Especially by our federal LE types. I have a relative who works at the USSS, as an administrative aid. She buys them at work and regularly just gives them out to folks

I have (what I consider) one actual challenge coin. It's purpose is essentially to be proof you were part of something. If you were to be bragging someplace that your were part of an elite unit of some type or some particularly special operation and someone else who was in that unit / operation heard it, he/she could "challenge" you if they believed you were lying. If you have your coin, the challenger must buy for the bar or leave. If you don't well, you get the idea. I'm not military so there may be more to this but this is how I understand it.

I've seen this play out in a DC hotel bar with a buddy who was in his 60's (15ish years ago) was an early UDT guy, he was talking about it when a loner from across the bar challenged him. It was an expensive move.

I would guess @MikeD would have quite the stack from both units and operations....

The one I carry is nowhere near the levels mentioned above in stature.

Hope you can find your tmoney card. Super easy to reload but none of the machines actually have new ones it seems like and going in to a store I'd hit or miss.
Found it! Well, I'm dragging Kristie to ICN with me so I wanted her to have her own.

I might just pick up the sticker for my phone and just use the app instead.

But I like my "Line Friends" tho...

tempImageuHtlf0.png

Interesting!

So if I get caught busting minimums and the Feds show up, I can hand over a challenge coin and say something like "Shaka, when the walls fell" and get out of jail, free? :)

1682706243163.jpeg

Not exxaaactly what I meant but OK.

I spent about 18 months working with a guy who put all of his Challenge Coins under a class table top. It was pretty impressive for a former 1st Lieutenant. 2,300 coins I'm told.

This Lieutenant almost died, but a Private carried him to safety while under enemy fire. The Lieutenant lost both legs, the Private got a MOH for his actions.

1682709830500.png

Last edited:
Man I can't think anything else with a of a bigger gulf between extremes of pride and cringe than exists with challenge coins.

Some of them are truly valueable on a personal level. Others are like, "You walked past the StarZero booth and failed to avoid eye contact at the safety standdown 2013!"

But then even as above, quantity is a quality of its own. Wild.

I spent about 18 months working with a guy who put all of his Challenge Coins under a class table top. It was pretty impressive for a former 1st Lieutenant. 2,300 coins I'm told.

This Lieutenant almost died, but a Private carried him to safety while under enemy fire. The Lieutenant lost both legs, the Private got a MOH for his actions.
Is that you Lt. Dan...

Is that you Lt. Dan...
I spent many hours sitting at that conference table. Some of those coins were very inappropriate, clearly HR never sat at that table.

View attachment 71375

The suck part is, you can only see one side of each coin.

An old sectional in my drawer.

I have some old Jepps in a box somewhere. IIRC DFW had only three runways and one doubled as a taxiway. When I flew corporate into there we usually got the taxiway runway.

IMG_6218.JPG

Looks like the San Juan Capistrano had already closed.
IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

Last edited:
Whoooooooah!

I remember riding my ten speed down to TLR to the pilot shop and thumbing through Piper manuals!

An old sectional in my drawer.

I have some old Jepps in a box somewhere. IIRC DFW had only three runways and one doubled as a taxiway. When I flew corporate into there we usually got the taxiway runway.

View attachment 71380

Looks like the San Juan Capistrano had already close
View attachment 71387

I still remember when SAN had two runways, which some of my old approach plates from back in the day still showed.

I’ve also flown the LOC/DME-B to RW 9 at SAN, which is an approach to NZY across the bay. Used to be an ILS-A, but that was changed long ago too. The LOC/DME-A comes from the RW27 side for the same thing.

6F862960-C2D3-485A-8C8C-19497D4D70B3.jpeg

Back