Digging around the home office

Man I can't think anything else with a of a bigger gulf between extremes of pride and cringe than exists with challenge coins.

Some of them are truly valueable on a personal level. Others are like, "You walked past the StarZero booth and failed to avoid eye contact at the safety standdown 2013!"

But then even as above, quantity is a quality of its own. Wild.

I have one from the FSDO lol- engraved with my TCE number… I keep that one in my “ramp check go bag”

Some were random, like flying the last flight for Excellus/ITT when they sold to Harris corp.

But yeah some are like “No cavity club” for the kids lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still remember when SAN had two runways, which some of my old approach plates from back in the day still showed.

I’ve also flown the LOC/DME-B to RW 9 at SAN, which is an approach to NZY across the bay. Used to be an ILS-A, but that was changed long ago too. The LOC/DME-A comes from the RW27 side for the same thing.
When I was home on leave from the AF I took my parents there for dinner on night, right next to the runway a restaurant called Boon's Flair Path, did you ever eat there? It was after dark and VFR base to final rwy 31 was right over the Coronado Bay Bridge. Final approach across the harbor.

1682726574275.png

This was inspirational. Turns out there's all sorts of hilarity that's just been hanging around in the ole desk-drawers. The standout tonight was, in the spirit of Derg circa '04. this little gem from I think '08 (maybe '09). They told me I had to wear a collared shirt, so I just put it under a smock or weird sweater or something to make it clear that I wasn't *in any way* an airline pilot, then blasted off in to the night like an idiot.

Attachments

• PXL_20230429_020351878.jpg
    PXL_20230429_020351878.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
I discovered I have about 18 military-style “challenge coins” from various sources both civilian and military from various activities I’ve been involved with. What in the world does one do with a “challenge coin”?
Affix to a chain. Wear chain around the neck with icon nestled in chest hair or within cleavage. Unbutton top three buttons of shirt.

Present!

This was inspirational. Turns out there's all sorts of hilarity that's just been hanging around in the ole desk-drawers. The standout tonight was, in the spirit of Derg circa '04. this little gem from I think '08 (maybe '09). They told me I had to wear a collared shirt, so I just put it under a smock or weird sweater or something to make it clear that I wasn't *in any way* an airline pilot, then blasted off in to the night like an idiot.
I still say there’s a portrait of you growing slowly older in an attic somewhere in Kentucky

I still say there’s a portrait of you growing slowly older in an attic somewhere in Kentucky
Just one? The crow's feet disagree. What I find hilarious is that the ID could have been printed by a Tandy 2000, but even when I got stopped by the Atlanta airport coppers wandering around with three days beard growth and with (literally, not a word of a lie) a sleeping-bag over my back, I just showed that to them and they were like "ok, well, that's legit enough for us, let's get some Krispy-Kremes!" Sleep tight, America. Should be fine.

Baby Boris! D'awwwwww!

I can almost smell the clove cigarette and hear Bauhaus in the background.

I can almost smell the clove cigarette and hear Bauhaus in the background.

One of my best friends to this day met me a couple of years prior to that and, to hear him tell it, thought I was "probably in to Skinny Puppy" and yeah, probably smoked cloves. Do I just have "take my lunch money" printed on my face? Jesus, take it easy.

One of my best friends to this day met me a couple of years prior to that and, to hear him tell it, thought I was "probably in to Skinny Puppy" and yeah, probably smoked cloves. Do I just have "take my lunch money" printed on my face? Jesus, take it easy.

I'm a recovering former Hot Topic Mall Goth. I know my kind. I SEE YOU.

I'm a recovering former Hot Topic Mall Goth. I know my kind. I SEE YOU.
To be fair to myself, since no one else seems to be willing to be so, I was more a peripheral scenester. Never in the mosh-pit, but also never at the mall. I was on the Math Team but also the Soccer Team, wasn't terribly great at those, and sort of in the same vein, liked cool music but wasn't very good at that, either. Jesus, you people are rough. I'll just go suck my thumb.

To be fair to myself, since no one else seems to be willing to be so, I was more a peripheral scenester. Never in the mosh-pit, but also never at the mall. I was on the Math Team but also the Soccer Team, wasn't terribly great at those, and sort of in the same vein, liked cool music but wasn't very good at that, either. Jesus, you people are rough. I'll just go suck my thumb.
Mall Goth is probably an inaccurate descriptor. In my town of 20,000 people, that means I wore a lot of black and listened to too much Joy Division and Alien Sex Fiend.

Mall Goth is probably an inaccurate descriptor. In my town of 20,000 people, that means I wore a lot of black and listened to too much Joy Division and Alien Sex Fiend.
Well so definitely a communist, in any case. Peristroyka, comrade.

Norcross VOR…in a cemetery, right across from where the put Gwinnett Place Mall.

I’m pretty sure they removed it and took it down to PDK.

They just decommissioned ATL VOR :(

It's not on the pic I posted, but that chart also had some 4 course radio ranges left.

My GF gave me a collection of vintage sectionals, and I managed to acquire a collection of mint condition Cessna brochures from the 50's and 60's from an FBO that shut down. Somewhere, there is going to be a "theme" room with some of these things framed, but it is still going to be a bit before I get around to it.

Back