Digging around the home office

I had AT&T and a grandfathered "all you can eat" international wifi plan which turned out to be a zillion dollars when I started shopping around for alternatives.

I got Tmobile Go5G BusinessPlus and it's sick, I love it. But the standard Go5G plans are what I was getting with AT&T and a lot of other good stuff.
I’ll have to talk to you about this, because I’m currently on the grandfathered “all you can eat” AT&T plan. I’m guessing I can do this for much cheaper?

I’ll have to talk to you about this, because I’m currently on the grandfathered “all you can eat” AT&T plan. I’m guessing I can do this for much cheaper?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Cheaper plus T-Mobile periodically throws in random goodies like deep discount concert tickets or 6 months of Apple TV or Disney+.

I'm starting to be convinced T-mobile is better. I've been Verizon since pretty much the beginning, and when my wife swapped over to my plan, from Tmobile, her service has sucked out here on the island. I've seen plenty of other places that was the case too, for me

Raise your hand if you ever go on inflight wifi for that free internet T mobile offer, but because you don't have a T mobile number yourself, randomly go through your contacts and try each number before one finally works - because that individual had T mobile.

No? Just me?

Okay then :)

I'm starting to be convinced T-mobile is better. I've been Verizon since pretty much the beginning, and when my wife swapped over to my plan, from Tmobile, her service has sucked out here on the island. I've seen plenty of other places that was the case too, for me

I switched to T-Mobile years ago. You should be able to get the military plans as a veteran. Just bring your VA card or DD-214

I guess I need to check out these go5g plans. I’m still on the original plan I switched to from decades ago. But I was so happy to get away from AT&T.

When I end up in Caribbean and Latin American countries on trips i find the data plan is lacking. It’s still 2g/3g. So I just tether my T-Mobile phone to the EFB when I’m south of the border. Then I use WiFi calling to make phone calls back to dispatch and maintenance while tethered.

My biggest problem with T-Mobile is they don’t seem to have cell service in MCO (while I’m in the plane) or FLL (inside the terminal 4 and in the plane). So I find it ironic that while I’m in these two airports because my airline flies me in and out of these two cities all of the time I have to tether my cell phone in FLL just like I do when I’m south of the border. The EFB doesn’t have service in MCO either so the tethering workaround doesn’t work in MCO.

Staying with T-Mobile internationally while on layovers makes sense. You’re only there temporarily for 36-72 hours.

Didn’t know if just staying with T-mobile was going to work for a month in Europe. Not really looking to make calls or texts while in Europe but just data so the 3g data I’ve experienced while in Latin America/Caribbean concerns me if I only get 3g in Europe using T-mobile.

Last edited:
Didn’t know if just staying with T-mobile was going to work for a month in Europe. Not really looking to make calls or texts while in Europe but just data so the 3g data I’ve experienced while in Latin America/Caribbean concerns me if I only get 3g in Europe using T-mobile.

You can pay for temporary upgraded international data. It was a few bucks a day I think. I was getting 5G in parts of Norway and 4G everywhere else.

Even without paying for the upgraded data, I've been getting 4G and periodically 5G in Japan and Korea recently. Haven't been to Europe in a bit, but had solid 4G in Ecuador a few months ago (when I had service at all).

FWIW, I chuck $20 a month at a Czech telecom and have an eSIM that works great everywhere in Europe. Our AT&T family plan is similarly grandfathered domestically like @DPApilot has, so I didn't want to upset that particular apple cart.

Tmobile is actually Deustch Telekom so I'm sure the Germans have their mandatory smoke break too! :)

(Yes yes, organized labor is about more than just smoke breaks, I know I know, I kid I kid)

Seriously, I was with AT&T for over 20 years and am a "I turn on the phone, data roaming is always on, no matter where I am"-type and said "There's NO WAY, Tmobile is offering all that on all my lines, WHATS THE CATCH WOMAN?!" with the store a few weeks ago.

And on the business plan, no 5g caps worldwide.

Been really happy with T-mobile service in Europe. Big fan of getting LTE or 5g in Europe for free, without paying a few bucks a day. Cheap too.

I second Google Fi. Works better than T-Mobile overseas IMO. Specifically the data side of things. I think Google contracts out to different carriers overseas. They primarily use the T-Mobile network in the US.

I second Google Fi. Works better than T-Mobile overseas IMO. Specifically the data side of things. I think Google contracts out to different carriers overseas. They primarily use the T-Mobile network in the US.
The idea of giving them more of my data just doesn't sit well, even though they've already got almost all of it.

Y’all ever think about how the “Darmok” episode was basically describing memes and reaction gifs; basically using shared cultural tropes — often in a visual format —that requires extensive cultural knowledge, rather than direct verbal articulation to have any significance?

Ever have to explain to your gram-gram what a “Chad” is or why that smiling face is drawn weird.

Beats the hell outta me how that culture managed to build a spaceship. Here on earth that kind of chatter just seems to make weebs and neo-Nazis.

edit: on the other hand, our own space program started off with a bunch of Nazis.

But on the third hand, they lost, and weren’t trying to build an ICBM using only lolcattes.

Last edited:
Y’all ever think about how the “Darmok” episode was basically describing memes and reaction gifs; basically using shared cultural tropes — often in a visual format —that requires extensive cultural knowledge, rather than direct verbal articulation to have any significance?
Having used the Tamarian format in conversations to describe a meme when the meme was not present, sure.

And your points are well taken re: weebs and Nazis, though seeing memes in official HALMEC comms explaining their new contract pay language was possibly the best explanation of how pilots get paid I’ve seen.

Back