Sun country opening

Does anyone have further insight into their operations? I would consider working at Sun Country if I knew a couple of things like: job security (no one I know, even family and friends in MSP, has flown with them) and company growth (short and long term goals). Is anyone on here from Sun Country? I am looking for greater insight than what's provided on various websites including their own... By the spreadsheet here on the forum they pay well, so that's a plus...

Does anyone have further insight into their operations? I would consider working at Sun Country if I knew a couple of things like: job security (no one I know, even family and friends in MSP, has flown with them) and company growth (short and long term goals). Is anyone on here from Sun Country? I am looking for greater insight than what's provided on various websites including their own... By the spreadsheet here on the forum they pay well, so that's a plus...

bumping this and hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

bumping this and hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.
I would assume they have a small seniority list and probably no one on here. If I were still at a regional and struggling to get attention from a major I'd put in there. With all the growth they have coming with the Amazon contract it's probably a good time to move off the bottom of the seniority list rather quickly, that's always a positive.

SY is a ULCC and while small, they have continued to grow the fleet for both pax and soon cargo operations. I would suspect hiring of a few additional dispatchers once the new planes start to arrive. I can say that their HQ area is beautiful during the Summer, Winters are noticeably different.

As promised, here is my report on Sun Country.

They flew me in and my flight landed about an hour before my Interview. They e-mailed 3 Uber vouchers to get to and from the airport, sweet! After an uneventful Uber in a black Cadillac XTS with heated rear seats (much needed in Minneapolis) I had finally reached HQ. I was given a paper background check form to fill out. I was immediately taken back by how nice the facility was! They just moved into a new facility after an investor put 150 million into the company, last year l believe.

I met with 2 dispatch managers and 1 SOC manager. The interview was laid back and the managers were straight forward with no beating around the bush which was awesome. I'd say it took about 45 minutes of normal interview stuff. They handed the page out of the contract with the pay scale on it and we talked about that along with benefits. Pay starts out 42.5K plus 58 cents shift diff for day shift. Year 2 it bumps up to 50K. Per the Dispatch manager is is modeled similar to Frontier. We also talked about the culture at Sun Country and their new amazon contract. I was taken back for fingerprints after the interview. They have 30 planes currently and are getting 10 new planes with the amazon contract.

The operation consists of Scheduled 121,focused on leisure travel, so mostly vacation spots for the scheduled stuff. They do a lot of military charters to the more sandy parts of the world. That means international experience as well. They said they do a lot of sports team charters as too. According to them, the charter business is booming for them because of the 737 MAX ongoing Saga. Now it appears they are in the cargo game as well with the new amazon contract.

They currently employ 15 dispatchers and 5 managers. Training is 3.5 weeks in classroom with a guy that's been with the company for 35 years, so i'm sure he knows his stuff. It's real family feel and casual culture, which I loved.

I didn't expect to leave impressed, but I was! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get out of a regional!

If anyone has questions let me know and I'd be glad to answer if I can.

Last edited:
Back